Leafs Winning Individual Awards

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Team's off to a good start, and our boys are banking points, do we see any of our guys pushing or even winning a major award this year?

How I see it:

Calder - doubt we have anyone even close
Vezina - Don't look now, but "slow starter" Freddy is sitting 2nd in the league in SV%, so if he keeps it up and we maintain our pace he could get some votes, I don't see him winning though. I predict Freddy finishes 5th-7th.
Norris - Justin Holl anyone? Also Rielly is 7th in D scoring, regardless, I don't see any of our D pushing for the Norris, maybe Rielly gets a vote or two but I don't see us really contending for the Norris.
Art Ross - Mitchy is making a pretty good run at this so far, I think we could see him get close but fall a little short
Selke - I don't think we have anyone win, but I can see all of Matthews, Marner and Hyman getting some votes, no real contention though
Lady Byng - Matthews likely pushes for the Byng again
Jack Adams - could Keefe push? Feels unlikely but maybe if we keep up the pace he gets a few votes, especially if the PP keeps chugging along at record pace
Rocket - Matthews is winning. Book it.
Clancy - I have no clue here, doubtful
Ted Lindsay - could one of Matthews, Marner or Tavares contend for the Lindsay? Maybe one of Mitchy or Matthews if they win the Ross or Rocket, probably McD's award to lose though
Jennings - yeah, we're not good enough defensively for this
Messier - not sure
Gregory - I highly doubt Dubas gets consideration for this
Masterton - don't know
Foundation award - don't think we have anyone

So overall, Matty for Rocket, Marner maybe pushes for the Art Ross, and both get close but fall short for the Ted Lindsay.

What do you guys think?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't think we win any, and I will leave the Individual Award cheerleading to the main boards.

I think Matthews could get into the Selke conversation if he goes up 1 more gear defensively. I've seen him play Selke calibre hockey a few times this season.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't think we win any, and I will leave the Individual Award cheerleading to the main boards.

I think Matthews could get into the Selke conversation if he goes up 1 more gear defensively. I've seen him play Selke calibre hockey a few times this season.
Matthews turning into a Selke contender would make this team unreal, imagine Ovies shot with like, Stones 2 way play

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Matthews turning into a Selke contender would make this team unreal, imagine Ovies shot with like, Stones 2 way play
Matty is already one of the best stick checkers in the league, always seems to be able to lift a stick and come out of the corner with the puck

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How does one even win the Byng?
It really depends on their point totals and penalty minutes, plus some other factors. Last season Matthews had a total of 8:00 penalty minutes to go along with his 47 goals and 80 points. Plus his penalty minutes was the least amount compared to Nathan MacKinnon and Ryan O'Reilly who were the other finalists.

However since MacKinnon had more points with 93 I guess that's why the Hockey writers decided to give him the Byng as a consolation prize since he finished 2nd to Draisaitl for the Hart Trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad