League Update - 2020 Draft Lottery, 2020 Entry Draft, Cap Structure & FA

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. I thought I would provide an update on a variety of league topics.

2020 HFNHL Draft Lottery
Matthew Kershaw and I will be tackling this likely this coming weekend with a live stream and results. We will be using a website to do the simulation, which will be filmed, and then the results will be released in a similar live fashion as to the NHL with logo cards of the order.

2020 HFNHL Entry Draft
We will be going ahead with our entry draft on our typical date a week before the scheduled (or now canceled) NHL Draft. That means our draft will be on Saturday, June 20th at 9:30am EST. It will be hosted on slack as usual. Draft order and more details will be released following the lottery.

2020 HFNHL Cap Structure
The cap will remain the same for next season with an upper limit of 81.5 Million and a floor of 60.2 Million. This will be set REGARDLESS of what the NHL decides, to give us consistency while they figure things out. If need be, we can get creative the following season. But status quo for now.

2020 HFNHL Free Agency
Given the madness that the pandemic has caused and the lack of organization from the NHL, we'll be pushing our signing deadline back a bit from when it usually is. The resigning deadline will be July 1st. This will include all prospect activations. Then we can move forward with a UFA period by mid July, once Jeff has time to get all the new contracts and activations into the SIM. More details will be given soon, but keep these dates in mind.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The only issue I see with UFA is auto sign as NHL will delay extending contracts until the season is complete.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The only issue I see with UFA is auto sign as NHL will delay extending contracts until the season is complete.
I don’t see that as an issue - a player on an expiring contract in the NHL, even if it’s extended by a few weeks or months, can’t be used as the justification for an auto sign, only players under contract for 2020-21.

As far as I can see, a player that is an HFNHL UFA and (pending) NHL UFA must be negotiated by the rights-holding team, or released to the free market.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Thanks for the hard work and making some decisions so we can move forward.

I get what Hasnain is saying about resignings, I however believe that our free agent crops are always very weak for a couple of reasons, so hopefully this will help gives us a stronger FA this season.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Interesting given the NHL is holding its draft lottery a week after our draft i figured wed hold out
My reaction at first, but give the NHL draft lottery is now only covering the first three teams with the rest of the spots up in the air, it makes sense for us to move forward with the traditional format given we don't have to accommodate the lottery for a wonky play-in structure.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Please Note: As part of the lottery draft procedures this weekend there is now a trade freeze in effect until Monday. This is to ensure that none of the draft picks involved in the lottery are moved while we do the draft and the 'show'! Long live my balls!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad