TSN: League looking at signing bonuses CBA

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
To achieve real parity no team should have any kind of advantage over the others. Unfortunately when some owners refuse to spend what they’re allowed to they’re holding their team back and hurting any real chance at parity but that’s another issue. At least the league is doing what they can to make it an even playing field.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
while there's no link here

there's obvious problems with signing bonuses

one is the bonus is spread across multiple years, and taking large percentages of the contract.

another is the situations where money is owed at different times of the year.

So you have high cap low salary players because of the structure. (like patrick marleau cap and salary being a $5 million gap in his last season)

There can be a couple simple solutions to it... one is having a percentage limit on the signing bonus, limiting the signing bonus to the first year (which is what is should be), another is having teams pay the entirety of the signing bonus of that year back to the team of the player they are acquiring, or at least the percentage of the season that's remaining.

Reactions: go4hockey and DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Good. There is no reason players should be able to get signing bonuses each year of a contract. Salary is salary.

Tavares contract is 90% signing bonus and 10% salary. Absurd.

Absurd maybe, but not illegal. I mean some places have tax advantages, so they can pay less, and some have more money, and therefore will use that as an advantage.

But I get what you mean

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
To achieve real parity no team should have any kind of advantage over the others. Unfortunately when some owners refuse to spend what they’re allowed to they’re holding their team back and hurting any real chance at parity but that’s another issue. At least the league is doing what they can to make it an even playing field.
Cool so now we must start taking state taxes into effect too right? You want to achine real parity correct? So I guess teams like FLA should have a lower cap ceiling?

People are getting silly...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Good. There is no reason players should be able to get signing bonuses each year of a contract. Salary is salary.

Tavares contract is 90% signing bonus and 10% salary. Absurd.

Call it what you want, but when the league goes on a work-stoppage as much as this one does, you gotta be smart and take in as much of your money as possible.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I don't think you'll see it eliminated completely but I do think you're going to see some sort of change to signing bonuses for the next CBA.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
while there's no link here

there's obvious problems with signing bonuses

one is the bonus is spread across multiple years, and taking large percentages of the contract.

another is the situations where money is owed at different times of the year.

So you have high cap low salary players because of the structure. (like patrick marleau cap and salary being a $5 million gap in his last season)

There can be a couple simple solutions to it... one is having a percentage limit on the signing bonus, limiting the signing bonus to the first year (which is what is should be), another is having teams pay the entirety of the signing bonus of that year back to the team of the player they are acquiring, or at least the percentage of the season that's remaining.

I added the link, sorry.

Yeah, I do feel the signing bonuses can be a bit much, spread over too many years.

member 157595

The league doesn't want parity at all, they want cost certainty. Jeremy Jacobs is probably devastated that the Winnipeg Jets are a Cup contender. :laugh:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I don't think you'll see it eliminated completely but I do think you're going to see some sort of change to signing bonuses for the next CBA.

This is what I think.

The CBA needs a few changes for sure, but I cannot see it being eliminated completely.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is was it is. Some markets can offer major signing bonus some can't. It's the same as some cities can offer the tax breaks and some can't.

The same?

The NHL has some form of control over the CBA, it does not have any control income tax rates at the federal/state/provincial level.

Unsurprising to see the amount of Leafs fans bemoan the potential loss of their massive advantage that directly lead to the short term demise of the Islanders. A league should not want other teams to become farm teams for the rich ones.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is what I think.

The CBA needs a few changes for sure, but I cannot see it being eliminated completely.

Of course they won't be eliminated, the rules certainly need to be tightened to prevent more Tavares situations however.

That Tavares contract will be front and center as to why we get another lockout.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The same?

The NHL has some form of control over the CBA, it does not have any control income tax rates at the federal/state/provincial level.

Unsurprising to see the amount of Leafs fans bemoan the potential loss of their massive advantage that directly lead to the short term demise of the Islanders. A league should not want other teams to become farm teams for the rich ones.

You are 100% not wrong at all

But in saying that, the cap should take into account an after tax situation. If we are to have parity, we can't have certain teams being able to pay players less, and have much deeper rosters because of that.

People pay a lot of money, and networks invest a lot of money to see teams like MTL, TML,BOS,DET,NYR,CHI all have good teams, and it's also great for the NHL.

However, I agree that we need parity and not farm clubs for others.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
If teams have the resources and financial tools at their disposal, why do the small market teams or teams with stingy ownership have to force their disadvantages onto the others? I am fine the league wanting parity, but there has to be a point when the big teams should be allowed to use the advantages they have. Players are still going to want to go where they can win.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Good. Signing bonuses should only occur, you know, when you actually sign. If you get a "signing bonus" every year through the life of the contract, it's not really a signing bonus any more.

Reactions: _Del_ and Gotaf7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->