LeBron James to buy WNBA team?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Loeffler said she wouldn't sell and the league said they wouldn't force her to sell her stake in the ownership group. So for now this is much ado about nothing but I'm sure the topic will come back when the Dream players "boycott" once the WNBA season gets started back up, or when "the internet" yells loudly for her to sell.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Personally, I don't like Loeffler as an individual, given that she is the embodiment of inherited wealth (not to mention she was given the senatorial seat), and her attempts at the past few elections saw her move further to the right wing of American politics in an effort to stay elected (she lost the first time and lost her seat the second), indicating general dishonesty of her character that she seems more motivated to curry favor with certain platforms than actually represent something and stand by it.

But, I don't see LeBron really making a serious effort to buy the Dream, nor will the WNBA make an effort for Kelly to sell. There's no value for any party to move on from the status quo. The WNBA is not a popular league, even among its own players (they choose to play domestic since they get to stay in America; the real money is in Europe and Asia). It has failed to dispel negative stereotypes to more conservative families that worried about being exposed to the "dreaded" LGBT community, and with social media these days encouraging folks to be more sexist about how women athletes should just know their role and not bother being more than child-rearing housewives, it hasn't done a good job fighting back against those baseless arguments. On a financial side, the league hasn't bothered attempting to expand in almost a decade, and some teams have even moved into smaller arenas (Washington, Dallas, and Las Vegas) for economical reasons. The league did enjoy getting a new TV deal two years ago with the CBS Sports Network, but all it does it the exact opposite of the NHL on NBC package where if you stumble upon it, you end up seeing the teams the league doesn't want to showcase, so the package might as well be "The Indiana Fever Deal".

It's a league that exists. In a time period where little else is going on, you'd think they could carve a spot in the sports world, but they haven't, and likely will never. Without the NBA backing it, it would suffer the same fate as other, more niche sports and nearly every other women's athletic venture.

Reactions: DoyleG

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Loeffler also got a COVID briefing in January of 2020 and after hearing it, immediately dumped all her stocks in things that required "Crowds" and "people" to be successful and invested in companies that make products like "Ventilators" and "Medical PPE."

LeBron was just attention-whoring for likes. If he really wanted to serve women's basketball, he'd buy an expansion team and grow the game; not just inject himself into the conversation about what those Dream women did for Reverend Warnock/Georgia/Good of humanity.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Loeffler also got a COVID briefing in January of 2020 and after hearing it, immediately dumped all her stocks in things that required "Crowds" and "people" to be successful and invested in companies that make products like "Ventilators" and "Medical PPE."

LeBron was just attention-whoring for likes. If he really wanted to serve women's basketball, he'd buy an expansion team and grow the game; not just inject himself into the conversation about what those Dream women did for Reverend Warnock/Georgia/Good of humanity.

Or, hell, create his own league if he legit cares; not like the NBA would fight back against their biggest star. The American Basketball League provided some decent competition for the brief time it existed and I dare you to say otherwise that the Columbus Quest should have at least been considered as an expansion/transplant for a trial (hell, a bunch of ex-Quest staff and players ended up on the Minnesota Lynx). The low attendance was due to them playing at a crappy venue.

It'd at least prop up what otherwise would be a snoozer of a sport besides the political talk, which I am aware not everyone is fond of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad