TSN: Lebrun: Re-signing Jake Gardiner still an option

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Just did a rough estimate with Capfriendly. Assuming a cap of 83M (though McKenzie recently did a mock up with an 85M cap, which I found interesting)

- Marner, 6 years, 10.5M AAV
- Johnsson, Kapanen, 2 years, 2.75M AAV
- Gardiner, 8 years, 4M AAV
- Horton LTIR
- Marleau LTIR or somewhere
- Zaitsev traded for a pick

Leaves about 1.8Mish in cap room.

So it's possible if Gardiner doesn't get a raise, and Marleau and Zaitsev are moved.

ml4FJWY.png

I think Marleau moving is farfetched, so I did a scenario with him in the picture.

Marner is bridged, 3 years, 8M AAV
Zaitsev and Brown both dealt for picks
Leaves approx, 800K in cap room

abT75lL.png
or we can put that 4-5 mil towards another Muzzin type (preferably RH this time) who actually knows how to play D and rounds out our overly soft defence core.

Rielly RHD
Dermott Muzzin
with Sandin & Lilly filling those bottom spots the year after.

Locking down non star players long term is the complete opposite of what this team has done since the rebuild started. I see no reason to start now. Just hope he doesn't botch another game 7 this year otherwise its all on Dubas for keeping him around.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Kurtz

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Marleau and Zaitsev both need to disappear for this happen.

Not necessarily. See my above post. If Marner gets bridged, Zaitsev/Brown moved, and Gardiner doesn't take a raise in exchange for term and most of it being signing bonus (so he can use the 15% tax loophole), then it can work with Marleau still around.

With or Without Marleau, it's a pretty complicated path to keep Gardiner, but by the sounds of it, Gardiner really wants to stay, so maybe it'll happen.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Since the day it was signed, I've kinda been under the impression that Marleau's deal is 2 years and a day.
His cap hit would be off the books for the third year.
How? I don't know. But the fact that the 3rd year was really a bad idea coupled with the fact that the contract is very moveable after the bonus pay out, July 1, makes me think there's been a plan in place since pen was put to paper.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
someone will take Zaitsev, he has shown he is better away from gardiner (and vice versa). We may not get much back for him basically the cap space is the return, especially teams know we have a crunch but someone will take him.

Marleau all depends on what marleau wants to do, I do hope he wants one last shot with SJ but that would also depend on SJ.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gardiner is 100% getting a raise... to expect him to take a paycut is completely out of line.

No one said to take a paycut. It's the same cap hit. (His cap hit is like 4.050, I left out the 50K, which doesn't change anything).

Toronto could even go to 4.5M in scenario 1, and 5M in scenario 2.

It all comes down on how badly Gardiner wants to stay here. We also need to keep in mind Gardiner isn't exactly having a great year. On pace for his lowest point total since 15-16, and has looked his worst defensively in a few years as well.

member 157595

Not necessarily. See my above post. If Marner gets bridged, Zaitsev/Brown moved, and Gardiner doesn't take a raise in exchange for term and most of it being signing bonus (so he can use the 15% tax loophole), then it can work with Marleau still around.

With or Without Marleau, it's a pretty complicated path to keep Gardiner, but by the sounds of it, Gardiner really wants to stay, so maybe it'll happen.

The idea of bridging Mitch Marner in order to keep Jake Gardiner of all people makes me sick to my stomach.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No one said to take a paycut. It's the same cap hit. (His cap hit is like 4.050, I left out the 50K, which doesn't change anything).

Toronto could even go to 4.5M in scenario 1, and 5M in scenario 2.

It all comes down on how badly Gardiner wants to stay here. We also need to keep in mind Gardiner isn't exactly having a great year. On pace for his lowest point total since 15-16, and has looked his worst defensively in a few years as well.

Well first, technically it would be a paycut since he's easily worth more than 6M on the open market and earning 4M means he's not getting more... so yes, it's a paycut. At least give him a bump to 5M?

If we think the guy that's getting booed by his own fanbase is going to make any sort of accommodations to the Leafs... we're pretty delusional I think.

Just like last year when we weren't keeping JVR and Bozak despite reports saying we wanted to keep them, this is the same with Gardiner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well first, technically it would be a paycut since he's easily worth more than 6M on the open market and earning 4M means he's not getting more... so yes, it's a paycut. At least give him a bump to 5M?

He's making 4.05M now. If he takes 4.05M again, that's not a paycut. It's below what he could get, but he's not taking a paycut, as it's the same amount he is currently making. Like I said, in Scenario 1, it could be as high as 4.5M and scenario 2, it could be as high as 5M. it all depends on what else happens.

I don't think it happens, but there are paths to where it can happen, and it ultimately depends on what Gardiner is willing to take salary wise.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Essentially have to have one of Gardiner or Zaitsev returning, unless there's a viable outside target replacement in mind. I'd think Gardiner's next contract AAV still comes in higher than Zaitsev's current one, but tough to be definite about that if Gardiner really wants to remain a Maple Leaf and a (near?) max term is involved.

Seems to be a lot of chatter/interest regarding a re-signing that didn't seem to happen as much with our other pending UFAs of the recent past. I could be off on that though.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Everybody wants to stay. Don't blame them.

Nobody wants top be under paid. Don't blame them.

Dubas has some tough decisions ahead.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Again, Dubas have to ask Marleau to leave. I know it damn hard, and he respects the guy, everyone does, but he just have to do this.

In order to make this whole thing work. We cannot allow Marleau, no freaking way.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
For all we know Marleau already knows he's leaving and has known since he signed his deal.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Trade Kapanen + Brown for a wing prospect and picks (like Gauthier from Carolina + 2 2nds+)
Trade Zaitsev for a 3rd

upload_2019-2-7_11-42-8.png

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gardiner is 100% getting a raise... to expect him to take a paycut is completely out of line.

Agreed. As a UFA I'd guess he gets between 6-7 million for maybe 6 years? If he's willing to take less money in exchange for a longer term, I'd be thrilled to do it for up to 5.5 million if we can find the cap space.

Jake's a very good player and if we lose, we'll miss him. And if he does stay and if we ever find the right partner for him, he could become one of the best bargains in the league in a few years if we're paying him only 5.5.

Reactions: saffronleaf

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Gardiner is gone. Why would they tell his agent he's done 100 percent when they need him this playoffs. Of course they've left the window open but I don't believe for one second he returns unless he takes a massive haircut. Bye Jake, whatever Pierre.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Sure it's an option -- provided he'll sign long term for not much more than he makes now. How likely is that? the guy is headed to free agency with probably his last opportunity to go after the big money deal.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I find it hard to believe he's willing to stay for a discount, after being booed by the fans. If he is, his character is remarkable

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Wouldnt it be better to resign Muzzin, forget Jake, he only plays even strength minutes, it shouldnt be hard to replace his minutes played. Dermott should be ready next year.

Reactions: dsred

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'll lose all faith in Dubas if he's brought back, even if it's on a discount.

And we don't even need him on the left side anymore with Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott (and Rielly SHOULD be playing on his strong side based on recent evidence, he looks off defensively on the right).

Reactions: dsred

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ok.

Assume he'd sign 5.5 x 8.
Assume we find the space to make it work.

Would you rather that 5.5 go to Gardiner for 8 or Stralman for 4?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->