Learning to skate

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
How easy would it be to get a pair of skates and teach myself to skate? I'm at no age to be taking a class. 26 to be exact and I've always wanted to learn to skate. Shoulda probably done it when I was younger but never did. So how easy would it be. My main issue would feel stupid in fron tof a bunch of people if I tried to go out at a free skate or something. Not really anywhere you can go for an outside rink like a bog or pond. I really like hockey and all and figure it would be cool to someday be able to shoot the puck around on skates.

goillini1996

Nov 17, 2010
Illinois
Road Dog,

26 is definitely not too young to take a class. I didn't start unitl I was 36 so you stilll got 10 yrs on me!!

When I started to look into it I found there were really two types of adults classes in my area. Learn to Skate, which seemed to be very basic for adults and you go at your own pace, and Learn to Play Hockey. These classes require full equipment and most request that you know the basics of skating. They then start you with learning the basic skills you will need to play hockey, mainly stopping and edges (turning, pivots, etc). If you have really never skated, I would recommend taking one session of learn to skate before moving on to hockey. You'll have more fun with hockey if you can skate confidently.

I learned a lot just from going to open skate and taking my time and getting comfortable on the skates. I have been skating frequently - at least once a week - for 4 months now and I am just really getting confident on the skates. I highly recommend hitting open skate - don't worry, no one will laugh at you. And if they do, who cares??

I have to say, starting to learn to play hockey was one of the best decisions I ever made. It is a fantastic workout, and a great sport that you can play a long time. The people in my class are great and we have a lot of fun. Makes me wish I had done it when I was 26!!

Go for it. You'll never regret it.

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
Road Dog,

26 is definitely not too young to take a class. I didn't start unitl I was 36 so you stilll got 10 yrs on me!!

When I started to look into it I found there were really two types of adults classes in my area. Learn to Skate, which seemed to be very basic for adults and you go at your own pace, and Learn to Play Hockey. These classes require full equipment and most request that you know the basics of skating. They then start you with learning the basic skills you will need to play hockey, mainly stopping and edges (turning, pivots, etc). If you have really never skated, I would recommend taking one session of learn to skate before moving on to hockey. You'll have more fun with hockey if you can skate confidently.

I learned a lot just from going to open skate and taking my time and getting comfortable on the skates. I have been skating frequently - at least once a week - for 4 months now and I am just really getting confident on the skates. I highly recommend hitting open skate - don't worry, no one will laugh at you. And if they do, who cares??

I have to say, starting to learn to play hockey was one of the best decisions I ever made. It is a fantastic workout, and a great sport that you can play a long time. The people in my class are great and we have a lot of fun. Makes me wish I had done it when I was 26!!

Go for it. You'll never regret it.

Some very nice comments. Probably won't be til next year if at all. Need to find some skates and no $ for that right now. Probably shoulda invested my $200 gift card I won fo ra hockey shop into skates not sticks like I got lol. But I was just looking to turn them around for cash. Maybe I'll win something again and can not have to pay for hockey stuff lol. Even then I could buy used ones and then no having to break them in.

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
You can find older model skates for cheap. I just got high end Reeboks, brand new, for $150.

Go to public skates often. You'd be surprised how much you could learn on your own. Once your muscles are trained, pick up some tips for stopping and skating backwards on youtube and try to put them into practice.

The best thing I learned was to acknowledge your skates are U shaped and have an inner and outer edge. Most people thing the blade is just a single blade and don't get the physics of it.

Seanconn*

26 is definitely not to young. I teach skating every year here in Regina. and only 2 people signed up for the adult class which was during the last half hour of our 2 hour's of ice time each week.(one dropped out right away).

The Dude who stayed got private lessons for 18 weeks. By the end I had him zipping around the rink, being able to transition/ pivot, and able to do forward/backwards crosscuts, and doing proper hockey stops. I'm always open to allowing people bring their hockey stick if they want to get better at that side of things to, but I make sure the main focus is on the skating part. But having the open indoor ice to yourself and being able to play hockey is a lot of fun, even if it's not even a 3vs 3 game. Some programs might consider playing hockey too much of a liability and outright not allow it, but no one's going to get hurt out there if you're not being stupid, and wearing a helmet.

if you're 100% a beginner maybe attempt a few open skates by yourself... It's all about balance, bending your knees, and keeping your body parts symmetrical... as in each foot should be doing the same thing. and keep your arms steady at your sides, almost like a scarecrow just not that high up, and not that straight. just at your sides.

just worry about lifting your feet off the ice, and "marching" / taking baby steps going forward. Don't force it... just bend your knees... stay steady, and move forward.

You're not going to learn everything on your own, and there's no point reinforcing non proper technique.

so hit us up with some questions, and look at some instructional videos on youtube. and definitely try to enroll in some type of learn to skate program that is willing to teach adults, if you have an end goal of playing hockey or just being able to skate well enough.

also NO stick until your comfortable on the skates. that's a big no no. My dad still claims he was a average at best skater because his parents stuck a stick in his hand at an early age, luckily both my mom and grandma taught figure skating, and I was on the ice before I even turned one.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwitz04

Jan 18, 2011
26 definitely not too old..and aside from learning how to ice skate..I'm telling you get a pair of inline hockey blades. You can pretty much practice wherever/whenever you want when you're not on the ice, it feels very similar, its free, and there's no timeslots.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Have you rollerbladed before? I'm 26 and leaned to play this year. I never really skated, but I rollerbladed a lot and skating came to me very quickly. I'd just go for it as soon as possible. It will be one of the best things you ever do...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->