Legendary hockey coach in sweden compares Forsberg and Backstrom in same age

SChan*

Tommy Sandlin (coached team sweden in the 80s and coached when sweden sensationaly won gold over soviet in 87) plusses the players.

Hockey Sense:

Backstrom: 5/5
Forsberg: 5/5

Technique

Backstrom: 4/5
Forsberg: 4/5

Win ability (or desire to win)

Forsberg: 5/5

Leadership

Forsberg: 4/5

Total:

Backstrom: 19
Forbserg: 18

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,934955,00.html

I think his desire to win is justified. Yesterday Backstrom had 2 assists, but his team blew the game and a reporter pointed out that he got 2 points, and Backstrom answered like "I dont give a **** about my points if we dont win" :eek:

He was really upset.

some stats so far:

2004-05 Brynas IF Gavle SEL GP 19 0 points (as 16 year old)
2005-06 Brynas IF Gavle SEL GP 46 26 points (as 17 year old)
2006-07 Brynas IF Gavle SEL GP 21 26 points (as 18 year old)

Last edited by a moderator:

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Yeah,Sandlin is right,if the injuries respect Backstrom he will be the new Forsberg

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
I think his desire to win is justified. Yesterday Backstrom had 2 assists, but his team blew the game and a reporter pointed out that he got 2 points, and Backstrom answered like "I dont give a **** about my points if we dont win" :eek:

A lot of players are like this ...

Trevor Linden had 4 points in his first NHL game but broke his stick on the way to the lockerrroom because they lost the game.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Backstrom and Bergfors should get over 2 PPG in the WJC this year.

another good one to add to that list is Berglund.... 27 points now in 17 games in the Allsvenskan ...Sweden could have some scoring punch ;)

edit: now that i see their names... if they play on same line a good name for the line would be "The Killer B's" lol

cstu

May 6, 2004
What's the point of doing rankings like this if the categories are so broad and vague?

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
What's the point of doing rankings like this if the categories are so broad and vague?

Agreed, Its all pointless if he doesent amount to a good or better than good NHL'er, but fun to speculate when the potential is there. and his stats show that hes up there with the Naslunds.. etc stats wise at the same age.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
another good one to add to that list is Berglund.... 27 points now in 17 games in the Allsvenskan ...Sweden could have some scoring punch ;)

edit: now that i see their names... if they play on same line a good name for the line would be "The Killer B's" lol

Yeah much like the "B's" in Chicago: Barker, Bolland, Blunden etc... Agreed with you, the Swedish team will be deadly, strong in both ends with goalies like Matthias Modig and (possibly, don't know if he makes the team) Jhonas Enroth, defensemen like Dennis Persson, and a strong forward crop with the guys you mentiones and some other with great offensive touch. Look for us to grab a medal this year!

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Didn't Kent Forsberg (Peter's dad) say that Henrik Sedin was better than Peter at the same age?

Never ever heard that. However it is clear that Bäckström is at least equal at the same age as Forsberg. But Forsberg continued developing his skills extremely much the following years after his junioryears. But it sure looks really really promising for Bäckström as well.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Never ever heard that. However it is clear that Bäckström is at least equal at the same age as Forsberg. But Forsberg continued developing his skills extremely much the following years after his junioryears. But it sure looks really really promising for Bäckström as well.

I think the fact that he is leading the SEL in scoring (28 pts, 22 gp) one year after being drafted is a pretty good inidication that he's still developing. He's already eclipsed his point total from 2005-2006.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site

I know it was in the HF write-up for Henrik when he was a prospect, but unfortunately that was years ago and HF doesn't seem to keep a record on past prospects beyond a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->