Post-Game Talk: Leafs win a barn burner

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't know the exacts. I thought Babcock was the guy to discover Hyman.

Maybe I am wrong.

Course now. Everyone is probably saying, "it was me". But from my memory, the internet accused Babcock, of all kinds of weird things.

To clarify, I am not a Babcock guy per se. But I think Jack Campbell would give Babcock a tap.

Heck if Jack can do it, so can I.

Detroit had been scouting Larkin at Michigan, Hyman was his line-mate, clearly Larkin was the more talented of the two but Babs wanted Hyman almost as much as he wanted Larkin

When it was clear McKegg wasn't the player they thought he was going to be, Babs suggested that maybe Florida would swap him for Hyman, the rest they say is history

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That was a very entertaining game.

Ottawa sure give our Leafs a run for their money and this is game #8 and all have been nearly 1 goal differences.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Detroit had been scouting Larkin at Michigan, Hyman was his line-mate, clearly Larkin was the more talented of the two but Babs wanted Hyman almost as much as he wanted Larkin

When it was clear McKegg wasn't the player they thought he was going to be, Babs suggested that maybe Florida would swap him for Hyman, the rest they say is history

Dubas' relationship with Hyman predates Babcock

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That Nylander-Larkin decision in 2014 was interesting. Dylan Larkin is a Michigander who was actually a Leaf fan:

For some Larkins, Leafs ties are thicker than family ties - Featurd Stories

PA3uYFk.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Reactions: BertCorbeau

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Hyman also requested to be traded here only or he would go to FA and then try to get into Toronto

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I love that story. On the flipside, I'm also curious about the story of why the Leafs threw Carter Verhaeghe out with the bath water in that Michael Grabner trade. It's been a long road but he seems to have become a really good find for Florida after Tampa developed him into a useful part.

Yeah for sure they hardly gave him a look, it very well could've been something as simple as saying the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong guy, or maybe he liked off ice activities more then he should have, a la Danny Cleary or Bradley Boyes

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah for sure they hardly gave him a look, it very well could've been something as simple as saying the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong guy, or maybe he liked off ice activities more then he should have, a la Danny Cleary or Bradley Boyes

I think Verhaeghe would be like a Josh Leivo type depth guy who was worth keeping around and developing but it happens. I just remember on the eve of the big rebuild before we had anything he was a guy people were circling as a darkhorse so I guess there's a bit of a sentimental attachment to seeing him succeed.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Dude, that one armed stick check? I want his home address lol. Here we have one of the NHL's
Hall has played 30 mins last game. Not sure of his ice time this game, but I guess Keefe trains him to play that long for PO games. May as well try it now to have the feel of it and make some mistakes in regular season.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

LOL, even Steve Simmons admits that it was Dubas who found Hyman.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hyman also requested to be traded here only or he would go to FA and then try to get into Toronto

Based on a recent article, Hyman was fully willing to sign in Florida if they wasted year 1 of his ELC.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I will never understand why, after a Leafs win, the vanquished team’s fan base:

1. Is “not impressed” with the Leafs that just beat their team
2. Knows the Leafs will never win a playoff round
3. States with certainty that our best players stink, are over-rated, draft busts or otherwise completely inept
4. Points out the obvious facts that their team outplayed, outchanced and otherwise owned the Leafs, but the (refs, bad ice, bad luck, bad bounce, Universe in general) were just against them tonight.

Happens EVERY game the Leafs win. Makes no sense.

THE LEAFS JUST BEAT YOUR TEAM. How does this not even register with some of those people?

(As an aside, I should really go back and see if we too say all of this after a Leafs loss, but the last loss seems SOOOOO long ago, so I won’t bother.)

Because most fans have seen enough hockey to sometimes see smokes and mirrors

The fact Leafs even last night had hard time beating Ottawa. They allowed a goal with 20 seconds to go. Constantly having hard time closing out games

Our PP again looked so lackluster and has been for last 12 games

Our D last night was badly played

These are tale tale signs. Contending teams have bad games but they don't make habits of these recurrences

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Tavares might have lost a step but he is making it up by playing with determined effort and great intensity every time he is on the ice. His problem to me has been he likes carrying the puck into the enemy zone - trying to go through multiple opposing players in tight spaces, without support, and often losing the puck in the process.
He should learn to distribute the workload to his wingers, by dumping the puck in and let Willy and whoever to earn their livings in the corners and along the boards, while he circles around the net which he is good at.

I like some components of Nylanders game but in the corners and along the boards is not realistic from his game.

Why is he without support? Because Nylander doesn't do corners and boards. Add in that he is not an NHL centre and it kind of results in Tavares doing what he has to do on that line.

Perhaps if Hyman was on that line and Galchenyuk was with M&M it would be the best. Last nights game showed this may be a viable option.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because most fans have seen enough hockey to sometimes see smokes and mirrors

The fact Leafs even last night had hard time beating Ottawa. They allowed a goal with 20 seconds to go. Constantly having hard time closing out games

Our PP again looked so lackluster and has been for last 12 games

Our D last night was badly played

These are tale tale signs. Contending teams have bad games but they don't make habits of these recurrences

Not sure where you're getting this from. Outside of a mini slump when Matthews has hurt, this team has been winning games at an absurd pace and even with that slump, is just a hair out of 1st place overall.

Take a closer look, I'm pretty sure the glass is at least half full. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad