Post-Game Talk: Leafs with a perfect game

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think he's shown some improvement this year compared to his previous stints. He seems to have adjusted and is developing into a decent #4C.

52% on the draw, which is good considering he's getting over 60% of his starts in the d-zone.

Hockey Reference has him at 40 hits through 32 games. His previous 30 games over the previous two seasons he had 30 hits - so he's being a bit more physical. I suspect as he matures and gets more comfortable at the NHL level that he will become more physical over time. Not a bruiser, but he will assert himself a bit more.

Also at 48.3% CF, which isn't great by any means, but that's higher than it's been in his previous NHL stints so there's some progress.

In short - I think he's still pretty mediocre but he's improving his game. Not a liability and isn't a standout either, just doing his job admirably. I think he really benefits when he has wingers like Moore, Ennis, Lindholm - guys who have some quickness and speed in their game. When he's played with slower wingers, he doesn't look as good.

Goat has definitely been more physical lately. There were a couple examples in last nights game in both the offensive and defensive zones where he stapled his guy to the boards and the poor 'nuck was helpless while the second Leaf came in and stole the puck away. Stuff like this is really helping the fourth line maintain possession and o-zone time. Speedy wingers give him good options with the puck when he does have it, because he's not going to do anything other than dump it in by himself.

Except for when he rips an Ovechkin-like wrister off the crossbar from the top of the faceoff circle on the rush. He does it once every 10-15 games or so and it's always like, where the f*** did that come from???

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Goat laid some good hits and one behind our net freed the puck that directly lead to Moores goal

I saw at least three hits, all good ones....I hope he liked the taste of blood and it turns him into a raving lunatic.....or something a little tamer, like a Tasmanian devil.

ETA: he was only credited with 2hits, but one I remember in van corner where he sort of missed but rushed the play hit the players stick. Very aggressive play, in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I saw at least three hits, all good ones....I hope he liked the taste of blood and it turns him into a raving lunatic.....or something a little tamer, like a Tasmanian devil.

ETA: he was only credited with 2hits, but one I remember in van corner where he sort of missed but rushed the play hit the players stick. Very aggressive play, in my book.
He has been using his size well lately. Not hitting but squeezing the man off the puck, which I'm ok with. It doesn't need to be a bone jarring hit to be effective.
If he keeps on this path he could become that Brian Boyle type 4th line centre.
Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Who's gonna tell Sparks? Are you gonna do it or should I?

Meh, it's one game and about as easy a shutdown as one can get in todays game.

I will say though, and it's only natural for him to feel this way; the only Leaf who probably didn't like seeing the shutout was Sparks...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't think I've heard a mediocre goaltender having a league average season getting blown out in a game get as much praise as Markström did last night. You'd have thought it was Gibson having a rare off night.

Anyway. Strong night. Did just what I missed about the Minnesota game, put in that little bit of extra effort to help out their third-string goaltender.

That is just the Western Bias from two guys with strong connections to the West. I've never heard commentators talk so much in glowing praise of a guy (Boesser?) who chased another guy (Marner) and never touched the puck, shouldn't they talk about how ineffective Boesser was on that play and how over matched/ under conditioned he was against a clearly more skilled / better conditioned player? Hughson called the game as if it was a Vancouver home game... praising the smallest Vancouver action and glossing over the consistent and persistent strong play by Toronto.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't know what you guys are talking about, Hughson isn't a Canucks fan, if anything he's a Leafs fan, don't you remember for many years he was the voice of the Blue Jays. His broadcasting career has involves Toronto teams.

He was born in Fort St,John, BC, he was the play by play guy for the Vancouver Canucks from 1979–1982, 1994–2008. He's a little more than biased.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
That is just the Western Bias from two guys with strong connections to the West. I've never heard commentators talk so much in glowing praise of a guy (Boesser?) who chased another guy (Marner) and never touched the puck, shouldn't they talk about how ineffective Boesser was on that play and how over matched/ under conditioned he was against a clearly more skilled / better conditioned player? Hughson called the game as if it was a Vancouver home game... praising the smallest Vancouver action and glossing over the consistent and persistent strong play by Toronto.

And the whole production is pretty f-up too, they showed the Vancouver skyline just before the puck drop when the game was in Toronto. No wonder why most HNIC Leafs games this year didn't draw much viewerships at all(mostly under 900k per game, while 2.5 million watched WJH on TSN)

Reactions: Trawna Phan

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
A pretty good game for the boys. Really like the Marlies Grads, they all seem to be gritty, with good speed and play a simple game(except for Goat).
The Goat has actually looked great these past few weeks.

He's faster than he has ever been, better shot and he's using his body more effectivley.

Reactions: JustAShadow

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017

I got a good laugh out of that one. Marner completely dangles and outsmuscles boeser yet somehow in hughson backwards world boeser was the shining star on that play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad