Lease Up In 6 Months, 13K Miles on Car

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
2017 VW Jetta. It would probably be like $10K remaining, and it's practically brand new. Manual transmission. Should I buy it or look for something new? I love the car, I just sort of want a Golf now.
I believe in no car payments. I drive cars until the wheels fall off before buying a new one. When doing so, you can have the car for many years after it's paid off, make payments to yourself instead towards a new car. When you have the cash for said new car, pay cash for that new car.

I haven't had a car payment since the late 90's with a used '94 Ford Prode GT I purchased in '97. Drove it from 48k miles to 121k miles. Paid cash for a new Hyundai Tiburon in '04. Drove that from 32 miles to 151k miles. Paid cash for my 2012 Shelby Gt500, have driven that from 11miles to nearly 40k miles so far, but still had the Tiburon at the time I bought that have since donated that car when in 2016 I bought a very lightly used Audi S4. Have driven that from 15k miles to 61k miles so far. (All of the above - Manual transmission)

That said, if you love your current car... keep it... pay it off, drive the wheels off before getting a new one. ;)

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
2017 VW Jetta. It would probably be like $10K remaining, and it's practically brand new. Manual transmission. Should I buy it or look for something new? I love the car, I just sort of want a Golf now.
I really dont know the value of those cars, but could you buy it and sell it for more than $10k?

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
If you want to change cars look into it.

imo you're going to get lucky to break even trading it in. I don't see a dealer offering over $10,000 for it. Your offer will probably be less. Those kinds of sedans just aren't in demand.

Private sale might get you more.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I believe in no car payments. I drive cars until the wheels fall off before buying a new one. When doing so, you can have the car for many years after it's paid off, make payments to yourself instead towards a new car. When you have the cash for said new car, pay cash for that new car.

I haven't had a car payment since the late 90's with a used '94 Ford Prode GT I purchased in '97. Drove it from 48k miles to 121k miles. Paid cash for a new Hyundai Tiburon in '04. Drove that from 32 miles to 151k miles. Paid cash for my 2012 Shelby Gt500, have driven that from 11miles to nearly 40k miles so far, but still had the Tiburon at the time I bought that have since donated that car when in 2016 I bought a very lightly used Audi S4. Have driven that from 15k miles to 61k miles so far. (All of the above - Manual transmission)

That said, if you love your current car... keep it... pay it off, drive the wheels off before getting a new one. ;)
Nothing wrong with having payments if you can afford it, especially if the numbers are worthwhile. It’s like free money, put it to use some other way.

Life’s short. If you want a new car or a fun car and can afford the payments, go for it. Everyone’s different. I’ll be picking up a lightly used Porsche in the next bit here, and with the finance numbers they’ve given me, I’m taking the payments!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

So do you drive much ? Dats alot of miles. Most days I drive 4 miles to the train station then 4 miles home. Unless I stop for a pizza of course on the way home

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If you aren't underwater on the buyout price they offer, keep it of course. Then again, dealerships know the ins and outs of leases and how to massage certain figures to get their desired outcome far more than the average buyer does. Also consider they may charge you quite a bit to give the car back to them if you don't make another purchase through them.

I'm not big on leases. Whatever the case, just don't lease the next one. I would vote to inform the dealership NOW that you are considering another purchase when this lease is up. Tell them the value of the car is going to be higher than what the original lease agreement calculated it to be (due to the mileage) and that you're also in the market for a Golf. Let them bring you a couple options on a Golf and go from there.

EDIT: It's all about moving units to them anyway. If they can get back what amounts to be close to a NEW Jetta and turn and sell you a Golf, they moved a unit and gain back one for their troubles. They should be able to offer you a very very good deal on the next car.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So do you drive much ? Dats alot of miles. Most days I drive 4 miles to the train station then 4 miles home. Unless I stop for a pizza of course on the way home
I drive 21 miles to and from work. I live in the burbs, no train station to get me to work and back.

Also, I do just go out and drive just to drive sometimes. I love driving. Nothing like a summer's evening cruise in the convertible!

They say cars are to get someone from point A to point B... for me, sometimes point A is also point B, and the path to getting there is unclear until after I'm there. ;)

It's how you can end up with pictures like this...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad