Learning to Play Hockey in York Region/Toronto

Frogpuppet

Apr 10, 2015
Hi I never had the opportunity to play hockey growing up and would like to get started this fall. I am able to skate forward and backwards and able to stop in one direction. I was looking into Canlan Ice Sports Hockey Fundamentals class as well as Adult Hockey Classes in at NTR in Richmond Hill or Newmarket. I was wondering if I should take these classes, join a league or take power skating lessons? There's lot of options and I am unsure what to do.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Canlan Scarborough has some great instructors, I highly recommend their Adult Learn to play classes...

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
The thing I am sure that everyone tells you is to SKATE, SKATE, SKATE! However, I will modify that slightly with the recommendation to get a book like Laura Stamm's Powerskating and try and do the very basic balance and edge drills for beginners (it's at the beginning of the book). Do them slowly and don't do it for the whole session (have some fun and get some exercise too!) because what most people don't tell you is that if you want to skate fast/well your core/balance has to be quite good otherwise it will be really hard to develop any sort of technique.

Adult classes can be good but that really depends on if it is suited to your level and expectations. You really need to try them out and like you are doing get reccommendations. As long as you are moving a lot (instead of standing around) then it can't hurt you because any ice time is good ice time.

Lastly, learn about hockey. Read/watch videos on basic breakouts, tactics, defensive play. Watching the NHL is really fun but they do things so fast it is hard for most people to understand exactly what happened until they replay it in slow motion.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Don't forget about shinny! $5-$10 can get you 2 hrs of ice time where nobody cares if you're good or not

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Adult classes can be good but that really depends on if it is suited to your level and expectations. You really need to try them out and like you are doing get reccommendations. As long as you are moving a lot (instead of standing around) then it can't hurt you because any ice time is good ice time.
Which is why I strongly reccommend the classes at Canlan (specifically Dynamic Dr. Location) the instructors are great at adjusting drills depending on the average skill level of the class & giving certain skaters drills that work with their abilities...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Hi I never had the opportunity to play hockey growing up and would like to get started this fall. I am able to skate forward and backwards and able to stop in one direction. I was looking into Canlan Ice Sports Hockey Fundamentals class as well as Adult Hockey Classes in at NTR in Richmond Hill or Newmarket. I was wondering if I should take these classes, join a league or take power skating lessons? There's lot of options and I am unsure what to do.
Shinny hockey at magna in aurora tuesdays and Thursday's around 5pm. Check aurora website

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->