Legacy Success rate in the NHL - Family

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We're seeing more and more familiar names in drafts these days like Sutters, Sittlers, Steens...soon Gartner etc etc

All of whom are kids of former NHLers or uncles etc.

Out of curiosity sake.....what is the percentage rate that "blood" converts into success? At least to the level of NHL regular?

I would think it would be pretty good, but have no numbers..anyone can shed some light on this?

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Over the entire sample size, I'm guessing there is very little difference in success rate as compared to players without NHL bloodlines.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Over the entire sample size, I'm guessing there is very little difference in success rate as compared to players without NHL bloodlines.

NHL bloodlines should have a higher success rate. Athleticism is an inheritable trait, which gives the kid an early advantage over all his or her peers. Over time, commitment and work ethic will determine the ultimate success of the player, but natural athleticism will go a long way. Also, keep in mind that this comparison is likely a NHL bloodline versus the general population where a tiny fraction might be able to play in the NHL.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Also look at other factors:

Kids with NHL fathers/uncles/brothers also have access to more resources than your average kid.

They grow up around the NHL environment, they have access to NHL coaching, NHLers, fitness trainers & nutritionists, more known to scouts and the hockey community at an earlier age, etc.

A family that's never had to navigate through the competitive minor hockey ranks, or who don't understand the role of a good agent/adviser will be at a disadvantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->