News Article: LeBrun: Evan Rodrigues and the Leafs have had “productive talks” on a new contract - Update not QO'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
This doesn't make any sense. The only guy Dubas overpaid was Marner.

When you factor in term they were all overpaid imo. If they were all on 8 year deals no one would still be bitching about the contracts.

At 8 years it guarantees us an 8 year window to be comletitive.

8 years also gives time for the cap hits to get better as the cap rises organically

No one could have predicted covid and its impact on the cap increasing when they signed their deals but i al sure dubas was expecting the cap to increase each year. I doubt they ran a simulation where the cap was static. If that was the case they might have seen how bad they are.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Steve Dangle brought up a great point a couple weeks ago on his podcast: we really, really need to re-evaluate the term "bad hockey player". Schenn and Bogosian are contributing parts of the Lightning, but many would describe them as "bad".

There's a price point and a lineup placement for nearly anyone. The appropriate places and prices just need to be found
I think that is where metrics come into play. They're probably quite bad metrically (is that a word?). But anyone who understands the game knows what they bring to the defensive unit as a whole. Good players to have near the bottom of your dcorps.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I don't really get this thread, who even is this kid? He was simply just an after thought in this trade, why would he be negotiating a contract? League minimum, take it or leave it

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I like a utility forward or two, who can be okay on a few lines at three positions.

Handy guy to have.

If he was rugged and antagonistic, he wouldn’t be available.

Reactions: qqaz and Duckrider

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
At league minimum so if he stinks we can bury him on the Marlies no problem taking a shot.
But if Dubas gives him a mil or more I will be giving him the Jeff Finger contract salute.

Reactions: qqaz

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't really get this thread, who even is this kid? He was simply just an after thought in this trade, why would he be negotiating a contract? League minimum, take it or leave it

We're all just panicking because we know damn well we cannot over spend on on bottom 6 (due to the money tied up in our top 4). Plus, it doesn't seem like he brings much to the table other than the potential of a low salary and if he doesn't bring that then I think most of us feel lets just move along. We should be able to find a player of his caliber for something south of 1 million.

With the flat cap, our budgeting becomes even more of a going concern!!

Reactions: qqaz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
People are worked up over the possibility of signing a depth forward?
But how can he sign [insert player] if he's concerning himself with this!?? What is he going to do; talk to multiple players this offseason? Madness!!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

My issue with this signing is that it's the exact type of player we should be avoiding. It's one thing to include a random player to make a trade worl for cap or contract reasons, but to now be wasting a roster spot on him tells me Dubas hasn't changed his (incorrect) vision of what wins in the league. Contracts should be going to heavy players who can win battles, not another water bug.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
My issue with this signing is that it's the exact type of player we should be avoiding. It's one thing to include a random player to make a trade worl for cap or contract reasons, but to now be wasting a roster spot on him tells me Dubas hasn't changed his (incorrect) vision of what wins in the league. Contracts should be going to heavy players who can win battles, not another water bug.
Unless he's looking to sign him purely as a depth guy primarily playing in the minors. One can only hope that's what he's trying to do and ERod is being difficult cause he has a 2 mil qualifying offer

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unless he's looking to sign him purely as a depth guy primarily playing in the minors. One can only hope that's what he's trying to do and ERod is being difficult cause he has a 2 mil qualifying offer

I actually prefer Petan and Malgin over Rodrigues. Petan is arguably a higher pedigree tweener who didn't work out in the NHL but has outproduced Rodrrigues in the AHL and Malgin's significantly younger. Neither probably requires anything more than league minimum.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Even that is a waste IMO. You need 4-6 guys in the Marlies that will be brought in to fill gaps. If you're trying to change the identity of the team, you don't then sign different style players for the Marlies.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's a bad sign given we have very little to go off this early in the off season. If in the end Dubas completely reshapes the bottom six and we don't see a bunch of water bugs, then I'll be more positive about things. Right now, this is just another notch in the bad idea column.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Even that is a waste IMO. You need 4-6 guys in the Marlies that will be brought in to fill gaps. If you're trying to change the identity of the team, you don't then sign different style players for the Marlies.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's a bad sign given we have very little to go off this early in the off season. If in the end Dubas completely reshapes the bottom six and we don't see a bunch of water bugs, then I'll be more positive about things. Right now, this is just another notch in the bad idea column.

It isn't like he can sign anyone right now anyway.

Once hunting season opens we can have a better reason to complain.

Reactions: qqaz and Menzinger

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

I don't make anything of it one way or the other at this point. If he signs him at under a million, it's a nothing deal. If he signs him at over a million or even close to 2, Dubas needs to go

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He got screwed for mi utes in Buffalo and got stagnated. This guy is a good player. Thats all I’m going to say. 3 years or 2 years @ $1,150,000 is my guess. Thats good money for a guy trying to get his career going again and coming off a arbitration contract. That arbitration award was wrong for a third line depth forward fillin and good 4th line player. He’s a good fourth line player

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is a local kid who played alternating 1/2 centre on Marlies with Strome. Everyone in TO from G knows him. He has a ton of skill. Loads of it. Issue is same as rest of Leaf team. But could be a much cheaper option than Kerfoot. Big difference Kerfoot much faster. Evan has more hands/hockey IQ.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
2 years at the max you caa burry in the minors.
He showed he can be a good defensive bottom 6 guy. Very very good 4th liner, or serviceable 3rd liner if you have a few injuries. (I.e you have two 3rd liners injured, he would be the second guy to be moved up)
Give him good AHL money to make him sign. Even include a few 100k signing bonus so he has moving money.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
2 years at the max you cna burry in the minors.
He showed he can be a good defensive bottom 6 guy. Very very good 4th liner, or serviceable 3rd liner if you have a few injuries. (I.e you have two 3rd liners injured, he would be the second guy to be moved up)
Give him good AHL money to make him sign. Even include a few 100k signing bonus so he has moving money.
He doesn't need to move as he never moved away. Maybe he can pay off his condo.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It isn't like he can sign anyone right now anyway.

Once hunting season opens we can have a better reason to complain.

Exactly.

The team us trying to negotiate a potential deal with an asset already part of the organization. Every team with unsigned players is doing the same

Trying to spin it as some sort of major signal for the direction of the offseason - when free agency hasn't even began - seems quite silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad