Lefty vs Righty....Arenas?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
This is something I was thinking of during the season, and it's got the perfect flavor for an August thread. How many arenas are lefty, and how many are righty?

To clarify what I mean, the Bruins play in what I'd call a lefty arena. With the bench facing the main TV camera, like it does in 29 out of 30 arenas (hi there, Rexall!), the home team's bench is on the left, and the home team's defending goal is on the left twice.

The Canadiens play in a righty arena. Camera facing the bench, they sit on the right, and defend to the right for the first and third periods. It always feels a little strange to me when we play them, because I'm so used to the home team's bench being on the left.

And, more importantly, does this matter in terms of wingers getting to the bench for a shift change? For the Bruins, the right wings get the "far" change (not to be confused with the "long" change) twice.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I imagine that it is more important for the defencemen than the wingers

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
This is something I was thinking of during the season, and it's got the perfect flavor for an August thread. How many arenas are lefty, and how many are righty?

To clarify what I mean, the Bruins play in what I'd call a lefty arena. With the bench facing the main TV camera, like it does in 29 out of 30 arenas (hi there, Rexall!), the home team's bench is on the left, and the home team's defending goal is on the left twice.

The Canadiens play in a righty arena. Camera facing the bench, they sit on the right, and defend to the right for the first and third periods. It always feels a little strange to me when we play them, because I'm so used to the home team's bench being on the left.

And, more importantly, does this matter in terms of wingers getting to the bench for a shift change? For the Bruins, the right wings get the "far" change (not to be confused with the "long" change) twice.

Nashville fits your definition of the Lefty. And to clarify because I didn't know who's left (TV or Bench), you are meaning the TV camera's left. I had to look at an image of Boston's arena to fully get the idea.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/jan13sports/photo(1).JPG

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Having watched a quick clip from each I think it's like this

Left
ANA, ARI, BOS, BUF, CBJ, EDM, NSH, NJ, OTT, PIT, STL, SJ, TB
Right
CGY, CAR, CHI, COL, DAL, DET, FLA, LA, MIN, MTL, NYR, PHI, TOR, VAN, WSH, WPG

I didn't list Islanders. Nassau was righty but based on pre-season game Barclays is lefty.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007

Yeah, hi, we're half done the new arena where the benches will be on the correct side of the TV camera

emptybowl_web.jpg

can't tell if Rogers place will is a lefty or a righty yet though

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
this is definitely an August thread.

I don't think it really matters to the players.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I like this thread. I don't think I ever thought about this issue (other than Rexall).

When the Sens played in the Civic Centre the players' benches were on opposite sides of the ice. They've since changed it (it's now a righty).

Bleed orange

Mar 28, 2013
I would assume it is mostly dependent on which side of the arena the home teams locker room is located

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh's bench has been on the left forever and EA FINALLY decided that 2015 is the year to freaking make it correct.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Having watched a quick clip from each I think it's like this

Left
ANA, ARI, BOS, BUF, CBJ, EDM, NSH, NJ, OTT, PIT, STL, SJ, TB
Right
CGY, CAR, CHI, COL, DAL, DET, FLA, LA, MIN, MTL, NYR, PHI, TOR, VAN, WSH, WPG

I didn't list Islanders. Nassau was righty but based on pre-season game Barclays is lefty.

You, sir, have won this thread. That takes heart and dedication to look at 29 YouTube clips. (I assume you know your home team, but ignored the issue for most other teams prior to this thread popping up.) I never realized Boston was the only Original Six rink where the players are on camera left...

I would assume it is mostly dependent on which side of the arena the home teams locker room is located

I've always assumed this as well. Overall, I'm not sure it matters in-game, but then again, I've never set foot on the ice. I also thought it could cause the hilarity of a player heading to the wrong box, but all I found was Legwand in Nashville (which had been his team for years before being traded) and Aaron Asham, a Ranger playing in LA.

You never really have to think about issues like this in basketball or football due to symmetry - the OCD part of me would love for hockey to have four quarters, but Olympiaing the sheet three times would be problematic, especially if you want "shoot from the red line" contests. You either do that, or you get cruddy ice at some point. Plus, one thing I love about hockey: It's almost always over in 2 hours, 40 minutes, max, and when it's not, it's DEFINITELY worth the time in watching. Add an extra intermission, and hockey goes down the slippery slope of becoming baseball.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I like this thread. I don't think I ever thought about this issue (other than Rexall).

When the Sens played in the Civic Centre the players' benches were on opposite sides of the ice. They've since changed it (it's now a righty).

I vaguely recall Winnipeg Arena having the same configuration in the early 80s.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana

I guess I've never really paid attention to the fact the Oilers are the only team like this

But I think this really only matter for defenseman

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
What arenas have the road team skating across the ice to get to their locker room? Only one I could think of is San Jose.

I'm about 95% sure that the Belle Center has that configuration, too - and 100% sure that Boston doesn't. I vaguely remember the visiting coaches walking somewhat awkwardly across the ice last year.

I wonder if this makes "locker room fixes" more awkward for visitors, and gives home teams an advantage. If a player's blade gets mangled or something else happens that requires locker room access (ie need for injury eval), the visiting team would only be able to enter/exit the locker room at the whistle, while the home team (in theory) could do it anytime. Or maybe access between the locker room and the bench for all teams in all arenas is only allowed at the whistle in all arenas; I don't know the rule for that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad