LeafsHero: Kulemin vs Clarkson

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
http://leafshero.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/player-comparison-kulemin-vs-clarkson/

We’ll be making the comparison from a few perspectives…

Defensive ability
Penalty Killing
Skating
Scoring
Consistency
Use on Power Play
Physicality and Size
Agitating Ability
Maturity [Knowing when to take "bad/good" penalties]
We feel with these 9 categories we cover of all Kulemin and Clarkson’s biggest strengths and biggest weaknesses.

Sorry for grammar/spelling our editor is away for the weekend.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Interesting article. So many variables to consider. I really like kulemins game, but I can't see him sticking around to play on the third line.

And ya haha a few grammar errors, but no big deal. A quick proof read could solve those.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Unless you watched all of Clarkson's games the past 2 years while he played for the Devils I'm not sure how anyone could make an accurate comparison between the two players.

Some of the categories are clearly made up to favour one player or the other (Penalty Killing, Use on PP, Agitating Ability, Maturity).

It's extremely difficult to take stuff like this seriously.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Unless you watched all of Clarkson's games the past 2 years while he played for the Devils I'm not sure how anyone could make an accurate comparison between the two players.

Some of the categories are clearly made up to favour one player or the other (Penalty Killing, Use on PP, Agitating Ability, Maturity).

It's extremely difficult to take stuff like this seriously.

Listed out all of Kulies and Clarksons biggest strengths and weaknesses and made those the variables, they ended up covering all the basis you could really compare these two on.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Do you have any other variables you want him to include? I can't think of any... Maybe vision? But I think defensive and stats cover that

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
kule was actually a faster skater than kessel in the team skills competition and the fastest on the team, i think before gardiner was brought up.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't know if I'm more or less biased as a Sens fan, but I'd take Kulemin. He's a better overall hockey player in my opinion.

Clarkson does add an important element though, especially for a team without a lot of grit, like say Edmonton.

BayStreetBullies*

I don't know if I'm more or less biased as a Sens fan, but I'd take Kulemin. He's a better overall hockey player in my opinion.

Clarkson does add an important element though, especially for a team without a lot of grit, like say Edmonton.

I thought Edmonton had plenty of grit. Why else would TSN rank Hall ahead of Kessel? :sarcasm:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not sure why they are comparing these two. Clarkson is a fighter and a player who's goalscoring has blossomed the last couple of years being paid a premium salary. Kule is a non combatant who scoring has dried up but will cost half as much.

They fill completely different roles. If I want a <15 goal 3rd liner who can help on the pk and I am on a budget, then clearly Kulemin. If I want a 25 goal 2nd-3rd liner who I can use on the pp and who will fight then it has to be Clarkson. The Leafs top 6 was close to the softest in the league the last couple of years so from a needs standpoint it is pretty clear. You can argue about the overpayment but not the fact the DK represents something they had no other answer for. I like Kulemin and I hope they retain him. I don't think that Clarkson's presence will affect that unless NK decides he is a $3 million player (and there is actually another club that agrees).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad