Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 7-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Tyler Ennis is on pace for 18-19 goals. If he can hit the 20 goal mark that was would be incredible considering he plays on the 4th line.
He got off to a slow start but he's been pretty good this season IMO.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Tyler Ennis is on pace for 18-19 goals. If he can hit the 20 goal mark that was would be incredible considering he plays on the 4th line.

Could fetch a 2nd round pick when we move him.

Good pickup.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Could fetch a 2nd round pick when we move him.

Good pickup.

I honestly would prefer not to move him. Our 4th line without him would be complete sh*t. And we all know how much Babs loves playing that fourth line.

But tbh if someone offered us a 2nd round pick for him, which I doubt, I'd definitely accept.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I honestly would prefer not to move him. Our 4th line without him would be complete sh*t. And we all know how much Babs loves playing that fourth line.

But tbh if someone offered us a 2nd round pick for him, which I doubt, I'd definitely accept.

Nah. Leafs nation needs to stop falling in love with plugs. Ennis isn't the difference here. If someone offers a second round pick for him, you take it and run. Leivo was better when he was here and he got traded for even less.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

Only way to improve is to change - Presumably, you're not intending on changing your top 3 lines, who would you move out for picks / prospects ?

We'll need cap space and he's a UFA at the end of this year.

Assuming you have no intention of letting him walk for nothing, why wouldn't you trade him for assets?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You may accept but I doubt very much the Leafs would care unless they are bringing in an upgrade.
This Team is thinking a Playoff run, not dumping players for picks.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Only way to improve is to change - Presumably, you're not intending on changing your top 3 lines, who would you move out for picks / prospects ?

Assuming you have no intention of letting him walk for nothing, why wouldn't you trade him for assets?

I think a better question is that if we move Ennis, who takes his place? And I assume he's saying that yes we will let him walk for nothing (or perhaps resign him) but the point is that we're trying to win now and if he's helping, that's why we would keep him.

Reactions: ACC1224

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I think a better question is that if we move Ennis, who takes his place? And I assume he's saying that yes we will let him walk for nothing (or perhaps resign him) but the point is that we're trying to win now and if he's helping, that's why we would keep him.

Assuming there's an offer that includes him,

He's more valuable to us a trade commodity than someone that can pick up the scoring on the 4th line.

We're not having issues scoring and we don't need to win games 7-2 on a nightly basis.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Ennos is legit. He is actually a very skilled player who is overlooked and carries bad rap for a strange reason. If he was 6 inches taller he would have more praise.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Assuming there's an offer that includes him,

He's more valuable to us a trade commodity than someone that can pick up the scoring on the 4th line.

We're not having issues scoring and we don't need to win games 7-2 on a nightly basis.

If he plays the entire year on the 4th line, why would you trade him before the playoffs? Makes no sense. We don't need picks that badly, we have enough young talent on the team and in the minors.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
If he plays the entire year on the 4th line, why would you trade him before the playoffs? Makes no sense. We don't need picks that badly, we have enough young talent on the team and in the minors.

As mentioned, I'm assuming that he could also be packaged in an offer that would presumably intend to fill greater needs other than scoring.

Not all trades are for picks....?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
As mentioned, I'm assuming that he could also be packaged in an offer that would presumably intend to fill greater needs other than scoring.

Not all trades are for picks....?

Ridiculous assumption.

Nobody's trading a good, everyday piece for a 4th line UFA. Never happens. Not even as a throw in guy.

And whats this offer that fills a greater need? I presume you mean defence right?

Who's trading us a dman? Likely not a playoff team.

So we're left with non playoff teams.... uhhh. yaaa... they'll have no interest in Ennis.

Any team that WOULD be interested in Ennis would be looking to shore up their 4th line for a playoff run. Hey, look at that, WE'RE LOOKING AT A PLAYOFF RUN.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Listen guys this is same guy who had 2 bad years with Sabres and they offloaded him to Minnesota where they stratched him most nights and then bought out his contract. Around the league he carries little to no value. He is looked at as a soft player who disappears when games get tight. So far that's what i see here too.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Ridiculous assumption.

Nobody's trading a good, everyday piece for a 4th line UFA. Never happens. Not even as a throw in guy.

And whats this offer that fills a greater need? I presume you mean defence right?

Who's trading us a dman? Likely not a playoff team.

So we're left with non playoff teams.... uhhh. yaaa... they'll have no interest in Ennis.

Any team that WOULD be interested in Ennis would be looking to shore up their 4th line for a playoff run. Hey, look at that, WE'RE LOOKING AT A PLAYOFF RUN.

It's not ridiculous. There's lots of teams and they're all fighting for playoff spots and positioning therein.
Acquiring a player like Ennis could be - more - helpful to them, than us scoring an abundance of goals.
I think you need to take a breath, your sentence structure makes me think you talk the way you write, and you're likely gasping for air after yelling at the screen.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Ennos is legit. He is actually a very skilled player who is overlooked and carries bad rap for a strange reason. If he was 6 inches taller he would have more praise.

Thats like saying Matthews could single-handedly win a cup if he was 6 inches taller.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
His game would improve if he played with someone who fed him the puck.

Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Ennis Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Nylander
Lindholm/Goat/Hyman or Hyman/Lindholm/Brown

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
It's not ridiculous. There's lots of teams and they're all fighting for playoff spots and positioning therein.
Acquiring a player like Ennis could be - more - helpful to them, than us scoring an abundance of goals.
I think you need to take a breath, your sentence structure makes me think you talk the way you write, and you're likely gasping for air after yelling at the screen.

No need for personal attacks.

Playoff teams, quite literally, have players of this caliber fill out their 4th lines. They aren't moving them. I just checked the Caps, and they have Devante Smith-Pelly, Brett Connolly, and Nic Dowd. Do you think they will be trading any of them (for picks?)

Playoff teams acquire these types of players. Not deal them. Just look at us the past 2 seasons... Brian Boyle and Tomas Plekanec came from non-playoff teams. Both were pending UFA's.

And playoff bubble teams, as you suggested, look for these types of players from non-playoff teams as well (again, us and Boyle).

I really don't think you've thought this through at all.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

What do we need the cap space for? We have plenty this year. And like you said, he's a UFA at the end of the year.

And if we trade him, well we would surely call somebody up. Ennis is at $650K. Whoever we call up is very likely more expensive. We'd actually increase our cap hit.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
No way he gets that much. Are teams that stupid? He really doesn't have that much skill for a little guy. 4-5 million? From who?

Even good 3rd liner is worth that in this NHL and with cap raising you get even more inflated contracts. GMs would look at him and say "hey, look Ennis scored almost 20 goals on 4th line playing with plugs. he sure scores 30 with players x and y on my team."
I like it when ppl on here say "no way Ennis gets 4-5 mil" and then on the same page others want to trade him for 2nd round pick as UFA. Don't you guys think that if team extends 2nd round pick they would sign him to 4-5 mil? Isn't he valuable commodity then?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Uhh if someone gives you a 2nd for Ennis you run to the bank laughing. We have like 4 players on the Marlies who could slot it.

Reactions: stickty111

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not sure if it's been mentioned, but last night's game was the 6th or 7th in a row that we were the better team by volume of corsi attempts, fenwick attempts, shots, scoring chances and high danger chances. The game against Minnesota on Dec 1st is the last one that we were outplayed by the measurables. The Carolina game to follow that one wasn't great but a coin toss, the ones since we've been decidedly better than the opponent, so that probably bodes well. Andersen sporting an .890 sv% and 3.4ogaa in that time, facing 30.3 shots against which would be good for the 9th best in the NHL comparing to today's averages

This looks like: team has been excellent both offensively and defensively, goaltending has been bad in a small sample from a goalie who's average performance is pretty good so he's likely to improve

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
His game would improve if he played with someone who fed him the puck.

Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Ennis Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Nylander
Lindholm/Goat/Hyman or Hyman/Lindholm/Brown
I really doubt it. Almost all of the success Ennis have had has come from using his individual ability to attack fourth line competition. When he was higher up in the lineup, he was completely and effectively neutralized. Let him continue to do what has worked for him.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad