Legendary players/teams that made a bad first impression on you

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
Were there any instances you can remember where your first encounter (be it on TV or in person) with a great player or team ended up not being a particularly flattering moment for them? Where you've heard the hype...have had older fans sing their praises and talk up so and so's greatness...and finally you catch them in action for the first time and they happen to have an all time dumpster fire performance? So bad that you're almost left wondering what on earth were they talking about?

Maybe from then on in you saw plenty of them at their best, but immediately after that first dud you may have left thinking...this guy/team is AWFUL!

For me it was Tony Esposito. My father and uncle at the time would talk about him as if he was the greatest goalie to ever live. They were enormous fans who always gave him the highest praise.

Finally around 1976 or 77 I got a chance to see a Hawks/Leafs game...and he was putrid. Gives up 7 goals and looks terrible. Leafs destroy Chicago and I come away very impressed with Palmateer who stopped about 40 shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad