Legal issues of firing Gary Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

nyr7andcounting said:
Who controls the job security of Bob Goodenow, the PA exec headed by Trevor Linden or each of the 750 PA members? If Goodenow was to be fired, wouldn't the process be started and finished by the PA executive committee?

Just wondering.
I suspect it would take a vote of the entire membership. In the Eagleson days he controlled the player executive so IIRC this power was left with the membership at large.

There probably would be a recommendation for or against by the player representatives.

SENSible1*

mr gib said:
gary's and his people were and are willing to blow up this season - bob has told the players to be ready for no hockey for two year's - no one's going anywhere -

And how exactly does Goodenow propose to get back the 2+ BILLION of the players money he'll waste on this doomed strategy?

BitterEnd

Dec 24, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
And how exactly does Goodenow propose to get back the 2+ BILLION of the players money he'll waste on this doomed strategy?

Kool-Aid stand?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Thunderstruck said:
they knew this was coming - the nhlpa's gonna wait it out - they were told to - save up - year's ago - they knew what pain was coming -

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Bettman should be fired for the simple reason that he is the head of a professional sport that has several owners who brag that it is better for them financially to not play the sport. What else do you need to know?

How many time in the last week have we heard from some cement-head owner that (1) I'm doing better financially by not having the NHL play this season and (2) Gary Bettman is doing a great job running the NHL. Do these guys have a clue how utterly ludicrous and imbecilic they sound?

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
RedSoxNation said:
- A question I can't seem to get an answer, what would it take for the BOG to fire Gary Bettman? Is it a simple majority (16) or two-thirds (20).

Now the grounds for firing Gary Bettman (and no it isn't that he couldn't get a deal)
The debacle in New York was and is inexcusable; furthermore the statement Bettman made regarding being duped is grounds to fire with cause. The cause his decision to expose the league, its reputation to ridicule and ruination directly as a result of his decision to hold Saturday’s meeting and his inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were.

Furthermore as a result of his misguided judgment, Gary Bettman managed to tarnish the image of two of the sports icons, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Let me make a great analogy for you. Imagine Michael Eisner as CEO for Disney has an opportunity to save the Company. As a grandstand gesture he believes he needs to bring two of Disney’s greatest icons to the meetings, two symbols of everything that’s good about everything the Disney brand stands for. Eisner brings Mickey and Donald to the meeting, Gary brought Wayne and Mario. Now I’m not saying Wayne is Mickey and Mario is Donald, just that to each brand they represent all that is good with that brand and you know if anyone stepped on Mickey’s big enough feet or Donald’s web toes they’d pay the price. As Gary Bettman must
Given that the NHLPA invited Wayne and Mario to the meeting and obviously engineered the episode, I'm trying to understand what motivated you, a Pens fan, to argue for Bettman's dismissal on the basis of this flimsy reason. Do you feel the league's $42.5 million salary cap proposal is too generous?

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
marcel snapshot said:
Bettman should be fired for the simple reason that he is the head of a professional sport that has several owners who brag that it is better for them financially to not play the sport. What else do you need to know?

I need to know why the owners should fire the man who was in charge of the era that had the highest revenue growth (by far) in NHL history simply because they were stupid enough to give players an absurd 75% of those revenues.

There are plenty of bad things Bettman has done, but your argument makes no sense.

SENSible1*

mr gib said:
they knew this was coming - the nhlpa's gonna wait it out - they were told to - save up - year's ago - they knew what pain was coming -

And if the owners wait them out for 3...4...5 years?

When Millionaires and Billionaires get into a war of attrition, take a wild guess which group runs out of money first.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Thunderstruck said:
And if the owners wait them out for 3...4...5 years?

When Millionaires and Billionaires get into a war of attrition, take a wild guess which group runs out of money first.
as i said earlier - replacement players are coming - the courts will decide the whole mess -

SENSible1*

mr gib said:
as i said earlier - replacement players are coming - the courts will decide the whole mess -

And what if the NHL doesn't go down that road?

What is Goodenows plan then?

Impasse and implementation is risky, but the owners may be willing to pay the "cost" if they end up with a cap and a weakened PA.

A war of attrition has little to no risk for the owners. Sure they'll have to re-grow the business, but they can completely crush the PA.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
RedSoxNation said:
Oh and the most important note, the media has said there are eight owners controlling this along with Bettman. If he can be fired by 16 or 20 votes (and it can't be more then 20), Bettman needs more then eight votes to control this process beyond next Tuesday

If he can be fired by 16 or 20 votes than he's ALWAYS needed more than 8 votes to stay in charge. Which means two things: he clearly DOES have way more than 8 votes, and the whole "Gang of 8" hijacking scenario is fraudulent PA propaganda and always has been.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
Greschner4 said:
If he can be fired by 16 or 20 votes than he's ALWAYS needed more than 8 votes to stay in charge. Which means two things: he clearly DOES have way more than 8 votes, and the whole "Gang of 8" hijacking scenario is fraudulent PA propaganda and always has been.

Thank you for helping to set the record straight. At the very least, lets all stop paying attention to media who continue to mis-report, this story making it that much more confusing

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
RedSoxNation said:
Thank you for helping to set the record straight. At the very least, lets all stop paying attention to media who continue to mis-report, this story making it that much more confusing

No problem. I can't understand why the media can't report the simple fact that the number of votes Bettman needs to stay in power is the number necessary to prevent his firing, not the number he needs to uphold his veto of a CBA.

It seems so simple, yet ....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did we decide yet how many votes Bettman needs in order to be removed.

I think even if some owners disagree with the way he is handling this, they will keep him in charge.

The person who should be scared is Bob Gooednow.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
go kim johnsson said:
Did we decide yet how many votes Bettman needs in order to be removed.
I think even if some owners disagree with the way he is handling this, they will keep him in charge.
The person who should be scared is Bob Gooednow.

First no seems to have answered that question but you raise a very good issue. Whatever happened Saturday if was a defacto palace coup aimed at Goodenow. Now ask yourself this if Goodenow's leadership was put to a vote my bet, he'd get maybe 55% support, but is that enough for him to continue

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:
Tell me why the courts are the players only hope.
-Because the owners are billionaires and the players are millionaires.

-Because there isn’t another league where the players can make anywhere near the money they could make in the NHL and there is not going to be one anytime soon.

-Because even if the players were stay out forever forcing the NHL out of business, all they would ‘win’ is the right to play elsewhere for less money…something they could have done when the NHL was up and running anyway.

Why do you think the NHLPA can win without the NLRB or the courts ruling in their favor?

Hockee

Feb 22, 2005
Albuquerque
RedSoxNation said:
- A question I can't seem to get an answer, what would it take for the BOG to fire Gary Bettman? Is it a simple majority (16) or two-thirds (20).

Now the grounds for firing Gary Bettman (and no it isn't that he couldn't get a deal)
The debacle in New York was and is inexcusable; furthermore the statement Bettman made regarding being duped is grounds to fire with cause. The cause his decision to expose the league, its reputation to ridicule and ruination directly as a result of his decision to hold Saturday’s meeting and his inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were.

Furthermore as a result of his misguided judgment, Gary Bettman managed to tarnish the image of two of the sports icons, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Let me make a great analogy for you. Imagine Michael Eisner as CEO for Disney has an opportunity to save the Company. As a grandstand gesture he believes he needs to bring two of Disney’s greatest icons to the meetings, two symbols of everything that’s good about everything the Disney brand stands for. Eisner brings Mickey and Donald to the meeting, Gary brought Wayne and Mario. Now I’m not saying Wayne is Mickey and Mario is Donald, just that to each brand they represent all that is good with that brand and you know if anyone stepped on Mickey’s big enough feet or Donald’s web toes they’d pay the price. As Gary Bettman must

Why would they fire Bettman? He's done exactly what the owners wanted him to.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Thunderstruck said:
And what if the NHL doesn't go down that road?

What is Goodenows plan then?

Impasse and implementation is risky, but the owners may be willing to pay the "cost" if they end up with a cap and a weakened PA.

A war of attrition has little to no risk for the owners. Sure they'll have to re-grow the business, but they can completely crush the PA.
i guess the league might have to come back to the table and offer up a fair deal - no monkey buisness -

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Hockee said:
Why would they fire Bettman? He's done exactly what the owners wanted him to.
That's why this thread's premise is shaky. Anyone who thinks Bettman gives the BOG marching orders is nuts. These are billionaire businessmen, not GED candidates.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Lol

RedSoxNation said:

Nah, he was just trying to save the NHL season.

What, you dont want him to save the season?

(even the insider player couldnt believe that the players never took the offer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad