Learn to Skate

Brian540

Mar 29, 2022
Hello all! The earliest locally we can get my son into “Learn to Skate” classes is 3 years old. He absolutely loves hockey, and we, his parents, are relatively new to the sport. He’s currently 2, and unable to officially start for 1 more year.

My question is; do you all think 2 is too early to start teaching him how to skate? Unfortunately we live in Virginia and hockey / ice isn’t very common so my knowledge & capability isn’t very high (frustrating as a dad).

He loves our local SPHL team and we want him to be included as early as possible.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Definitely not too early. You hear a ton of players saying they started skating at 2 or 3. Granted a lot of those are kids skating on lakes and ponds in Canada.

I'm not sure if Roanoke does post-game skates like we did in Pensacola but that could be a good way to get started. If the Berglund Center does any public skates, that would be good too. We usually partnered with the Jr. Ice Flyers for at least one Learn to Skate/Learn to Play Hockey days a season. If the Dawgs do the same thing, that could be worth a shot but I think the minimum age was above 2. Not sure where you are in regards to Lynchburg but you could see if there are any programs at the LaHaye Ice Center.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Hello all! The earliest locally we can get my son into “Learn to Skate” classes is 3 years old. He absolutely loves hockey, and we, his parents, are relatively new to the sport. He’s currently 2, and unable to officially start for 1 more year.

My question is; do you all think 2 is too early to start teaching him how to skate? Unfortunately we live in Virginia and hockey / ice isn’t very common so my knowledge & capability isn’t very high (frustrating as a dad).

He loves our local SPHL team and we want him to be included as early as possible.

No such thing as "too early to learn how to skate." The sooner the better. Being in Virginia makes it difficult, but even if there is a local rink that has free skate sessions then that is likely a good place to start before learn to skate. It is not like every body of water down there is frozen over the winter.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

If you want more opinions & advice, I suggest you dupe your post in "The Rink" forum. Good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad