Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I wasn't in the GDT tonight so I don't know if it was noticed - but in the 2nd half of the game Rielly was used a lot on the right side with both Hainsey and Dermott.

Makes you think that we may be looking at another lefty.
Rielly has been playing on the right side a lot for a long time as he is our best Right side and left side D man and depending on what side the top players play he is matchup against he plays that side in a game.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think they should consider sitting Matthews for a couple weeks. Perhaps until the end of the regular season. I have felt that he has been playing with nagging injuries for most, if not all, of the time since he came back from the initial injury. Leafs are in a comfortable position. There are plenty of people who could step up. Marleau, Nylander or Aaltonen at C. If it is Marleau or Nylander moving to C, then there are still decent options to fill in that newly opened wing spot between the Marlies and Martin so Babs wouldn't have to worry about letting Leivo into a game.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Leafs only play 5 games the next 2 weeks so eh matthews can rest

though he probably wants to play in the outdoor game next weekend

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Yeah, but some folks use the "we're playing in a weak conference" reasoning to try and discredit the fact that we're a good team and the main reason we're in the playoffs is because we're in a weak conference which is complete bogus. Try using that reasoning on Tampa and Boston, doesn't work either.

I only lurk the main boards every now and then and haven't seen that being said. Although, I can imagine a few poster who might say things like that....

Mar 14, 2011
Its nice to see Rielly doing so well offensively this year (his 1st in xGF/60 among the leafs D) but once again his 5 vs 5 defensive numbers are somewhat underwhelming.
xGA/60- 2.9 (last among Leafs D for players with at least 20 games played)
high danger chances against per 60- 12.83 (last among Leafs D with at least 20 games played)
actual GA/60- 2.5 (only Borgman is worst)

On the other side Gardiner's numbers is surprisingly good despite all the crap he receives on these forum for his defensive game
xGA/60- 2.47 (3rd among Leafs D with at least 20 games)
HDCA/60- 10.05 (3rd among Leafs D)
actual GA/60- 2.07 (only Dermott, who wasn't here when Freddy was struggling, has better results)
I really hope Gardiner gets resigned, losing him will be a huge blow for the Leafs defence.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And the Leafs juggernaut keeps rolling along. Always nice to win when you come back from a two goal deficit. :)

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Reilly was buzzing all game. He's feeling it. Best defenseman in the game by a long shot, maybe best player in the game.

Hopefully Matthews is OK, he looked fine afterwards, just in pain, and the hit didn't look that bad.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews looked to be in a lot of pain there, most likely his shoulder.

Looked like he was favoring his upper right side. Clutterbuck did not hit him shoulder on shoulder so if it is a shoulder hopefully it is not a separated shoulder or a broken collarbone.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Barzal must have read our PGT thread after their 5-0 loss to the Leafs and showed up. Leafs played uphill all night. Islanders needed the game more, got good goaltending, were the better team overall and still lost.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Reilly looked great last night.
I don't know, I wondered if Matthews got crunched in his ribs?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If you're the other team you target guys like Matthews on purpose. Hit him hard, to hurt, whenever you can. His career will be shorter and less productive than it could be, unless Lou gets busy making a team a lot tougher. He's got some good guys but they need to be traded for the right guys.

I don't think having face punchers on the ice would have helped what happened last night.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
And, on the faceoff dot!

He doesn't get credit in his stats either.....

As of the 2005-06 season, the NHL adopted the shootout to settle ties in regular season games. The shootout is used if the game remains tied after five minutes of overtime: ... The shootout does not count towards individual statistics. A shootout goal is not added to a player's total goals or total points.Mar 25, 2017

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Its nice to see Rielly doing so well offensively this year (his 1st in xGF/60 among the leafs D) but once again his 5 vs 5 defensive numbers are somewhat underwhelming.
xGA/60- 2.9 (last among Leafs D for players with at least 20 games played)
high danger chances against per 60- 12.83 (last among Leafs D with at least 20 games played)

actual GA/60- 2.5 (only Borgman is worst)

On the other side Gardiner's numbers is surprisingly good despite all the crap he receives on these forum for his defensive game
xGA/60- 2.47 (3rd among Leafs D with at least 20 games)
HDCA/60- 10.05 (3rd among Leafs D)
actual GA/60- 2.07 (only Dermott, who wasn't here when Freddy was struggling, has better results)
I really hope Gardiner gets resigned, losing him will be a huge blow for the Leafs defence.

Wow, that doesn't look good at all, I'm not a big stats guy so not sure what to make of this. I believe Zeke has been saying that expected goals are the best measure we have so I wonder what he thinks?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I swear Gardiner got 2 assists yesterday but nhl.com is saying only 1.

Weird didn't he get an assist on the opening goal and the Matthews goal?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Your get annoying with this Bozak is the victim routine.
Mike "we need to fire him" Babcock wins again. Works that way too.
Huh? :dunno:

For a 3rd or 4th line centre, Bozak is just fine! Sure, he has his weakness on the defensive side of the game, at times. However, the skills he has are darned good when he's not slotted in as a 1st or 2nd line centre.

In a huge way, yes, he was a victim of timing in his early years on the team. He should never have been forced to be a #1 centre with Kessel! But, our Leafs had no other centres in the organization to fill the role. I feel he has been over vilified for being put into a situation he had no control over.

I may be annoying for supporting Bozak, however, some on here are just as annoying for not supporting Leaf players period, even if they're not their favourite player!

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->