LeBrun on Francis, Granato and more

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
gonna be fun to follow once team starts. was a fan of the sonics in nba and seattle has deserved another spots team for ages..

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Isn't it convenient for the ex owner to throw Francis under the bus when he no longer is with the organization. Seems like he is covering himself under media pressure. For all we know Francis as well as Peters were given full responsibility in their areas to run the team absent of the owners involvement. Not all professional sports owners are involved in everything like Jerry Jones. Brind'Amour has been or record that he was satisfied with the way management handled the situation and that speaks well for Francis etc.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe Peters apologized to all parties, including his players, after the Carolina incident.

PC has gotten so militant since it first came into existence. So, now where half a decade ago an apology might have been enough, guys are losing their jobs/resigning.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I believe Peters apologized to all parties, including his players, after the Carolina incident.

PC has gotten so militant since it first came into existence. So, now where half a decade ago an apology might have been enough, guys are losing their jobs/resigning.

Based on what source exactly? The only thing I've seen is Brind'amour stating that the issue "was dealt with correctly" and "never heard of again". He explicitly did not want to say how they dealt with it, if at all.

Regardless, a boss using his power to abuse his underlings has never been acceptable and it is only right that something is finally being done about it. In Calgary anyway.

This is how Michal Jordán remembers the situation:

"I was at that point in my career, like I just got there, so I couldn’t say anything, I didn’t want them to think I was crying. Me and my agent, we kept it secret. Now other guys are speaking out, so I felt like I could."

This was the atmosphere in an organization led by Ron Francis only a few years ago.

hurricanesfan66

Dec 22, 2018
Isn't it convenient for the ex owner to throw Francis under the bus when he no longer is with the organization. Seems like he is covering himself under media pressure. For all we know Francis as well as Peters were given full responsibility in their areas to run the team absent of the owners involvement. Not all professional sports owners are involved in everything like Jerry Jones. Brind'Amour has been or record that he was satisfied with the way management handled the situation and that speaks well for Francis etc.
He's technically still involved with the team. He moved to the minority owner, but has no day-to-day control of the team, thank goodness. He was a very large reason we dangled in mediocrity for years. New guy coming in has been the best thing--new guy to the NHL, fresh ideas and questions all the things, especially those 'as they've always been done.' Maybe this is Seattle's chance to get out from under the good ole' boys network.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Still no comment from Francis, but increased pressure nevertheless. Apparently he covered the abuse by Peters even within the organization:

Ex-Carolina Hurricanes owner says he’d have fired coach had current NHL Seattle GM Ron Francis told him of player-abuse allegations

Not a good look, especially after his recent comments regarding values. He's not the guy to take a new team anywhere.
Ron Francis's recent statement to the press media that he had advised the ownership of Peters' physical abuse contracted former Canes owner Peter Karmanos's assertion that had be been apprised, he would have fired Peters right on the spot. Whom do you believe, Francis or Karmanos? One of them was lying!

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
He's technically still involved with the team. He moved to the minority owner, but has no day-to-day control of the team, thank goodness. He was a very large reason we dangled in mediocrity for years. New guy coming in has been the best thing--new guy to the NHL, fresh ideas and questions all the things, especially those 'as they've always been done.' Maybe this is Seattle's chance to get out from under the good ole' boys network.
Calgary asked for and received a letter of resignation from Bill Peters. The Flames took the high moral road. The NHL will be looking at Seattle's ownership to see if they will ask Ron Francis for the same thing.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Calgary asked for and received a letter of resignation from Bill Peters. The Flames took the high moral road. The NHL will be looking at Seattle's ownership to see if they will ask Ron Francis for the same thing.

What make you think the NHL will force Francis to resign or make Seattle fire him.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW

I dunno if it's so much a PC issue as it is that the context for fans hearing about it now is different. In Carolina, the issue was "Bill, keep your hands off the talent." Now, it's "Bill, stop being a racist, abusive POS." If the Rockford incident wasn't public knowledge or hadn't come up in a background check (as it presumably didn't before he was hired in CGY), Francis was dealing with a much less toxic situation. It's certainly still shitty, but it's not quite as black-and-white "holy shit, that guy's gotta go" as it looks having heard Aliu's story.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
NHL Seattle’s Ron Francis comes under heavy criticism for his handling of Carolina Hurricanes player abuse

"But Karmanos sidestepped answering whether Francis had indeed briefed him, adding instead: “His communication skills might be lacking but he and his team took immediate and effective action to address Coach Peters.”

Sounds like Karmanos did know but didn't want to admit it. Funny Karmanos is on record saying he would fire Peter if he was told. Then why didn't he fire him it sounds like again he knew about it.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
There are many factors at play here. One of them being Carolina's financial position. I would not be surprised if Peters was kept on because of money pressure from above. We don't know what rules Francis was operating under.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are many factors at play here. One of them being Carolina's financial position. I would not be surprised if Peters was kept on because of money pressure from above. We don't know what rules Francis was operating under.
Peters was making $2 million per in Calgary on his 2nd NHL coaching stint. Peters came up through the AHL, not one of these NCAA guys like Hakstol where you would need to pay him a good amount to leave a good gig. I would guess that Peters was earning under $2 million in Carolina per season.

My guess is that the NHL teams don't operate like most established multi million dollar businesses. Probably don't have the same procedures/policies in place to deal with "conduct" matters. Like putting things in writing to be recorded in an employee's file.

Might have been a face to face or telephone discussion between Francis and Karmanos. Up to ownership to either bring people into the organization (either full time people or outside contractors) to set those procedures up and train the staff on how to handle such matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->