Post-Game Talk: left over New York Cheesecake vs Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
How do you see the lines then, with 18 at C? Both now and with a full/healthy forward lineup?
The same top nine from the playoffs and then Jaskin - Stephenson - DSP as the fourth-line. But they really seem to want Boyd to pan out and haven't been too eager to put Stephenson in the middle.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The same top nine from the playoffs and then Jaskin - Stephenson - DSP as the fourth-line. But they really seem to want Boyd to pan out and haven't been too eager to put Stephenson in the middle.

At the risk of channeling Adam Oates, I wonder if it has to do with handedness. If they put Stephenson at center and take Boyd / Dowd out of the equation all four of their centers would be left handed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Boyd creates DSP scoring chances that Stephenson doesn't. Stephenson creates speed chances off the wing that Boyd cant.

And yes...having 4 left handed centers is like having an all right handed bullpen

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah but he is killling our PP the last 5 games. Single handedly cost us not only standings points, but power play percentage rankings and Ovy the Rocket this year. Not to mention blowing any real shot Ovechkin had at 894 and catching Gretzky.

Plus our shot at back to back Cups is now basically over.

What’s wrong with you? How can you ignore these points???

And......I’m done. Thank you, I will show myself out

giphy.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah but he is killling our PP the last 5 games. Single handedly cost us not only standings points, but power play percentage rankings and Ovy the Rocket this year. Not to mention blowing any real shot Ovechkin had at 894 and catching Gretzky.

Plus our shot at back to back Cups is now basically over.

What’s wrong with you? How can you ignore these points???

And......I’m done. Thank you, I will show myself out

I had to read this twice before I realized you were doing an impersonation...lol...

Reactions: calicapsfan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Boyd creates DSP scoring chances that Stephenson doesn't. Stephenson creates speed chances off the wing that Boyd cant.

And yes...having 4 left handed centers is like having an all right handed bullpen
Stephenson can create chances generally that Boyd can't. He just isn't. I don't think it matters whether he's playing wing or center in that regard and, again, maybe the positional change leads to him becoming more assertive/involved overall. Again, doubt it happens at this point but I also expect Boyd to fade (perhaps considerably) given his rough underlying numbers. Some of it is usage but the Sh% isn't going to stay at 15% and the rest of the underlying stuff is pretty concerning. He's more or less a one-way player and at center, even on the fourth line, that's ultimately going to be hard to hide.

If Stephenson is flat better at FOs than Boyd/Dowd I don't think handedness at the position overall really matters. It'll sort itself out but in a must-win type situation that'd be my play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The position on the wing allows for greater use of Stephenson's speed in open ice. As for the face offs, the Caps have used Oshie with regularity for right hand draw situations in the offensive zone. I see no reason why they wouldn't use Stephenson the same way. They aren't right now for reasons they know and I don't. Give it time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad