LeClaire and Emery

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I was wondering what you guys thought about Pascal LeClaire and Ray Emery. Who do you think is better? I haven't been able to see either of these guys play. But Emery seems to have better stats although he was drafted a few rounds lower in the same year.

august

Sep 3, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Ray Emery will be the future #1 goalie for Ottawa, while I don't see much space for Leclaire in Columbus where they already have Marc Denis.

IMO Emery is a better prospect than Leclaire.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Leclaire plays behind a horrible defense and when he wins it's usually of the "40 saves on 42 shots" variety. He's made vast strides from last season, but I think he still needs a full season as a number one goalie in the AHL before backing up Denis.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Leclaire's been good in every game I've listened to. I think Columbus may trade him, because IMO he can be a starter.

Emery is up there with Fleury and Lehtonen as far as goalie prospects outside the NHL IMO.

BingoSensFan

Jan 31, 2004
Leclaire is good, but Emery is great. I'm not a homer. Emery is much better than Leclaire now and for the future. Also, if you could find a more intense goalie (active) than Emery, I will bow down to you.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
BlackJack21 said:
This should be a record?

BJ21

I'm not sure where to begin to check to see if Emery holds any records, because Im pretty sure the goaltending fighting records are pretty few and far between.

However all I can say is that Ray Emery has always been like this. He's the most intense goalie I've ever even seen. You know, how as a fan you get angry at goaltenders sometimes because they "act". Like a forward will brush beside them skating by and they'll act like they've been shot? Well Emery doesn't get shot, he does the shooting.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Brock said:
I'm not sure where to begin to check to see if Emery holds any records, because Im pretty sure the goaltending fighting records are pretty few and far between.

However all I can say is that Ray Emery has always been like this. He's the most intense goalie I've ever even seen. You know, how as a fan you get angry at goaltenders sometimes because they "act". Like a forward will brush beside them skating by and they'll act like they've been shot? Well Emery doesn't get shot, he does the shooting.

I've never seen Emery play but this "intensity" seems slightly worrying to me. Does it ever backfire on him?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Ruckus007 said:
I've never seen Emery play but this "intensity" seems slightly worrying to me. Does it ever backfire on him?

The times I've seen him fight, he's absolutely manhandled the other fightee.

And it's not exactly that Emery goes out and looks for fights like an enforcer. The Binghampton Senators have been In like 3 full out team brawls this season, so that is where most of Emery's fighting majors have come from.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Brock said:
The times I've seen him fight, he's absolutely manhandled the other fightee.

And it's not exactly that Emery goes out and looks for fights like an enforcer. The Binghampton Senators have been In like 3 full out team brawls this season, so that is where most of Emery's fighting majors have come from.

I mean more in terms of giving opponents power plays. I assume his aggressiveness isn't just fighting, he hacks too right?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Ruckus007 said:
I mean more in terms of giving opponents power plays. I assume his aggressiveness isn't just fighting, he hacks too right?

Yeah he'll hack if someone is pissing him off.

But he's a good enough goalie that he can usually not allow these powerplay chances to end up in the back of the net.

But if you want to look at the other end of the scale, he's a very intimidating presence in the net. Like I said, I've never seen a goalie with his intensity level.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Brock said:
Yeah he'll hack if someone is pissing him off.

But he's a good enough goalie that he can usually not allow these powerplay chances to end up in the back of the net.

But if you want to look at the other end of the scale, he's a very intimidating presence in the net. Like I said, I've never seen a goalie with his intensity level.

Thanks, that clears things up a bit for me.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Ray Emery is amazing! I watched him develop in minor hockey all my life. He used to go to the same school as me and grew up just down the road :yo:

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
mogilny8989 said:
Ray Emery is amazing! I watched him develop in minor hockey all my life. He used to go to the same school as me and grew up just down the road :yo:

Cayuga's football team sucks. Caledonia's used to always beat them. :P

BingoSensFan

Jan 31, 2004
Emery has had very few minor penalties in his short pro career (aside from leaving the crease penalties). He hacks for sure, sometimes dangerously, but he's very smart about it and rarely gets caught. He has had a few suspensions, but he really hasn't hurt the team a great deal because of overaggressiveness. I don't see him getting in trouble in the playoffs. He wants to win too badly. That's more important to him.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
mogilny8989 said:
Ahhhhh McKinnon fan are we?

Ya, went to highschool there. Still live in Caledonia.

I tried out with dunville with Ray. It came down to him or me and he won cause i played like ass in my last pre season game. Still rerember sitting in the box with him waitin for our turn to go in net during the practises.

He's a pretty good guy. Saw his S.U.V this summer. License plate is RAZOR. Biggest truck i ever saw. lol

I rerember when i saw that Ottawa signed him. I was shocked to see that he made the NHL.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Yeah It's always nice to see the local boys make it. It was nice to see Nathan Horton go so early in the draft that ol' dunvillian. Yeah I still see Ray from time to time at the gym when I go with my brother...forget if its Family Fitness or Premiere Fitness.....Yeah his truck is massive

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Sk8r Boi said:
Check the numbers, homer.

Olivier Michaud has only played 7 games.

And how is Leclaire "severely overrated"? No one ever talks about him... And he has turned his game around this year.

BTW, this wasnt a thread about who is the best in the AHL... it was between two prospects.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Sk8r Boi said:
Check the numbers, homer.

LOL homer?

How could I be a homer.

I am a Leafs fan, who hates the Senators.

If anything I should have some sort of pre-arranged grudge against Ray Emery for simply being Sens property.

And I have checked the numbers, I write for this site, it's part of the job.

Olivier Michaud has played good in seven games in the AHL, after posting very mediocore numbers in the ECHL and very mediocore numbers in the QMJHL.

Did you know that the guy has never posted a Save Percentage above 90% (until his little recent stint with Hamilton).

Ray Emery is an idiot is he? An idiot who has posted some of the best goaltending numbers the AHL has ever seen in a young netminder.

Pascal Leclaire had a rough first pro season, but this year he's bounced back very well and has re-emerged as a top 5 goaltending prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->