Value of: Legit top 6 winger to NJ (offseason)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils need to add a legitimate goal scorer to help out Jack Hughes and have the assets to do so.

two 1sts
one 2nd
two 3rds
and a plethora of forward prospects who are NHL ready (Jesper Boqvist, Janne Kuokkanen, Yegor Sharangovich, Nolan Foote, Graeme Clarke, etc.)

Looking at teams like TB, VAN, STL, VGK, NYI who may run into some problems with the flat cap or expansion draft this offseason

Holtz and Mercer are not available.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't think the Devils are going to head in the trading young guys for help right now direction
I think it's more likely they'll try and find a way to move up in the draft assuming NYI goes deep in the playoffs or trade a pick to a team looking to get out of a contract but they probably aren't going to trade the young guys

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Agree just stay the course for now if the young guys progress then you look to add in a trade....I'd like to see Foote Hughes Holtz line to be honest.,,.I would not trade Foote or our prospects just keep to rebuild not attempt a retool...,

Reactions: zcaptain

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think the Devils are going to head in the trading young guys for help right now direction
I think it's more likely they'll try and find a way to move up in the draft assuming NYI goes deep in the playoffs or trade a pick to a team looking to get out of a contract but they probably aren't going to trade the young guys
I have no interest in packaging NYI's pick to move up in the draft

they will be picking in the top 5-7...that is plenty high enough

they need scoring help for Hughes now. He is dominating some games and getting nothing to show for it because they have no finishers.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Agree just stay the course for now if the young guys progress then you look to add in a trade....I'd like to see Foote Hughes Holtz line to be honest.,,.I would not trade Foote or our prospects just keep to rebuild not attempt a retool...,

I'm sure ZBC meant to include the qualifier that this "legit top-6 forward" should be in the 23-27 age range (i.e., in his prime and therefore able to grow with the team).

Given the unique circumstances (flat cap, looming expansion draft, surplus picks in a dry market, etc.), it'd be silly to not dangle quality, expansion-exempt ELCs + excess picks for immediate upgrade(s).

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

they need scoring help for Hughes now. He is dominating some games and getting nothing to show for it because they have no finishers.

I agree, with what you're saying but trading out picks and prospects hasn't worked before and it probably won't work now, unless someone is willing to drop an established winger who is still young, I can't see them trading the kids at all

We're more likely to end up with a Max Pacioretty than a Patrik Laine... he'd be helpful for a year then we'd desperately want him out

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

I agree, with what you're saying but trading out picks and prospects hasn't worked before and it probably won't work now, unless someone is willing to drop an established winger who is still young, I can't see them trading the kids at all

We're more likely to end up with a Max Pacioretty than a Patrik Laine... he'd be helpful for a year then we'd desperately want him out

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

right but those were not legit top 6 guys. Johnsson, Gusev, etc.

I'm talking about a legitimate winger. I am just under the assumption that there will be some strapped teams this offseason who may look to get assets for guys rather than lose that player for nothing to Seattle or something

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'm sure ZBC meant to include the qualifier that this "legit top-6 forward" should be in the 23-27 age range (i.e., in his prime and therefore able to grow with the team).

Given the unique circumstances (flat cap, looming expansion draft, surplus picks in a dry market, etc.), it'd be silly to not dangle quality, expansion-exempt ELCs + excess picks for immediate upgrade(s).

This I could get behind depending on the player, but Foote would be a non starter for me unless it was a pretty darn good guy coming back

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
right but those were not legit top 6 guys. Johnsson, Gusev, etc.

I'm talking about a legitimate winger. I am just under the assumption that there will be some strapped teams this offseason who may look to get assets for guys rather than lose that player for nothing to Seattle or something
I see what you're saying and I'M IN... if the right guy comes up definitely trade any of those players other than Foote and the Islander pick

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Some on the Caps board are thinking that if Jakub Vrana doesn't play well in the playoffs that the team should consider trading him. He'll be an RFA at the end of this season and probably fits what you're talking about for a top 6 scoring winger.

I'll refrain from spitballing his value.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Some on the Caps board are thinking that if Jakub Vrana doesn't play well in the playoffs that the team should consider trading him. He'll be an RFA at the end of this season and probably fits what you're talking about for a top 6 scoring winger.

I think Vrana would get a good pick up, not a great pick up
I don't think he goes to NJ and flourishes

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Mantha doesn't really fit the narrative. He'd be a great add but Detroit is be under no pressure to move him

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Vrana is certainly the type of player we're envisioning here. I'd imagine our NHL-ready ELCs would be of particular interest to the Caps.

Why not...Mantha?

I like Mantha a lot, but I don't expect Yzerman to sell him cheaply. We're targeting potential cap/ED casualties here (i.e., slight discount); Mantha doesn't exactly fit the bill.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We have a freshly signed Tanner Pearson to offer you! Value contract!

And we'll give him to you for the low, low price of FREE!

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Vrana is certainly the type of player we're envisioning here. I'd imagine our NHL-ready ELCs would be of particular interest to the Caps.

I like Mantha a lot, but I don't expect Yzerman to sell him cheaply. We're targeting potential cap/ED casualties here (i.e., slight discount); Mantha doesn't exactly fit the bill.

Fair.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

I would love to get Vrana. I would definitely offer the MoJo deal. 2nd round pick + 4th round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->