Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 7-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
At some point people need to allow themselves to enjoy the team

Are you sure? Wouldn't it be more fun to argue about Tyler Ennis or how Babcock is so terrible that without him we'd go from second in the league to undefeated.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
In a loss you get people saying how bad Brown is and that takes up a good six pages each time. In a win, and Brown getting tree assists, those people have little to talk about.
Be honest that was one of three games this year where Brown was a force and they were all against bad teams. I like Brownie but he is nowhere near like he was 2 years ago. If we could see Brownie every game like that then great we got rookie Brownie back. Everyone would be happy.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Same with Ennis when playing in games where ice is open he looks great. In tighter games you don't see him.
To be fair though, Ennis has not much of talent to play with on 4th line. Against weak team he can accomplish something by his individual play, which is much harder to do against top teams. He has been 2nd liner and sometimes even 1st liner in his career and it's good for us to have player like him on 4th line. I don't even have any hope as some here that he would sign with us after this season. He clearly plays for his next contract and he will get decent one in 4-5 mil range.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To be fair though, Ennis has not much of talent to play with on 4th line. Against weak team he can accomplish something by his individual play, which is much harder to do against top teams. He has been 2nd liner and sometimes even 1st liner in his career and it's good for us to have player like him on 4th line. I don't even have any hope as some here that he would sign with us after this season. He clearly plays for his next contract and he will get decent one in 4-5 mil range.

No way he gets that much. Are teams that stupid? He really doesn't have that much skill for a little guy. 4-5 million? From who?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He will be lucky to get another contract next season in the NHL. He is invisible against better teams which play a tighter game. Last night was one of games where Brownie played like a beast on puck (much like some games Leivo played). Ennis needs that element on his line and a open ice opponent to look good.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Even with MVP Hall I don't know how they managed 44 wins.
Hall can do it here and there. Much like Wendel. But over a year it takes a toll. You can't ask a guy to be the horse, be the forecheck and the nasty hitting guy game in game out for several years in a row. Da back gives out.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He will be lucky to get another contract next season in the NHL. He is invisible against better teams which play a tighter game. Last night was one of games where Brownie played like a beast on puck (much like some games Leivo played). Ennis needs that element on his line and a open ice opponent to look good.

You might want to lower your expectations for a player that was picked up off the scrapheap and making the minimum. Having said that he has outperformed his contract IMO and probably in the coach's as well. Of course I am not opposed to replacing him with a better option if one is available.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
In a loss you get people saying how bad Brown is and that takes up a good six pages each time. In a win, and Brown getting tree assists, those people have little to talk about.

True. And seems only fair to sing his praises on a night like this. He did some great grunt work to earn those apples. His work on the Rielly buzzer beater (which was the backbreaker) was terrific in particular.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

Matthews and Nylander have always been invisible when things tighten up. For a guy who is making leagues minimum, Ennis has been great so far.

Reactions: ToneDog

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hall can do it here and there. Much like Wendel. But over a year it takes a toll. You can't ask a guy to be the horse, be the forecheck and the nasty hitting guy game in game out for several years in a row. Da back gives out.

Hall is scoring goals at a lesser clip than last year but he's still at PPG ... And they're actually pacing to score more goals than they were last year.

NJ's issues is goaltending/defense. They're on pace to allow somewhere around 50 more goals in total from last year to this year, and their team save % is down a couple of points.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You might want to lower your expectations for a player that was picked up off the scrapheap and making the minimum. Having said that he has outperformed his contract IMO and probably in the coach's as well. Of course I am not opposed to replacing him with a better option if one is available.
I would try to keep him at minimum and play him against most teams on 4th line. But we also need a bigger and nastier version of Leivo for the 4th line who can clean up some spills once in a while.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matthews and Nylander have always been invisible when things tighten up. For a guy who is making leagues minimum, Ennis has been great so far.
Agreed but you are talking about kids learning the NHL playoffs too ... different with vet like Ennis

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
At some point people need to allow themselves to enjoy the team

It'd be so nice to see PGTs where we don't talk about the 'need' to dominate. Instead, let's just win. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed this win, but I still would have enjoyed it had it been a 2-1 OT win, it just would have been stressful viewing.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
They actually made the playoffs last year, that's the one I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

They made it by one point as a Wildcard and that's mainly because of how bad all teams outside the top 3 in our division were. This year, so far it looks like there is a strong possibility that both wildcards will be taken by Atlantic division teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad