Beginners: Leaning inwards on 1 foot

Alexeche

Jan 26, 2016
Hello guys! I'm Alex from Denmark, I like going around the ice just for fun and a play a bit hockey with my friends. I just recently bought my first pair of skates, Bauer Vapor x200. I do see my self as a complete beginner, and I'm used to just rent a couple of cheap plastic skates for the friend games at night.

The rental ones are those with 3 clamps in pure plastic, they are really uncomfortable. So i decided to drive around 80km to a real hockey shop.

The clerk showed me some pretty okay skates to a nice beginner price, Bauer vapor x30 i think. He only had size 9 left though, and they simply felt too big.

In shoes I'm usually a size 9, but those skates just felt too big. The clerk recommended an online shop which had the x200 in size 8. I went a bought them. Couple days ago i received them. I have been on the ice a couple times for some hours. It seems that my right foot keeps falling in on the ankle, and it hurts, cramp feeling. Very annoying.

I'm right "footed". So it seems kinda weird its my "strong" ankle/foot that's falling in. I do like the narrow heel fit in the vapor though. Do you guys have any suggestions to what is causing the inward bend?

I can link some pics of the sole and fit of the skate if that helps? For me it just seems weird its only 1 foot, but i dunno I'm just a "noob". I hope you guys can help me.

Kind Regards Alex

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
The only thing I can say about this situation is typically if you are right footed in soccer then your left is the "plant foot" for the big shots. In my experience I have been much more stable standing on my left foot then my right. With exercises I am more balanced (no pun intended). Regarding your skates I am not in a position to say.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
The skates are still probably too big for you, to be honest.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I believe skate sizes are different from shoe sizes, so I would expect a size 9 skate to be too big if you wear a size 9 shoe. A size 8 should be about right. (Although shoe sizes also are different depending on which standard is being used).

The skates need to be laced up tight. To the point of not quite cutting off circulation.

However, most people have one foot slightly smaller than the other foot, so check to see if the right skate is loose even when the skates are laced tight.

Also, consider trying on a Bauer Supreme. They fit and feel different from the Vapor.

After that, it involves building ankle strength and muscle memory. Do you drive a manual transmission car? If so, your left leg will be stronger in the ankle area, and have greater motor control (motor meaning muscle).

Some exercises you can do are calf extensions (some gyms have these machines, can also use a leg press machine and just to calf extensions) and flexions (sit on a bench with your legs extended angling downwards in front of you so your heels are just off the ground, drape a 5kg dumbbell over your the toes using both feet, and flex your toes towards your shins). Also my personal favorite, balancing on one leg on a bosu ball, making sure that the trunk of your body does the balancing, not (waving) your arms.

On the ice, consider practicing doing a T-push (pushing with left skate) and gliding on right skate in a low athletic stance.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
It is very rare that a size 8 skate would fit someone properly that wears a true size 9 via the Brannock method. Skates aren't built that way.

He is probably closer to a 7.5 or a 7.0, depending on the make and model. Boots just don't bend inwards and the #1 or #2 problem for an 'ankle bender' is an improperly fitted skate.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
It is very rare that a size 8 skate would fit someone properly that wears a true size 9 via the Brannock method. Skates aren't built that way.

He is probably closer to a 7.5 or a 7.0, depending on the make and model. Boots just don't bend inwards and the #1 or #2 problem for an 'ankle bender' is an improperly fitted skate.

I agree with everything here. My shoe size is 9 or 10 depending on the shoe brand and model. And I wore size 7 in Bauer skates.

Also, some people make the mistake of wearing more than 1 pair of socks in their skates. If you do, no matter how much you tighten the skate, it will be unstable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad