League suspended who can make it back healthy?

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I think its way more likely that there wont be any hockey for us to watch anymore this season. :/

Or maybe they can jump directly to playoffs in April, based on the current standings. That would create a shitstorm of course but still I think its entirely possible

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My guess is the league will follow the nba model and see what happens after 30 days. Allowing practices and stuff before hand for a mini “training camp” as well.

If the league can reopen, they should reduce the regular season to 74 games, allowing teams in the hunt to still have a chance, and allowing teams already in to get their feet back under them. At most it’s 6 games, at the least it’s 4 games. This makes it fair. As for the schedule, remove all out of conference games from the schedule, but schedule the in conference opponents for the final few games. For example, we need to play Pittsburgh, Boston, Carolina, NYR, Toronto, Tampa, NJ, NYI, WSH still on our schedule. So we would draw randomly from this list for our 4 games to get to 76.

After that, playoffs move as scheduled. Push back the draft until August, and free agency moved to August 1st (would need NHLPA approval).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanabijou

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My guess is the league will follow the nba model and see what happens after 30 days. Allowing practices and stuff before hand for a mini “training camp” as well.

If the league can reopen, they should reduce the regular season to 74 games, allowing teams in the hunt to still have a chance, and allowing teams already in to get their feet back under them. At most it’s 6 games, at the least it’s 4 games. This makes it fair. As for the schedule, remove all out of conference games from the schedule, but schedule the in conference opponents for the final few games. For example, we need to play Pittsburgh, Boston, Carolina, NYR, Toronto, Tampa, NJ, NYI, WSH still on our schedule. So we would draw randomly from this list for our 4 games to get to 76.

After that, playoffs move as scheduled. Push back the draft until August, and free agency moved to August 1st (would need NHLPA approval).

I think your solution while well (over?)thought is a bit too complicated. My guess is that the season is toast and will be formally ended after the 30 days are through. Logistics of getting arenas, getting players back in game shape, allowing enough time between seasons, not playing hockey in July, are all reasons that I think its over.

The complicated issue is what to do about the draft. My guess (hope) is proceed as "normal" with standings based on point percentage the determinant. Jackets then win lottery and select Lafreniere.

With all that being said $$$ will rule and if at all possible there will be more hockey this season.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Will we be healthy tho? No one answered my question lol
I dont think you play Seth or Olly, id rather them use their off season to get ready for the next year as opposed to possibly more rehab. Ankle injuries are too easy to re injure, considering both had surgery let them heal up completely and be ready to go for next season. Cam at least didnt have surgery, but he's the example how easy it is just to re aggravate and ankle injury

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Lots of scenarios out there flying around. They seem to boil down to:

-Resume regular season by mid-April -> this is really best case scenario as it's highly dependent on the country getting its collective shit together.
-Start playoffs by point % by (insert date here) -> this is similar to the first scenario listed, but probably put in place if NHLPA and the league can't agree on an extension of regular season and possibly 7/1 contract deadline. I have also read that they might possibly hold WC play-in games/series with the teams around the cut off if it gets to that point.
-Cancel the entire season -> this likely happens if cases continue to spread and we are on a parabolic path not a logarithmic one.

I would think most of the decisions hinge on USA/Canada containing the spread to the point where we are comfortable again with large crowd settings. Don't know that you can mandate a league-wide quarantine to the point where they feel safe hosting games with no spectators. A worker at the SAP Center (Sharks) tested positive.

As for players back it depends on a) if the season starts again and b) when that might be. If the Jackets do get to play any more games, it won't be until mid-April. So I'd expect Jones and Atkinson back, and maybe Bjorkstrand. Gerbe as well if they have a spot for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->