League rankings decade after decade

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by alko, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    I'm generally really ****ty feeling on the US program in general. But I will say that I don't even think the sport has to become a national passion. It's all about how players are trained once they leave this country to do better things. We also have a very warped mindset about players staying at home to grow our league, which comes at the cost of having a worse NT. Our best team in 2002, which should have been in the SF I should add, was full of players who left the country. The correlation is too strong to ignore, but we continue to ignore it because people have decided that we need to grow the league and the NT at the same time. We just can't do that in any meaningful way, the progress of growing the NT doing it that way is too slow.

2. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

lol

The first part where American takeover in the sport is only separated by interest. It isn't.

3. Elliman

Elliman Registered User

My world. Let me know when you wanna come visit. It’s wonderful, full of hope & positivity.

4. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

1955-1964 Spain
    1964-1973 England
    1973-1983 Germany
    1983-1985 Italy
    1985-1988 Spain
    1988-1999 Italy
    1999-2007 Spain
    2007-2011 England
    2011-2017 Spain
    2017-2019 England

5. Bon Esprit

Bon Esprit Registered User

correct, the early 70s were Dutch. And they had by far the best NT, too. Didn't won in 74 because of arrogance.

6. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

The other Dutch teams got completely butchered in Europe quite a few times those years though. As good as the best sides were it wasn't the best league.

gary69 likes this.
  7. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

So China should dominate world sports?
    Just wondering.

Cassano likes this.
  8. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    The big difference is financial. Both in terms of per capita spending on sporting training and what percentage of the population have the disposable income to have a child seriously pursue high level athletics.

9. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Really?
    Yet China can dominate in certain sports like few countries do.
    And why Brazil can produce that many great footballers?
    Why is Czech Republic much better than France in hockey?

It's not a question or money, spending or infrastructure. It's a matter of culture.
    Kenya dominate long runs.
    China dominate table tennis or gymnastics.
    Japan and France dominate judo (why the heck would France dominate judo if not for a cultural thing?).
    Russia dominates chess.

US dominate plenty of sports because sports is a huge cultural thing for them. But not men football. Maybe one day? But frankly, we've been hearing the US will soon dominate football since the 70s.

10. Havre

Havre Registered User

There is no doubt in my mind that China will become one of the best footballing countries in the world. The coverage on TV has already been brilliant for 10+ years. The interest is building and it is clearly a political target for China to do well in football.

In the Summer Olympics China have already established themselves as the clear no. 2 behind the US. Expecting that after 2022 they will be among the better countries in the Winter Olympics as well.

11. gary69

gary69 Registered User

CEO, real estate
    I'm not sure China can become dominant NT during the next 3 decades at least.

Whatever money they would pay to get the 50 (or even 100) best footballers to come play in their league would't kill off the European club teams finacially. The European broadcasting networks and their customers would still prefer to watch the local product in their local time zone.

And if China brings in that much foreign talent to their teams for the most crucial roles, then their players won't develop properly for a complete NT. For shortish term (30 - 50 years) I think the best way for China to develop is improve on what they're doing now.

Not to aim to be an absolutely top tier league, but rather a good one for their younger players to develop enough, so the best of them can move to play in the best European leagues. So essentially a better version of what the Japanese and Koreans have been doing for a few decades.