Post-Game Talk: left over New York Cheesecake vs Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I want my 3C to possess the puck in their end, that’s the best defense for the 3rd line, by that measure he’s very good defensively. Richards and Morrison were fair defensively but were postseason anchors on possession. I just went through the Ovechkin era and the only time the 3rd line didn’t kill us in the postseason was when it was centered by Arnott who’s another possession guy. The knock on Eller has always been he hangs on to the puck, on PP1 that’s a liability but on the 3rd line it can be an asset.

Those 3c were all so slow

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Maaco has partially convinced me on Eller.

He's not good enough offensively to be more than a low end 2c and not good enough defensively to be an ideal 3c.

I don't think you're gonna get a better player for 3.5M AAV on the free market though, so I'm still happy to have Eller on the team. I just think if Eller is your 2c, you're probably not a good team. 3C on a good team is a good fit.

Oh dear. You’ve been infected.

Are you yelling at clouds now, too? (Yes, inside joke @twabby )

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I want my 3C to possess the puck in their end, that’s the best defense for the 3rd line, by that measure he’s very good defensively. Richards and Morrison were fair defensively but were postseason anchors on possession. I just went through the Ovechkin era and the only time the 3rd line didn’t kill us in the postseason was when it was centered by Arnott who’s another possession guy. The knock on Eller has always been he hangs on to the puck, on PP1 that’s a liability but on the 3rd line it can be an asset.
I'm fine with the possession but I'd like to see him find his teammates more often. Another thing he does that is a big no no is he will have possession behind the net and brings it back towards the blue line and turns it over. Those plays lead to odd man rushes the other way.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I'm fine with the possession but I'd like to see him find his teammates more often. Another thing he does that is a big no no is he will have possession behind the net and brings it back towards the blue line and turns it over. Those plays lead to odd man rushes the other way.
When you say more often, generally speaking you take possession and pass, shoot, or turn the puck over, and if you’re saying in 2 different ways it would be better if he didn’t turn the puck and thus would set up more teammates of course, but to say Connolly and Bura aren’t being set up enough by Eller is absurd. If you replaced him Stephenson they would see markedly fewer opportunities. And I look at it as Eller spends so much time behind the net he’s the guy you can afford to have turn the puck over because it’s the furthest distance the other way and thus least likely to lead to odd man rushes.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
i like Boyd getting better and better with every game. 18-72-25 have all the chances to become the best 4th line in the NHL at the end of the season.
I think Stephenson needs some regular linemates. And I think he should be playing center.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When you say more often, generally speaking you take possession and pass, shoot, or turn the puck over, and if you’re saying in 2 different ways it would be better if he didn’t turn the puck and thus would set up more teammates of course, but to say Connolly and Bura aren’t being set up enough by Eller is absurd. If you replaced him Stephenson they would see markedly fewer opportunities. And I look at it as Eller spends so much time behind the net he’s the guy you can afford to have turn the puck over because it’s the furthest distance the other way and thus least likely to lead to odd man rushes.
He doesnt turn the puck over behind the net. He turns it over on the half wall or the blue line. At times we have the puck down low and he carries it out high.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I loved seeing Willy ice the game with an ENG yes - risking an icing and up by just 1. I used to argue with someone here that the pansy flip to center (that often doesn't even clear the zone) isn't universally the best play. So I am thrilled to see Todd agrees that the reward outweighs the risk.

Bonus being it Willy, of course. No Skill Will Kills Shrills.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I guess you dont watch the games. Stephenson is probably our best faceoff man.
He only takes about one per game this season and last so it's easy to miss.

Boyd isn't that good defensively and I'm still pretty shocked they've put him on the PK. They must like him but it's pretty aggressive. I like his offensive vision/creativity but not sure he'll really be up to it physically come playoff time. That said, he's at least made strides with his skating so that he can assert himself offensively. It's just some of the other areas get exposed defensively.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He only takes about one per game this season and last so it's easy to miss.

Boyd isn't that good defensively and I'm still pretty shocked they've put him on the PK. They must like him but it's pretty aggressive. I like his offensive vision/creativity but not sure he'll really be up to it physically come playoff time. That said, he's at least made strides with his skating so that he can assert himself offensively. It's just some of the other areas get exposed defensively.
I think we are trying to create offense from our pk. Which is why we have seen Kuzy and even Burakovsky on the pk. Another thing I noticed is guys leaving the zone early even while in the pk. I'd rather have our best defensive players on the pk. We havent scored on the pk anyway.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I loved seeing Willy ice the game with an ENG yes - risking an icing and up by just 1. I used to argue with someone here that the pansy flip to center (that often doesn't even clear the zone) isn't universally the best play. So I am thrilled to see Todd agrees that the reward outweighs the risk.

Bonus being it Willy, of course. No Skill Will Kills Shrills.
Its nice that he scored that goal but it is a risky play. What would have you said if he unnecessarily iced the puck and the Rangers tied the game off the faceoff in our zone?
Icing the puck in that situation isnt as important in the regular season obviously. In the playoffs that would be a big no no.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think we are trying to create offense from our pk. Which is why we have seen Kuzy and even Burakovsky on the pk. Another thing I noticed is guys leaving the zone early even while in the pk. I'd rather have our best defensive players on the pk. We havent scored on the pk anyway.
Burakovsky is at eight seconds per game on the PK now. That idea fizzled. They've ramped back that aggressiveness considerably.

I do like the idea of Stephenson at center compared to Boyd, esp. since it's not like 18 is thriving on the wing at the moment.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Burakovsky is at eight seconds per game on the PK now. That idea fizzled. They've ramped back that aggressiveness considerably.

I do like the idea of Stephenson at center compared to Boyd, esp. since it's not like 18 is thriving on the wing at the moment.

How do you see the lines then, with 18 at C? Both now and with a full/healthy forward lineup?

I’m not arguing either way yet. Just curious how you see it. I’m also ALL FOR line experimentation during the RS. Assuming one isn’t fighting for a top 8 slot and all.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Eller was what, 4th in playoff ES points? More than Backstrom, Oshie, etc. Not bad for a 3.5M 3C!

Yeah but he is killling our PP the last 5 games. Single handedly cost us not only standings points, but power play percentage rankings and Ovy the Rocket this year. Not to mention blowing any real shot Ovechkin had at 894 and catching Gretzky.

Plus our shot at back to back Cups is now basically over.

What’s wrong with you? How can you ignore these points???

And......I’m done. Thank you, I will show myself out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad