Goalies: Leg Pads and Gloves Combo Sets

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Where are the cheapest places online to find combo sets of leg pads, a catcher, and a blocker? I've checked goalie monkey and as nice as their gear is, their prices are a bit crazy. Any other ideas? Strongly prefer either Vaughn or Brian's pads.

Appreciate the help.

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
For Vaughn and Brian's you're going to have to spend some money, especially Brian's. Your next best bet would be ebay. Unless you want to look into Simmons Vaughn clone stuff.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Check ebay. A year or two old pro-level Vaughn or Brians stuff is the best bet.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Update: Found a nice looking set of Vaughn's in the size and color scheme I want at http://www.hockeyworld.com/ for just under one grand. At this point, that's my best find. I'm looking through ebay, but it's very tough to find exactly the colors and size that I need (I'm pretty tall, so 36" is the minimum).

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
Where are the cheapest places online to find combo sets of leg pads, a catcher, and a blocker? I've checked goalie monkey and as nice as their gear is, their prices are a bit crazy. Any other ideas? Strongly prefer either Vaughn or Brian's pads.

Appreciate the help.

Truthfully, if you want cheap, going used off of eBay, is the way to go. Vaughn and Brian's, don't really have an entry level pad per se, and most hockey shops, are priced relatively close, so there's no real advantage to one over another. You can usually find a decent set of pro level gear for pretty reasonable prices on eBay if you watch close. Also, watch your LHS and the sites for clearance stuff. Did you check on GM's clearance page at all? You'll get mismatch more often than not going that way, but your odds of picking up a brand new matching set for any less than regular prices, are pretty slim, and by the time you pay that, you may as well go custom.

Update: Found a nice looking set of Vaughn's in the size and color scheme I want at http://www.hockeyworld.com/ for just under one grand. At this point, that's my best find. I'm looking through ebay, but it's very tough to find exactly the colors and size that I need (I'm pretty tall, so 36" is the minimum).

Just saw this...you also might wanna look into a manufacturer like Battram or Simmons. The Simmons UL series, is based loosely off of Vaughn gear, and is hundreds less. Plus, he can customize it to your every need. You're looking at around $1600-1800 for pads and gloves after taxes and delivery. https://www.donsimmons.com/ecom/seriesSets/pads-catcher-blocker/1

The Simmons stuff, is pro quality stuff, and Simmons himself, is an ex-NHL keeper, so they know their stuff. You won't find a better price for custom stuff, and you can really build them to suit you, instead of settling for the options on an off the shelf set that you may or may not like.

Last edited:

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Best bet: Ebay. You can get a $2400 set, lightly used, for $800-$1200.

Adequate bet: Passau, Simmons, or Battram gear, in that order. Set will run you $1400-$1600. Passau is high quality, Simmons is okay, and Battram, well.. you can get what you want on them.

Smart bet: if you're adamant about a new Brian's or Vaughn set, call the retailer and work out a deal. No one who's smart pays retail. Call around, tell them you're looking for their best price on a set, and you want to place your order now. Most of the time if you get a manager on the line they'll give you 10% or more off to get your business.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
What kind of pads and colors are you looking for? I can easily get you set of basic Vaughn pads with matching catch and blocker for under a grand.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Thanks for all the input guys.

What kind of pads and colors are you looking for? I can easily get you set of basic Vaughn pads with matching catch and blocker for under a grand.

1.jpg

Something matching these colors (not their big team, their club team or intramural. I wish I could make their big team). I'm thinking all white, mostly white with a bit of navy, or mostly white with a bit of gold. 36/37 for size. Anything you could turn up would be greatly appreciated. Not 100% sure if I'm buying, just seeing what options are out there since my current gear is getting fairly beaten up.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Yeah, that is where you'll have difficulty as without going high end or custom, you have to choose from stock colors which is usually only a couple options.

Your most logical option in a standard color in the basic Vaughn pad would be all white.

They do make a white gold and navy pad, but that is where you'll be more like a $2k set.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Yeah, that is where you'll have difficulty as without going high end or custom, you have to choose from stock colors which is usually only a couple options.

Your most logical option in a standard color in the basic Vaughn pad would be all white.

They do make a white gold and navy pad, but that is where you'll be more like a $2k set.

I figured all-white would be my best bet. Any ideas where I can get it the cheapest? Price to beat at this point appears to be about $975+shipping, which is a Jimmy Howard style white/blue.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Best bet: Ebay. You can get a $2400 set, lightly used, for $800-$1200.

Adequate bet: Passau, Simmons, or Battram gear, in that order. Set will run you $1400-$1600. Passau is high quality, Simmons is okay, and Battram, well.. you can get what you want on them.

Smart bet: if you're adamant about a new Brian's or Vaughn set, call the retailer and work out a deal. No one who's smart pays retail. Call around, tell them you're looking for their best price on a set, and you want to place your order now. Most of the time if you get a manager on the line they'll give you 10% or more off to get your business.

Simmons is more than "okay". Their gear is top notch at a reasonable price with exceptional customer service.

Passau makes nice stuff, but their prices are very high (comparable to Vaughn, Brians, etc).

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Threads like this just remind me how sad I am Smith as a company is no more.

But on the topic yeah Simmons, Boddam, Battram etc build pretty good stuff for the price. Myself I do not trust the middle of the road gear from the big manufactures to stand up over time and while you save a bit now big picture you may come out behind.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Simmons is more than "okay". Their gear is top notch at a reasonable price with exceptional customer service.
Completely disagree. The quality isn't even close. Have a few friends with Simmons gear, and they like it for the price. But if you can crunch the knee block or the neck protection in half, that's not quality. It's nowhere near Reebok, CCM, Vaughn, and Brian's. Not even close.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Completely disagree. The quality isn't even close. Have a few friends with Simmons gear, and they like it for the price. But if you can crunch the knee block or the neck protection in half, that's not quality. It's nowhere near Reebok, CCM, Vaughn, and Brian's. Not even close.

We will agree to disagree.

Vader76

May 19, 2006
My first Simmons set lasted 7 years, which included ice, ball and roller hockey.

I'm on year two on my second set and the quality is top notch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad