Post-Game Talk: Leafs win! Set new Franchise points record!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Makes you wonder why it was so hard to beat that record?

Leafs are a good team this year, but there are several team who are better.

Leafs management is getting into the good category.

I'm positive one of Potvin, Joseph, or Belfour would've had more wins had shootouts existed in their day. 3 of Raycrofts wins that year were in the shootout. Not a ton, but it still counts as wins our past goaltenders didn't have the opportunity to get.

Reactions: hoglund

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This points total record is a little misleading, the Leafs have 7 shoot out wins and 7 more points that were impossible to get before 2005, so really the 2004 is still the record for most points.

Reactions: 666

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
There have been reasons to dislike his play but he’s absolutely become a scapegoat. People blamed the NJ loss on him for example, if we lose a game in the playoffs where he’s playing it will likely be blamed on him.

As long as I’ve been a Leaf fan we’ve always loved finding a player to channel all our complaints into.

There's a bunch of pathetic, know-it-all whiners on this board. They embarrass themselves all the time. Their unrelenting stupidity and attacks on players are a black mark on the fanbase, but hey, what can ya do?

Just use the ignore feature.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

I don't wonder at all, it's pretty obvious why. The problem has always been poor management and drafting which led to a lack of elite level talent.

This year was good, but nothing amazing. Hopefully this new regime can smash that rather embarassing record several times over.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't wonder at all, it's pretty obvious why. The problem has always been poor management and drafting which led to a lack of elite level talent.

This year was good, but nothing amazing. Hopefully this new regime can smash that rather embarassing record several times over.

Leafs historical bar was low so that made it an achievable record to break for exactly the reason you stated poor management/ownership and lack of a draft rebuild plan.

Enter Shanny as new management under Rogers/Bell new ownership and a "Scorched Earth" mandate and draft rebuild strategy and in less than 3 years Leafs are breaking historical team records by both team and players.

Only direction is UP from here and new records to come and hopefully and most important 50+ year droughts end.

Reactions: LeafsAndFlames

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Agreed. Good, not amazing.

Nashville was amazing, Vegas was amazing, Winnipeg was amazing ...

You have to look at their management and say they are at a minimum as good as anything in Toronto.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Unreal that this is the team to do it and so early on in the "Babcock era" or however you want to call it

I don't think this will be the last time that this group of players break these records

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It is just the start, of our core players only Kadri and Gardiner have probably peaked. Next year should be even better if we find a way to replace JVR.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
If you look around here we win despite Babcock, not because of him. It's very funny.
lol

I used the Babcock hiring as just the beginning of a period of time. You could call it the "Shanaplan era" or "Matthews era" whatever

Definitely shouldn't be coming on here if you want to learn how to coach a hockey team though ;)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It is just the start, of our core players only Kadri and Gardiner have probably peaked.

Careful... you can’t call it the possible start of a trend... even thought he point curve shows a climb with a peak and now a slight decline.

Wait for it... wait for it...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bab's on Hyman tonight: "40 pts is alot of points..."

With no powerplay time, he's not wrong. He ranks in the top 90 among forwards at ES scoring.

I think he'll continue to progress as we head into next season.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The part of the game that is necessary, but is hard to accept by a gamer/fantasy pool/fickle fan. I saw Gardiner, JVR, and Dermott all give the puck away, but you don't see me ripping the coach. "Lunacy"? If Komarov played for Finland in WCH his coach would play him the same way. Let me guess! He's a lunatic too?
If you can’t see that his game has declined, or his advanced stats are at a team worst, or that he was demoted to the 4th line cause he was anchor to Kadri and Marner, then I don’t know how to help you understand. He’s had a clear deterioration in his game this year regardless of the metric you use. And it is lunacy to compare what Gardiner and Dermott bring to the game RIGHT NOW as opposed to Komarov.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This points total record is a little misleading, the Leafs have 7 shoot out wins and 7 more points that were impossible to get before 2005, so really the 2004 is still the record for most points.

What is the point here?

The internet- a great interactive tool to split hairs.

I heard this same point from an Oilers fan (they can't bare to reflect on their piece of **** team, and have to focus on the leafs' reg. season record).It sounds like the hair-splitting fact of 7 shootout wins is out there in the general hockey media. If anyone can remember the ******** 2004 season, we got knocked out in the second round by the flyers. There is no f***** reason to be proud of that record for wins when we probably should have been better. We should have gone further. No one even remembers the hiring of JFJ and the submarine job they did on Pat Quinn. No! We got the ********* franchise record for ********* wins!!!

Give me a ******** break!

The leafs need to now show big in the playoffs! Who cares about the regular season record! Does the Leafs Purist Regular Season Faith Protectors Club really want to compare the two seasons and the two teams!?!! The 2004 record is a ******** symbol for some of the darkest times in team history. Even the Ballard years don't compare.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If you can’t see that his game has declined, or his advanced stats are at a team worst, or that he was demoted to the 4th line cause he was anchor to Kadri and Marner, then I don’t know how to help you understand. He’s had a clear deterioration in his game this year regardless of the metric you use. And it is lunacy to compare what Gardiner and Dermott bring to the game RIGHT NOW as opposed to Komarov.

This is a case of mistaken identity. You've got the wrong guy.
Stop arguing a point I never made.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is a case of mistaken identity. You've got the wrong guy.
Stop arguing a point I never made.

edit - all I said was that he had a good game. All teams have their role players and guys that play the 4th line! I am not about his roster history this season. I am not arguing that he needs to play with Kadri again. We need Uncle Leo to win. All good teams have a role player like him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kapanen is better then Komarov and its really not close. Johnsson is also better.
Please put Leo on the press box. He should not be playing.

Reactions: Funk21

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

To be fair... the league only played 82 games starting in 1995. And the loser point has only been around for 18 years.

Which means that this is the leafs best season in 18 years. Which makes sense... We were an embarrassingly horrible team almost every season since the 2004 lockout.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
edit - all I said was that he had a good game. All teams have their role players and guys that play the 4th line! I am not about his roster history this season. I am not arguing that he needs to play with Kadri again. We need Uncle Leo to win. All good teams have a role player like him.
Lol so how is it a case of mistaken identity? I directly quoted you. Btw, I think Johnsson is a better fit for that 4th line role right now than Uncle Leo.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
What is the point here?

The internet- a great interactive tool to split hairs.

I heard this same point from an Oilers fan (they can't bare to reflect on their piece of **** team, and have to focus on the leafs' reg. season record).It sounds like the hair-splitting fact of 7 shootout wins is out there in the general hockey media. If anyone can remember the ******** 2004 season, we got knocked out in the second round by the flyers. There is no f***** reason to be proud of that record for wins when we probably should have been better. We should have gone further. No one even remembers the hiring of JFJ and the submarine job they did on Pat Quinn. No! We got the ********* franchise record for ********* wins!!!

Give me a ******** break!

The leafs need to now show big in the playoffs! Who cares about the regular season record! Does the Leafs Purist Regular Season Faith Protectors Club really want to compare the two seasons and the two teams!?!! The 2004 record is a ******** symbol for some of the darkest times in team history. Even the Ballard years don't compare.
The point is the 2004 team is better because had the shoot out existed then, they'd have had 5 to 10 more points, that's why previous records for many categories can't really be compared, it's comparing apples to oranges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->