News Article: LeBrun: Evan Rodrigues and the Leafs have had “productive talks” on a new contract - Update not QO'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
https://theleafsnation.com/2020/09/28/evan-rodrigues-and-the-leafs-have-had-productive-talks-on-a-new-contract/

Bit of a surprise. I figured he'd just be too expensive, and almost forgot about him.

From LeBrun:
"safe to say the Leafs would want it to be lower than his $2M qualifying offer. If they don't QO him by the Oct. 7 deadline then he becomes UFA."

What terms would you be happy with? What role do you think he'd play if he's extended?

3rd or 4th line ala Engvall. I'd only be interest around 1m. Nothing higher than 1.25, please.

Reactions: qqaz

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He's a talented player and I think you could get good value on a 3 year term if you average at 1.85 if you feel he's a 3rd line player.

But with the many conversations we've had this off-season, they are just bringing in more of the same style of players if they sign him and don't replace a guy like Johnsson and Kerfoot. The old shuffling the deck chairs analogy.

If you believe he's your 4th line centre, then that's fine, but then the 1.85 I suggested needs to be closer to 1 - 1.25 at most.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
https://theleafsnation.com/2020/09/28/evan-rodrigues-and-the-leafs-have-had-productive-talks-on-a-new-contract/

Bit of a surprise. I figured he'd just be too expensive, and almost forgot about him.

From LeBrun:
"safe to say the Leafs would want it to be lower than his $2M qualifying offer. If they don't QO him by the Oct. 7 deadline then he becomes UFA."

What terms would you be happy with? What role do you think he'd play if he's extended?
I'd say that they would probably love to have him... IF he signs for the league minimum. I believe that it's $750,000 this year.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
He's a talented player and I think you could get good value on a 3 year term if you average at 1.85 if you feel he's a 3rd line player.

But with the many conversations we've had this off-season, they are just bringing in more of the same style of players if they sign him and don't replace a guy like Johnsson and Kerfoot. The old shuffling the deck chairs analogy.

If you believe he's your 4th line centre, then that's fine, but then the 1.85 I suggested needs to be closer to 1 - 1.25 at most.
Wow... people here are just as generous as Dubas when it comes to salary negotiations. Rodrigues has never done anything (yet) that would justify a million dollars or more per season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I imagined there was some level of interest once they traded for him. I like the centre/winger versatility. Probably not a bad idea to retain him under the right contract (ideally, something quite closer to 1M than 2M).

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If you can get him for an AAV you can assure him salary wise but still bury fully cap wise I don’t see it hurting. I think he can be a bottom 6 tweener. Won’t be what defines a line but will not be a liability.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
This is one player I know nothing about. Can someone describe him? On a sidenote, he looks much geekier than I imagined. LOL

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sure an amount that can be completely buried.

Making near a million a year to play a game ... you'll have lots of players wanting to stay in the league who will sign for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This is one player I know nothing about. Can someone describe him? On a sidenote, he looks much geekier than I imagined. LOL

SCOUTING REPORT
Is adept at putting points on the board at lower levels and can play all three forward positions, which adds to his overall value at the National Hockey League level. Lacks ideal size and strength for the NHL, so he must prove capable of playing consistent, two-way hockey at the highest level. Must also find his big-league niche.
[TBODY]
Versatile depth forward with a little upside.[/TBODY]

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
$800k max. There will be better players available come UFA, especially with the rumours of a lot of RFA's not being qualified.
Definetily sire. That's the max and that's what we're going with.

After that they'll start pushing for the simmonds paper. That'll be 800-1milj also. Leafs are doing that great right now on these.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good skater, 100% hustle, and a decent playmaker.

Negatives are average size and not physical.
Yes exactly what we already have ... more of same ... that said rather have him than many of others because he has been taught hockey da right way ... the TO way baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad