Post-Game Talk: Leafs win! Set new Franchise points record!

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
It's hard for me to believe that the last few games of a Leafs season have been virtually meaningless not because they've chasing ping pong balls, but because they've been firmly in a playoff spot for weeks. It just emphasizes how bad they were for so long, and how exciting it is to have a good young team. Tonight was a fitting end to the season - most of our best players contributed, it wasn't always pretty, but they won in the end.

Onward and upward!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Records were made to be broken...unless you're Gretzky. :)

Congratulations to Andersen and the entire record setting team.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
This is it boys. It’s been a great season to watch. I’m so proud with how quickly we’ve turned the ship around and we have a lot to be proud of. Let us, the most loyal and passionate fan base in all of professional sports rejoice and celebrate a historic season and the beginning of what is to come for years and years. Let’s make these playoffs the best playoffs we possibly can. Love all you Maple Leaf diehards because we know how painful the ride was to get here, but this is what we’ve been waiting for and it’s finally here. So let’s enjoy what’s to come for years and years because us, Leafs Nation, have deserved this. Let us all Stand Witness forever. These are our Buds and we f***ing Stand Witness forever boys!!! GO LEAFS GO!!!!! #BlessYouBoysWhatAGame

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Records were made to be broken...unless you're Gretzky. :)

Congratulations to Andersen and the entire record setting team.

I think Gretzky's had more than one of his records broken since he retired. But there's no way all of them will go. Just no way. Especially the points. Only person that could've challenged him was Lemieux. Unfortunately, the guy had back a plethora of lower back problems, including cancer. But the all-time stats for points per game puts Gretzky at 1.921, and Lemieux at 1.883. There's a pretty sharp drop after those two.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think Gretzky's had more than one of his records broken since he retired. But there's no way all of them will go. Just no way. Especially the points.

I was being a bit cheeky there. Proud of the team and its players on what they've accomplished over the past couple of seasons. Hope this year's ride doesn't end for some time yet. Agree about the points record, and others too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beaninfritz

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Just noticed that Montreal has 9 draft picks upcoming which includes four 2nd rounders ... If they're ever going to avoid the dark years, as the Leafs fell into, they need to capitalize on these picks (especially in the top 60).
They're going to trade a bunch IMO. Bergevin is on his last legs. He's going to be desperate. Throw a max contract at Tavares, deal picks etc.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Happy for Matthews to finish above ppg! what a finish to his season. Gonna be a handful for any team in the 1st round cant wait

Reactions: LDN

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
there was a stat pointed about about Marleau. He is second last in zone exits and zone enteries (last is komarov). Eye tests also confirm this. He is so bad in the neutral zone and offensive zone. Plays die on his stick.

His stats look okay but he got what? 6 empty net goals and 3 tap in goals (amazing matthews passes).

Personally I think he is pretty overrated. He is sooo damn bad offensively. IMO Hyman is a better offensive player than him

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs

Ho-hum...Another season of records being broken and set...:vhappy:

Congratulations on 38 wins, Freddie! And congratulations to the players and the coaches on a record setting season!:thumbu:

And to their season-long detractors...:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
there was a stat pointed about about Marleau. He is second last in zone exits and zone enteries (last is komarov). Eye tests also confirm this. He is so bad in the neutral zone and offensive zone. Plays die on his stick.

His stats look okay but he got what? 6 empty net goals and 3 tap in goals (amazing matthews passes).

Personally I think he is pretty overrated. He is sooo damn bad offensively. IMO Hyman is a better offensive player than him

Fair enough. For me, his totals didn't decline (actually increased by a point) for the first time in a few seasons and he was again good for the full 82. Empty netters shouldn't be too underestimated as they put an exclamation mark on a win. Contributed five GWG and did well with ES production too. Looking forward to what he brings in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Thought I'd add the player ratings for the season. In order:

Near Hart
Matthews 3.73

Elite
Marner 3.35
Nylander 3.30
Rielly 3.27
McElhinney 3.27
Kadri 3.21

Great
Gardiner 3.14
Dermott 3.14
Andersen 3.12
Kapanen 3.11
JvR 3.04

Good
Johnsson 3.00
Marleau 2.99
Brown 2.87
Bozak 2.81
Hyman 2.79
Hainsey 2.75

Mediocre
Zaitsev 2.69
Borgman 2.60
Plekanec 2.59
Carrick 2.57

Bad
Komarov 2.49
Moore 2.42
Martin 2.32
Polak 2.30

A couple of notes:
- Goaltenders. Remember that this is their average game rating. Work loads are not taken into account.
- Marner should probably be higher. I tended to not give him a lot of credit for a long time as I found him rather quiet outside PP production. In the end, he drove those PP results and that should have come through more.
- Results-wise, I've probably been harsh on Rielly. I tend to not give much credit to players for points where they didn't have a lot of impact, but I probably didn't give enough for how he did against top opposition.

seems about right to me

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Did babs and julien do an interview together? I missed the pregame show and can't find the video.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Why? Komarov had a good game.

If you think that, then that tells me you clearly didn't watch the game.

I can name a few plays off the top of my head where he blundered on.

Watch it yourself and you'll spot them all easily.

That and he's slow, plodding, an offensive blackhole and adds absolutely nothing other than the penalty kill, which Johnsson can do.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Wow, we set franchise record in points and Freddy has record for most wins in franchise history. Of course, thread is like 5 pages. Hahaha. Love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad