Left hand d-man playing on right side?

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I have asked this question in a few individual threads, but not getting the anwsers. I've played RD and watched a alot of hockey over the years, I was always very uncomfortable playing on the Left side(I certainly was never a great player or anything). I understand that these are professional and have the ability to play both, Gonchar prefers to play the other side(one timers and other offensive reasons) for example.

It seems that most around here seem to think that a d-man is a d-man, personally I don't think so.

I would like other peoples opinion on this please

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I am no expert, but I really think it is simply a case-by-case question. Some players are more comfortable on one side then the other and some can play both well. It really comes down to each individual players strengths, development, and willingness to play outside of their comfort zone.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I believe righties should play on the left side and vice-versa for the simple fact of the one-timer. I don't like righties playing on the right and so forth. I realise the general thought is the defenceman should be able to handle a puck coming around the boards better but I think you should be able to do that easily regardless of the hand side. The one-timer is more important imho.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Double edge sword.

Lefty playing on the right makes it easier for one timers, also is easier for the other team to chip it past them.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Thanks, I am glad the Sens drafted Ceci but I think the Sens need a top 4 RH D-man to take over when Gonchar moves on.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I am no expert, but I really think it is simply a case-by-case question. Some players are more comfortable on one side then the other and some can play both well. It really comes down to each individual players strengths, development, and willingness to play outside of their comfort zone.

Exactly.

Although, if I had to generalize, I'd say lefties are more likely to be able to play on the right side than righties on the left, owing to the deficit of quality right-handed defencemen (necessitating that lefties play on the right side more often than righties on the left).

I believe righties should play on the left side and vice-versa for the simple fact of the one-timer. I don't like righties playing on the right and so forth. I realise the general thought is the defenceman should be able to handle a puck coming around the boards better but I think you should be able to do that easily regardless of the hand side. The one-timer is more important imho.

It's about angles along the boards. A righty on the left side (or lefty on the right) is going to chip pucks off the boards at a significant angle, which means almost every puck is going toward center ice, whereas a lefty on the left can chip it at an angle to get the puck to center or chip it at very slight angles and have it remain along the boards..

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think the question is more or less 'what are your thoughts on D playing the opposite side to their stick preference?'

Well, then I'd go with you. More Canadians = more lefties, more lefties = more LDs, more LDs = more LDs having to play RD when their team isn't balanced by how buys shoot on defense. Its basically just numbers game and RDs are rarely asked to play the left side unless its on the PP and therefore less RDs are capable of doing it.

On a somewhat related note, YIL Alfie and Karlsson are both left handed. That is neat.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I'm a lefty but I prefer to play RD... Better shooting lanes/angles, or at least better access to them... and one timers of course!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have asked this question in a few individual threads, but not getting the anwsers. I've played RD and watched a alot of hockey over the years, I was always very uncomfortable playing on the Left side(I certainly was never a great player or anything). I understand that these are professional and have the ability to play both, Gonchar prefers to play the other side(one timers and other offensive reasons) for example.

It seems that most around here seem to think that a d-man is a d-man, personally I don't think so.

I would like other peoples opinion on this please

I'm with you on this & we have some examples. Phillips has had a tough time playing the right side in the past, Cowen had a tough time playing the right side in his first WJC & Boroweicki had a tough time playing the right side last yr on that Western swing I remember. Whenever I see a guy playing his wrong side teams try & take advantage of that. Benoit has done a good job in the AHL on the right side but I think he is out of his league in the NHL especially playing the right side & would prefer Gryba RD playing that spot.

Thanks, I am glad the Sens drafted Ceci but I think the Sens need a top 4 RH D-man to take over when Gonchar moves on.

IMO Ceci will be Gonchar's replacement on the right side eventually. What we don't know is if it will be next yr or will he play in Bingo for a yr or two. My guess is that Wiercioch will stay with Ottawa this full season & get a contract in Ottawa for next yr. My guess is that Ceci plays in Bingo next yr & Murray trades for a good young right shot NHL defenseman at some point this yr. He could wait until Lundin gets back to see how he is on the right side?

Next yr:
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Phillips
Cowen - Gryba/Boroweicki - Ceci injury callup

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well, then I'd go with you. More Canadians = more lefties, more lefties = more LDs, more LDs = more LDs having to play RD when their team isn't balanced by how buys shoot on defense. Its basically just numbers game and RDs are rarely asked to play the left side unless its on the PP and therefore less RDs are capable of doing it.

On a somewhat related note, YIL Alfie and Karlsson are both left handed. That is neat.

Isn't Karlsson a right shot, he plays the right side?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Yes. Why do you ask?

You said he was left handed, four threads up.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
My wife is left handed but plays golf right handed & still kicks my ass. :laugh:

Generally speaking, more lefties shoot right. Especially in Canada where we teach kids to grip the top of the stick with the dominant hand. I've never agreed with this ideology fwiw.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
If I recall correctly, US players are more likely to shoot with their dominant hand on the bottom. Stems from them playing baseball earlier in life and learning to hold the non dominant hand at the butt end of the bat.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If I recall correctly, US players are more likely to shoot with their dominant hand on the bottom. Stems from them playing baseball earlier in life and learning to hold the non dominant hand at the butt end of the bat.

I can't offer any sources to back this up but I remember reading this somewhere. Its also part of the reason why we're seeing more high end RD entering the league. Tons of great RDs have come out of the USNDTP lately. Connor Murphy, Trouba, Erik Johnson, Bogosian (not USNDTP), John Carlson and my boi Justin Faulk.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
My wife is left handed but plays golf right handed & still kicks my ass. :laugh:

I'm a golf pro and if a I teaching a new player who does not know which way to swing, I'll teach the righties to play left and the lefties to play right. Power arm should be the forward arm they improve much faster.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Yup, I'm left handed and if I play out I shoot left, which my left dominant hand on the bottom, and it stems from little league baseball.

Being a goalie though it kind of sucks as being left handed, I play full right in net, meaning I have to shoot right. Needless to stay playing the puck is something I am pretty bad it.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I'm with you on this & we have some examples. Phillips has had a tough time playing the right side in the past, Cowen had a tough time playing the right side in his first WJC & Boroweicki had a tough time playing the right side last yr on that Western swing I remember. Whenever I see a guy playing his wrong side teams try & take advantage of that. Benoit has done a good job in the AHL on the right side but I think he is out of his league in the NHL especially playing the right side & would prefer Gryba RD playing that spot.

IMO Ceci will be Gonchar's replacement on the right side eventually. What we don't know is if it will be next yr or will he play in Bingo for a yr or two. My guess is that Wiercioch will stay with Ottawa this full season & get a contract in Ottawa for next yr. My guess is that Ceci plays in Bingo next yr & Murray trades for a good young right shot NHL defenseman at some point this yr. He could wait until Lundin gets back to see how he is on the right side?

Next yr:
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Phillips
Cowen - Gryba/Boroweicki - Ceci injury callup

First you said Phillips struggles on the right side and then you have him on the right side for next year and top 4not sure if that is a good idea.

I don't watch enough B-sens game but didn't Wiercioch play on the right side at some point.

Of the players on the Sens can anyone tell me if any of our lefties can play the right side next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad