Learning to Play Hockey in York Region/Toronto

Frogpuppet

Apr 10, 2015
Hi I've always wanted to start playing hockey but never had the opportunity until recently. I am able to skate forwards and backwards and can stop in one direction. What's the best way to go from here? Join a low level league? Take a beginner skills class? Power Skating? There's a lot of options and was wondering what you would recommend.

I was looking into the Adult Hockey Fundmentals at Canlan Ice Sports and Adult Hockey Classes at NTR in Newmarket and Richmond Hill

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I took power skating at canlan and it helped me greatly, the insteuctors were great and the class was very small and focused.

I know some people that took basic skating lessons there and raved about it.

The most important thing though Is when you take lessons don't rely on the classes alone, the classes help but the most improvements comes when you go skating on your own after the classes to further improve what you were taught that week.

I was on a tight schedule but i made sure to do two extra solo skates a week.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Not that you can't post here, we'd love to help, but "the rink" subfourm might be more helpful :)

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I took Canlan classes as well. Very helpful! (a little pricey though)

Do, at least, one year of Canlan classes before you start a league. Whatever you do, do not join Canlan's ASHL league "E" though. It's rough, and geared more toward adults who have played hockey all of their lives. Try one of the 'City of Toronto' leagues. There's usually a developmental league somewhere nearby (that's the league you need to start in).

I also found City run adult skating classes helpful. They're cheap and your learn a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad