Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbones6287

Sep 7, 2014
I don't disagree with drafting goalies, as long as it's not high in the draft, but when you look at where goalies come from, don't think it's really as important, especially considering how unpredictable the position is.

I think I agree with you, but if a great goalie prospect is available R2-3 I think you absolutely take him. Develop a stable of goalies, use one here and there to trade for other positions of need.:yo:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think I agree with you, but if a great goalie prospect is available R2-3 I think you absolutely take him. Develop a stable of goalies, use one here and there to trade for other positions of need.:yo:
Early second round seems to be the hot spot for goalies now a days. We saw the run last year. The goalie class doesn't look too promising this year however.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Early second round seems to be the hot spot for goalies now a days. We saw the run last year. The goalie class doesn't look too promising this year however.

Vladar, Blakewood, Tretiak and Tomek will be gone before the Flyers 3rd. All will go in the 2nd I reckon.

Felix Sandstrom has ability, I have seen him play several times as he plays on Lindbloms team and he can really play. He may be the best Swedish goalie prospect in a few years. Pegged as either a 2nd or 3rd rounder. He could be there in the 3rd.

As for other goalies I have heard a bit about in the upcoming draft but not really seen anything of:

Callum Booth
Michael Lackey
Joren Van Pottelberghe
Luke Opilka
Ryan Bednard
Markus Olsson
Ilya Samsonov
Adam Huska

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
id want our first two picks on forwards.

Our forward depth is among the worst. I mean the only guy that may be nhl caliber is Taylor Leier. That is it. You ice 12 forwards we need to keep plenty in stock.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
every draft imo should be 4 2 1

4 forwards
2 dmen
1 goalie

THis is all ideally of course you never want to draft position over best player available.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Vladar, Blakewood, Tretiak and Tomek will be gone before the Flyers 3rd. All will go in the 2nd I reckon.

Felix Sandstrom has ability, I have seen him play several times as he plays on Lindbloms team and he can really play. He may be the best Swedish goalie prospect in a few years. Pegged as either a 2nd or 3rd rounder. He could be there in the 3rd.

As for other goalies I have heard a bit about in the upcoming draft but not really seen anything of:

Callum Booth
Michael Lackey
Joren Van Pottelberghe
Luke Opilka
Ryan Bednard
Markus Olsson
Ilya Samsonov
Adam Huska

any relation to Sergei?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
any relation to Sergei?

I doubt it, from about 1000 miles away from each other. One from Moscow, one from Magnitogorsk. He was also probably bigger than Sergei by the time he was 13!

Sergei was one of my favourite non-Flyers when I was young and he was on the Bruins. Such an electric player to watch until injuries decimated his skills.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
NAK

Cousins and Lindblom have NHL potential, as well.

Fazleev I think has a shot as well.

Extremely sound defensively, good skater but not that fast, good hands, great in possession and plays with grit.

And he is producing at a pretty good clip this year, 29 points in 33 games.

Him and Lindblom were both fallers as well... Lindblom was pegged as a 2nd round talent (which he has shown in the SHL this year, scoring at a better pace than Kempe) and Fazleev pegged as a 3rd rounder early in their draft years.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
AK and Lindblom are long shots to become top-6 wingers, more realistic 3rd liners. The rest are bottom6 fill-ins unless something dramatically changes the picture.

Not too shabby but still a below average forward pool.

The forward pool doesn't have very many top 6 or even top 9 forward prospects but the Flyers have the luxury of really good centers on the big team now. You can have guys like Lindblom and NAK play and produce as top 6 wingers with a really good center. Raffl is a bottom 6 winger who compliments Giroux and Voracek nicely. Can NAK compliment Laughton or Couturier?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Also there is no real need to worry about the forward pipeline today for down the road because forwards tend to be more NHL ready at a younger age. It is not out of the question for a later 1st round forward to be ready 1 season after his draft year. Laughton could of probably made the Flyers last year. Hertl made the Sharks and had an impact a year after his draft.

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

We've got Mason and Stolarz for now, goalies come cheap enough on the market so I don't see the need to draft too many. We need forwards in the system, we've got nothing left now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Top notch goalies can also be had in the later rounds where as forward and to some extent defense talent dries up early.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If the best player available is a defenseman I'm fine if that's what they end up drafting in the 1st. Defenseman who can contribute while they are still cost controlled are highly valuable, both on your team and as potential trading chips.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Fazleev is promising, what about Kubel? Dude was slick in the training and exhibition games.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Fazleev is promising, what about Kubel? Dude was slick in the training and exhibition games.

For me, he will need to consistently produce offense to crack an NHL job. Call me crazy but I don't see him making it on his two-way game. If I were Philly I would treat his development very much in the same way I did Giroux. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they shift him to centre as well. He's kind of a bigger Tyler Johnson in my book.

jbones6287

Sep 7, 2014

if that's the case, and ill take your word on it for now, then holding off til Rd 5-6 is fine. but at least 1 a year, to me, is a safe idea.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice a trend throughout the league when it comes to drafting goaltenders? Previously it seemed like clubs were drafting goaltenders that put up the best numbers and in most cases the goaltenders fizzled out. Now it seems like they are drafting goaltenders based on work ethic, mental toughness, technical mechanics and athleticism. I'd be interested in reading on how goaltenders drafted from 2010 and on are panning out.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice a trend throughout the league when it comes to drafting goaltenders? Previously it seemed like clubs were drafting goaltenders that put up the best numbers and in most cases the goaltenders fizzled out. Now it seems like they are drafting goaltenders based on work ethic, mental toughness, technical mechanics and athleticism. I'd be interested in reading on how goaltenders drafted from 2010 and on are panning out.

Yeah, I think it was Bill Meltzer who wrote something up along these lines over the offseason. He was talking about how goalies are so hard to project, and take so long to develop, most teams really prioritize things like size & athleticism over anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->