Lehner and Gustafsson aftermaths

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
by now we've all witnessed the results of both players being traded, Robin Lehner getting Vegas to the semifinals, beating the Hawks along the way and Gustafsson seeing 17 games with Calgary...rumours of Lehner resigning with Vegas and Gustafsson will be testing the UFA market.

So how did the Hawks' fare in these deals?

Acquired Malcom Subban, three year NHL backup...he's a RFA that I would put on par with Collin Delia, should be given ever opportunity to vie for a spot and should be offered somewhere in the $1 million range, his only 'real' game action was the second half of the shutout win vs Blues in the exhibition bubble game, he played well regardless the importance
Acquired prospect defenceman Slava Demin, two years into his college career at Denver(with Mitchell), was in Vegas' top 10 prospect list, allowing him to eventually fill a spot two-three yrs from now after the Beaudins, Krys, Kalynuks and Regulas of the world make their cases...he's the 'next next wave' with Alex Vlasic
Acquired a second rounder in this yrs draft which was a qualifying round losing Penguins pick ending up at #46...great grab, Bowman can find another 'hidden' gem there I hope
Acquired a conditional third rounder in this yrs draft from the Flames, could be theirs or the Oilers(Edmonton decides whether or not to send this yrs or 2021s) which would be either 76 or 81, which ever it'll go along nicely with the Hawks' own 79th pick...I can see maybe a package of these two being moved for a higher selection, possibly, or not

So 4 above average prospects for two expiring contracts...prospect goalie with NHL experience, prospect dman, and two of the top 80 eligible prospects in this yrs draft

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If you don't have your expiring contracts re-signed by the trade deadline, move them. Always.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
If you don't have your expiring contracts re-signed by the trade deadline, move them. Always.
Agreed...to a point, obviously not all our pending UFAs weren't dealt...Corey wasn't, it was decided to keep Corey now whether that had been in a decision of Lehner or Crawford we'll never know...

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Agreed...to a point, obviously not all our pending UFAs weren't dealt...Corey wasn't, it was decided to keep Corey now whether that had been in a decision of Lehner or Crawford we'll never know...
You had to keep one of Lehner and Crawford. Of the two Lehner probably commanded the higher return and Crawford is easier to resign to a short deal.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I was a little surprised Gus wasn’t traded at last season’s deadline. He finished 6th (maybe 5th?) in D scoring and seemed like he would’ve been a perfect TDL option for some teams, especially because he has such a cheap cap hit.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I don't think GMs are dumb. Maybe we would have gotten a bit more for him but maybe not. GMs have heard of outlier seasons too. I guarantee if someone had offered a first for Gus in the summer he would have been traded.

Lots of people on here not only didn't want him traded but wanted to give him a huge long term deal.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
“but advanced stats said he was good”

Casually ignores Gus making a boneheaded play leading to another goal against
Is this imaginary arguments or something? Anyone with understanding of what advanced stats saw was Gus at the bottom of high danger chances against in the league.

Though last year that was better in his overal defense and turnovers was better, just at thr expense of offense.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Is this imaginary arguments or something? Anyone with understanding of what advanced stats saw was Gus at the bottom of high danger chances against in the league.

Though last year that was better in his overal defense and turnovers was better, just at thr expense of offense.

People were spamming natural stat trick and hero charts about Gustafsson during the 2019 season writing about how he is great defensively and not a complete pylon

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yeah...Gus' D-game was nonexistant and propped up by Keith. He was essentially a PPQB...and that's about it. Like others have said he should have been traded when his numbers were high. Advanced stats be damned in this case: Eye test he was little better than Runblad defensively, made boneheaded mistakes and focused way too much offensively. With the team D struggles the 'hawks have had for the past 5 or so years, they could ill-afford one-dimensional player like him in my opinion.

Lehner...if the 'hawks could have tucked him in I would have been okay with that (and it would have required moving assets that aren't easily movable, like deHaan and Shaw while injured), but they obviously couldn't. I'm glad we got something for him but I don't think Subban will make much of a dent in the league.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Gus was actually really good on the PP. Boqvist is not there yet, may never be, even if he turns out to be the better overall defenseman.

His point totals went down because Boqvist was inserted into the #1PP. If that was the plan all along, I'd have rather traded Gus last offseason when his value was sky high.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think Boqvist is already as good overall as a defenseman. But yeah certainly not proven he will be better on the PP yet.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
People were spamming natural stat trick and hero charts about Gustafsson during the 2019 season writing about how he is great defensively and not a complete pylon
upload_2020-9-25_15-17-32.png

Seems pretty bad defensively to me.

Reactions: hockeydoug

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So VGK deal is complete

Robin Lehner(who recently resigned for 5 yrs) for Malcom Subban(a yet to qualified pending rfa), Slava Demin, defence prospect at Denver U and now Drew Commesso, USAdt goalie heading to Boston U

Next up the CGY deal, Edmonton kept their 3rd so Hawks will get Flames #81 pick...

Does Chicago go with a defenceman as trade return for rental Erik Gustafsson?

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
And it is Wyatt Kaiser, defenceman is the return for RENTAL Erik Gustafsson from Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->