Post-Game Talk: Leafs win a barn burner

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I like some components of Nylanders game but in the corners and along the boards is not realistic from his game.

Why is he without support? Because Nylander doesn't do corners and boards. Add in that he is not an NHL centre and it kind of results in Tavares doing what he has to do on that line.

Perhaps if Hyman was on that line and Galchenyuk was with M&M it would be the best. Last nights game showed this may be a viable option.

Nylander is great along the boards

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
AM34's stats give nothing to the haters to complain about. If he got most of his points on the PP they would jump on that. If he got EN they would jump on that.
But ES?? Dang. Even haters have to submit to this feat! And let's not forget Babcock playing him under 17 minutes for the first three years.

I wonder if that doesn't lend itself to the complete game he now plays. He didn't when he first joined the NHL but he sure does now.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Nylander is great along the boards

Far from it actually. He can be great along the boards but he's not. He chooses not to engage.

He rarely wins board battles. So many times I have seen him simply bail on a play. He almost reminds me of Phil Kessel in that regards

Reactions: Racer88

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Far from it actually. He can be great along the boards but he's not. He chooses not to engage.

He rarely wins board battles. So many times I have seen him simply bail on a play. He almost reminds me of Phil Kessel in that regards

I agree with this but that Fil kissiel guy was way worse at it. Just thinking about him in a Maple Leaf sweater still gets me agitated a little.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I agree with this but that Fil kissiel guy was way worse at it. Just thinking about him in a Maple Leaf sweater still gets me agitated a little.

Why ? Phil was a great player. The fact that we wanted to him to be something wasn't his fault

Phil in this team scores 40 plus goals easily and he was an underrated passer

His playoff numbers are also great. Phil was never the problem

I expect more out of William. In my opinion he should be with marner and Matthews

And let Gally play with John. John has no chemistry with Nylander

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not sure where you're getting this from. Outside of a mini slump when Matthews has hurt, this team has been winning games at an absurd pace and even with that slump, is just a hair out of 1st place overall.

Take a closer look, I'm pretty sure the glass is at least half full. :)

Yeah I'm not really understanding that either. This team has been comfortably winning games at a sustainable pace. It's not a fluke the Leafs are leading the division

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Why ? Phil was a great player. The fact that we wanted to him to be something wasn't his fault

Phil in this team scores 40 plus goals easily and he was an underrated passer

His playoff numbers are also great. Phil was never the problem

I expect more out of William. In my opinion he should be with marner and Matthews

And let Gally play with John. John has no chemistry with Nylander

No he was/is not a great player. He was a fast skater with a great shot and above average passing. In every other facet of the game he was in the bottom percentile of the league.

I detest his style of game, I've played with guys like him and it's the shits.

He was a horrible example to other players.

I am so glad we disposed of him.

Seems like a fun enough guy to have a beer with and I fully supported him on his battles with the media but I never want players of his style anywhere near my teams.

EDIT - co-incidentally I just turned to the PHO - VGK game and kissiel immediately, and I mean immediately, turned the puck over twice in 30 second period - LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

I wouldnt necessarily call him Kessel but the “good Nylander can be effective along the boards but unfortunately we only see the Good version 35% of the time. It’s a shame because he is so talented but mostly afraid to get hit and only turns it on occasionally

Last edited:
Reactions: fahad203

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I'm not really understanding that either. This team has been comfortably winning games at a sustainable pace. It's not a fluke the Leafs are leading the division

I guess this fact above is why I asked the question. The Leafs are winning, in the top 3 in points overall, just keep winning games in different ways...yet after we beat a team, those fans “aren’t impressed” and they just comment “they won’t win a round” as if they KNOW already how it will play out.

Just seems odd. We beat your team, but that doesn’t impress you. If anything, your team is, by that logic, even LESS impressive. We are top 3, your team is not....but after beating your team, our team won’t win a playoff round. How does saying that make sense?

I say it seems odd simply because everyone here posts their opinion because they believe they know something about hockey, the game, what a won-loss record it, etc, even if they blindly root for one particular team. It seems more like those posts are just thrown out there to the collective hive so they can commiserate amongst themselves and make themselves feel better. Makes for pathetic reading, though. Even when Leafs fans post that kind of thing too.

I have lurked, largely, for years here, posting now and then, and I know the Leafs are quite likely the most hated team (and accordingly, the most despised fan base here), but it seems kinda sad that now that we are having success, other people who would claim to know hockey and understand how the game works would flat out say silly things like I listed above, even though it’s the Leafs, and still expect to be taken seriously.

I also agree that the way last night’s game ended is not the best, and yes, the Leafs shouldn’t do that every game...but they DON’T do that every game. No team plays the perfect game every night, but the good teams just win more often than the others. That is what it comes down to, and hopefully the Leafs get the 8 wins they need to get the heck out of this division and show the rest of the league what they’ve got.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I guess this fact above is why I asked the question. The Leafs are winning, in the top 3 in points overall, just keep winning games in different ways...yet after we beat a team, those fans “aren’t impressed” and they just comment “they won’t win a round” as if they KNOW already how it will play out.

Just seems odd. We beat your team, but that doesn’t impress you. If anything, your team is, by that logic, even LESS impressive. We are top 3, your team is not....but after beating your team, our team won’t win a playoff round. How does saying that make sense?

I say it seems odd simply because everyone here posts their opinion because they believe they know something about hockey, the game, what a won-loss record it, etc, even if they blindly root for one particular team. It seems more like those posts are just thrown out there to the collective hive so they can commiserate amongst themselves and make themselves feel better. Makes for pathetic reading, though. Even when Leafs fans post that kind of thing too.

I have lurked, largely, for years here, posting now and then, and I know the Leafs are quite likely the most hated team (and accordingly, the most despised fan base here), but it seems kinda sad that now that we are having success, other people who would claim to know hockey and understand how the game works would flat out say silly things like I listed above, even though it’s the Leafs, and still expect to be taken seriously.

I also agree that the way last night’s game ended is not the best, and yes, the Leafs shouldn’t do that every game...but they DON’T do that every game. No team plays the perfect game every night, but the good teams just win more often than the others. That is what it comes down to, and hopefully the Leafs get the 8 wins they need to get the heck out of this division and show the rest of the league what they’ve got.

They just try to instigate and quite frankly are trolling.

I am very unclear on how trolling is dealt with on these boards as I have been given warnings and infractions for saying things 1000% less incendiary then others, sometimes based on the same post / quoted posts. ???????????????????????????????

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wouldnt necessarily call him Kessel but the “good Nylander can be effective along the boards but unfortunately we only see the Good version 35% of the time. It’s a shame because he is so talented but mostly afraid to get hit and only turns it on occasionally
The Matthews hat trick goal doesn't happen if Nylander is on that line. Galchenyuk lined up Chabot for the hit, Chabot bailed on the puck...leaving Marner to it, to make the pass to Matthews. Those are the plays that become available with physical play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad