Confirmed with Link: Legwand to Wings for Eaves, Jarnkrok and a cond. 3rd (2nd if we make the playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Can people stop comparing the Vanek deal to this one? The Islanders had no leverage and had to deal him by the deadline, and assuming Holland re-signs Legwand, it was assumed Holland was not looking for a rental player by any stretch (which is exactly what Vanek was going to be).

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Can people stop comparing the Vanek deal to this one? The Islanders had no leverage and had to deal him by the deadline, and assuming Holland re-signs Legwand, it was assumed Holland was not looking for a rental player by any stretch (which is exactly what Vanek was going to be).

Right on. Only a slim chance Vanek stays with whoever traded for. Legwand is having a good season and there seems to be a pretty high chance he's interested in staying here for a bit.

Not to mention, RIGHT NOW we don't need Vanek. He'd be an incredible fit for the long-term but without Z or D he doesn't bring much to this team. We needed a center badly. Legwand is one of the only guys who fit the description. Can play on the first line, good defensively, fits anywhere in the line-up which gives us crazy depth if we're ever healthy. Didn't cost us a ton (flame shield up, I loved Calle but get a grip people) like Kesler would. The Vanek and Legwand returns really can't be compared. Totally different.

D/Z, Legwand, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Andersson, Emmerton, Glendening is deep as hell, and a few of those guys can slide to the wing. A few are expendable. There's not really a thing as too much NHL center depth. Our injuries this year showed just how important that depth is. Calle is good, and I understand him wanting a chance soon. He wasn't gonna get that here for a while. He might prove us wrong in Nashville, that's a good fit for him. Honestly though he can be replaced pretty easily. We needed a top 6 center now, not a might be in the future.

If we lose Legwand as well and this was just for a rental, I'd be pretty darn angry though. I believe he will stay here.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
Holland thinks if the team can last past the first round, we'll get zetterberg back and make a deep playoff push.

he's betting a prospect for gate revenue!

the wings get less sustainable but also get less undersized and less european

after downplaying how physical the east conf is, seems like a suicidal gesture

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
People had the same attitude last year.

Changed quite a bit when we beat Anaheim and were up 3-1 on Chicago.

Last year we were banged up, but there was still a reasonable chance of "getting" healthy.

Even if any of them manage to come back, I don't think it is a reasonable expectation that Datsuyk, Zetterberg, or Weiss would be able to withstand any type of sustained playoff run.

For that matter I am not so sure on the chances Helm and Franzen to make it through either.

It is frustrating, but it is what it is and no there is no use spending good money after bad. Circle the wagons... we still had Franzen, Sheahan, Abdelkader, Andersson, (Glendenning) that can play center, before going to GR, and it is a good chance to sort out what you have and don't have.

Legwand is not going to put us over the top into making a nice playoff run.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
So, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Iron Hook to Nashville part. We can consider this basically Calle and a second round for Legwand. That's bad. Still, If Iron Hook bolts it's fair, at best. The one kicker I have about Iron Hook is that if he did reach his potential and become a 2C he would realistically be 26 or so by the time it happens. With Weiss and Hank signed he'd have been playing either the wing or third line center.

If Iron Hook was younger he'd fit in perfectly to our age structure. He was kind of the oddball out especially not being NHL ready (I've watched him play in GR plenty he's just too inconsistent) this year. (not to mention he was the most tradeable prospect we have---teams crave centers more than anything; plus, Sheahan is going to be on the NHL team for a long, long time)

Just trying to make the deal seem fairer than it is. Nashville definitely got the edge on this one, but it's not as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. I feel on these forums we treat our prospects in a highly overrated light. They're good, yes, the best prospect pool maybe the Wings have had. Still, only the best of the best will be great top 6 players and that's all that matters. It's like we're the Internet Wrestling Community and we treat every prospect like they're a jobber who deserves the main event.

Ideally this year we draft a center in the 15-20 range, hell I'd be happy with anything under 15 too haha. Still, I'm okay with this trade. Don't love it, but Calle is a wildcard. He tweeted he's excited to go to Nashville. I hope he succeeds, he's helped me out with a journalism assignment and we have the same sleep schedule!

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Holland thinks if the team can last past the first round, we'll get zetterberg back and make a deep playoff push.

he's betting a prospect for gate revenue!

the wings get less sustainable but also get less undersized and less european

after downplaying how physical the east conf is, seems like a suicidal gesture

Blame the Tigers nearly 150 million team salary.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Isn't it still a terrible deal even without Jarnkrok? I thought the 3rd would've been great. It getting moved to a 2nd just makes Holland look so ****ing stupid.

I thought he was about to make one of the best deals he's made this decade and then it gets run into the ground.

He really needs to go. I've said so for awhile but have never felt THIS strongly about it. Hopefully Jarnkrok books it to Europe.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Why do people keep saying Jarnkrok's a much better prospect than Collberg though? Collberg looks like an equal prospect with high skill level and is the same size but younger. Drafted higher, albeit in a different draft but Jarnkrok was never a pick bemoaned by passing on the likes of Jason Zucker. The value of the trades are the same, the chances of extending the players is not. I think time will heal the pain, especially if they've lined up a Bozak type signing.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Why do people keep saying Jarnkrok's a much better prospect than Collberg though? Collberg looks like an equal prospect with high skill level and is the same size but younger. Drafted higher, albeit in a different draft but Jarnkrok was never a pick bemoaned by passing on the likes of Jason Zucker. The value of the trades are the same, the chances of extending the players is not. I think time will heal the pain, especially if they've lined up a Bozak type signing.

When Calle was Collbergs age, he was one of the best players in the SEL, A huge reason why they went all the way in the playoffs, and also made the Swedish WC team. While Collberg has 9 points in 40 games this year. Järnkrok is a much better prospect, IMO.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You can't really argue that the Wings are a better team today than they were two days ago. Bottom line.

That line of thinking made the Leafs a laughing stock for a ~decade.

We could've traded every single one of our prospects for ~35yo UFAs. We'd be a way better team on paper.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
When Calle was Collbergs age, he was one of the best players in the SEL, A huge reason why they went all the way in the playoffs, and also made the Swedish WC team. While Collberg has 9 points in 40 games this year. Järnkrok is a much better prospect, IMO.
That's fine, but I think they are pretty close myself. Not trying to say one is better than the other but that they have a lot in common. When it comes to the NHL they face the same questions, and Jarnkrok as a center may have the tougher task to make up for any perceived advanced status.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Kenny's getting defensive about Jarnkrok on the radio. Says they saw Calle as a bottom 6 center. Calling the media out. Had a hard time seeing Jarnkrok getting into the lineup. Mentioned that they like Luke in the 4 spot. And Joker has more years left on his deal.

I really want the Wings to get rid of at least one of Joker or Luke next year.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Kenny's getting defensive about Jarnkrok on the radio. Says they saw Calle as a bottom 6 center. Calling the media out. Had a hard time seeing Jarnkrok getting into the lineup. Mentioned that they like Luke in the 4 spot. And Joker has more years left on his deal.

sighhhhh

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

bottom 6? Granted, I think most of us saw him as a 2/3 line center, but that still sounds a bit harsh. I'm sure some of it is spin, but if they really saw the guy as a third line center, they had a different view of the guy than a lot of us had.

not a fan of them liking Glendening in the fourth spot, guy's better on the wing.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013

I really want the Wings to get rid of at least one of Joker or Luke next year.

My vote is for Joakim. The Red Wings lack pot-stirrers and that's exactly what Glendy is. Every time the guy is on the ice he seems to be pestering somebody. Also he's got speed to burn and is a great PK guy, and a righty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad