Legacy Building Strategies?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd like to hear some ideas on good asset management strategies, without straying too far into the NHL15 world. Basically ways to get an edge through trades and drafting in a parity era.

I'll suggest one of my own:

Capitalize on the early fall numbers game:
A tonne of serviceable players become available right before the season starts, similar to our own situation with Condra and Greening. Most aren't very good, but some are just victims of a roster numbers game and are basically available for free. I think it would be possible to capitalize on this by building it into our strategy. You could build a 4th line right now that is equal to or better than our own with just these scraps. i'd like the team to start actively moving out its bottom six projected prospects for other assets, and avoid drafting safer 3rd& 4th line projects unless those players bring something very unique that makes them substantially better than these freebies.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
An off the wall idea... increase the number of later round picks.

Swap your 3rd to a team who sees someone they like for their later 3rd and 4th.
Swap the later 3rd for two 5ths.
Swap the 4th for two 5ths.

Something like that anyhow... one 3rd vs four 5ths might be a way to increase the likelyhood of finding those diamond in the rough guys, something our scouts seems to do decent at.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
it used to be a strategy that i thought would work for the bottom 6 but now since almost every nhl team has 3 scoring lines it only works for your 4th line

Under no circumstance should anyone on your 4th line get more than a 2 year extension, either they play their way up the lineup or they are going to be replaceable by either an FA or a rookie

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
it used to be a strategy that i thought would work for the bottom 6 but now since almost every nhl team has 3 scoring lines it only works for your 4th line

Under no circumstance should anyone on your 4th line get more than a 2 year extension, either they play their way up the lineup or they are going to be replaceable by either an FA or a rookie

Yeah, I'd be a fan of that for sure.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
One thing i have always wondered about Ottawa or similar teams is how far the "treating player's right" approach goes? Perhaps this team would be better off not being as nice/accommodating and rather than do what's best for the player, do what is best for the team.

Then again maybe this has helped us more than i know. I am personally on the fence about it but always viewed it as something that will effect our ability to be competitive down the line.

edit: like the 4th line idea.....desperately needed here please!

Last edited:

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
An off the wall idea... increase the number of later round picks.

Swap your 3rd to a team who sees someone they like for their later 3rd and 4th.
Swap the later 3rd for two 5ths.
Swap the 4th for two 5ths.

Something like that anyhow... one 3rd vs four 5ths might be a way to increase the likelyhood of finding those diamond in the rough guys, something our scouts seems to do decent at.
Also, given the proliferation of 4th liners available in the early season, it would be a bad idea to draft anything but boom or bust prospects.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I not only wholeheartedly support this with every fiber of my being, I would extend this policy to your 3rd defensive pairing as well. Within reason.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
1. Hire GM's nephew as assistant GM
2. Groom him until he is perceived to be ready for the big job and other teams want him.
3. Covertly 'allow' him to leave to take the GM position with another team. Preferably a division rival set to draft high for the next few years. But all the while, nobody knows that he is a mole working to send us resources from the inside.
4. Give him a couple years to draft future stars
5. Sign players like Brian Gionta to appear you are still trying to win, but continuing to ensure low draft position.
6. Slowly start to migrate young talent from the 'satellite' team back to 'mothership team through a series of bad trades.
7. Eventually have Mole GM return to the mothership and celebrate Stanley Cup victory.
8. Repeat process with another team

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
1. Find a great coach that has a working system and can teach that system to young players
2. Fill some (3ish) of the bottom 6 with young, developing, players. Round out the bottom 6 with vets that fulfill the roles required. NO high priced 4th liners.
3. Be prepared to move stars around 30 years of age. Move them for value while it's still high and don't get stuck paying a tremendous price for declining value.
4. Don't invest in guys that don't fit the system. Square peg, round hole, doesn't work.
5. Spend on off ice things like scouting, research/advanced player analysis and coaching. Finding and making stars is much more cost effective than buying or trading for stars.
6. Find assets that are overvalued and assets that are undervalued. Buy and sell them accordingly but don't violate #4.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
1. Hire GM's nephew as assistant GM
2. Groom him until he is perceived to be ready for the big job and other teams want him.
3. Covertly 'allow' him to leave to take the GM position with another team. Preferably a division rival set to draft high for the next few years. But all the while, nobody knows that he is a mole working to send us resources from the inside.
4. Give him a couple years to draft future stars
5. Sign players like Brian Gionta to appear you are still trying to win, but continuing to ensure low draft position.
6. Slowly start to migrate young talent from the 'satellite' team back to 'mothership team through a series of bad trades.
7. Eventually have Mole GM return to the mothership and celebrate Stanley Cup victory.
8. Repeat process with another team
Or, alternatively, the same team. Buffalo sports fans must be used to disappointment now between the Bills and Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad