Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Was a big critic of Marner before his injury. He had 18 in 18 but played like he should have had half of that. So many points where he didn't have much of an impact, on top of very frustrating play. Since coming back he's been absolutely terrific though, just a treat to watch more or less every game for us.

Whether people still don’t want to admit it or not, Hyman creates space for the skill guys. He’s easily the best fit beside Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner.

Im hoping Nick Robertson can develop into a similar role, but obviously Robertson has more offensive skill (though Hyman’s finishing ability has developed quite well).

It’s nice to see Tavares, Marner and Hyman going full steam again. It’s one of, if not the best like in hockey when it gets going

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He was off his game, but I think the criticism was a bit over the top, perhaps we expect what we’ve seen recently.

As an aside, read a lot of comments about Andersen, those goals were prime time chances, not sure wtf some expect?? Their goalie was awful, half our goals were pure garbage.
Agree on Andersen. There's only so much a goalie can do if you leave two players alone in front of the net. The third was a golden road pass with a quick release from a good position. That's a chance that probably gets converted 35-40% of the time, especially if it's a good shooter.

He did look shaky at times, but I had no issues with him in this game otherwise.

You might be right about Marner. The high expectations and the big contract might have made some (including me) unfairly harsh on him.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Agree on Andersen. There's only so much a goalie can do if you leave two players alone in front of the net. The third was a golden road pass with a quick release from a good position. That's a chance that probably gets converted 35-40% of the time, especially if it's a good shooter.

He did look shaky at times, but I had no issues with him in this game otherwise.

You might be right about Marner. The high expectations and the big contract might have made some (including me) unfairly harsh on him.
And Marner may have put too much pressure on himself to live up to the contract. Having the “old band” back together has created some comfort and now he’s out of his own head.

We are absolutely devastating with two prime lines, never mind an emerging third line threat.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Things are trending the right direction as we head into Christmas.

Big win for the boys in a big 3rd period.

This was one of those games where 1/2 your cap spent on 4 forwards had a real return on investment.

Reactions: Al14

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kerfoot might not be Kadri but I think he's been pretty solid.

For such a small guy he gets involved and doesnt play scared.

Looks responsible defensively.

That third line is really tilting the ice for us right now.

I always run down the deal. Kerfoot is playing really good. Winning me over i think ha.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'd keep Kapanen since he plays on the RW and he's got more versatility, Johnsson for Mikheyev is LW for LW and we keep the guys who can PK

Johnsson has been PKing under Keefe hasn't he? He did on the Marlies. I don't think we really need to care about our RW depth at all.

I think you can convince another GM to overpay for Kapanen, and I'm really tired of stop-gaps and half measures on the defense.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
looking forward to next season full season with keefe. I hope we make the playoffs this season but we may be just too far back but keep cheering it on until we mathematically can’t make it

Have you looked at the standings? We are right in the thick of it. Only tampa has a heavy GP advantage. MTL is falling back to earth and so is buffalo. We are far from a lock, but this doom and gloom in Decemer while sitting in a playoff spot is ridiculous.

Edit: Another way of looking at this, to guarantee a playoff spot over the next 46 games we need:

- 2 more wins than MTL (2 games against)
- match Buffalo win for win (1 game against)
- 2 more wins than Florida (4 games against)

We are a better team than all 3, and right in the thick of it after a horrible start vs a hot start by MTL and Buf. We are also very close to the Metro wildcard teams that have a ton of divisional games left.

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes, we are a pretty awful team (according to our first period commenters).

3W-0L last three
5W-1Llast six
9W-4L under Keefe
10 away games during that period, 7W-3L
3 home games during that period, 2W-1L

We are not perfect, but my goodness, shouldn't it be easy to get onside with a vastly improved team under Keefe? And, dare I say, we haven't even seen this team hit top speed. There's room for further growth with this squad. Detroit tomorrow, go Leafs go!

A lot of people expect perfection every game. They think giving up a goal or even chance against means you are destined for last place. They have this fantasy that the best teams spend the entire game in the O-zone. These people have a very limited understanding of hockey beyond EA sports and HFB posts. It's best to ignore them.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I see Johnsson as a lesser Nylander.
And Moore as a lesser Hyman.

Matthews already has a (the) Nylander on his line. Matthews needs a Hyman. Moore should join that line.

I wouldn't mess with the third line. So.. AJ and KK to the 4th?

If we do that we'll become a team with 2 first lines and 2 third lines.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
A lot of people expect perfection every game. They think giving up a goal or even chance against means you are destined for last place. They have this fantasy that the best teams spend the entire game in the O-zone. These people have a very limited understanding of hockey beyond EA sports and HFB posts. It's best to ignore them.
Way to go
Excellent take
Your absolutely right with your references
GLG

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The move away from Petan and towards Engvall has played a significant move, particularly factoring in the difference in the Leafs outcome recently as Engvall has contributed at ES as well as excellent PKing.

Envall and Mikheyev 3rd line has generated secondary scoring on a consistent basis, as Leafs are able to play a bigger heavy game with those 2 wingers riding shotgun with Kerfoot.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I had to leave at 3-3 to go to a party. Glad to see the Leafs won this one in the third which seemed to be their Achilles heel as of late. Also nice to see the boys get one for Freddy for a change

Reactions: willmma

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The move away from Petan and towards Engvall has played a significant move, particularly factoring in the difference in the Leafs outcome recently as Engvall has contributed at ES as well as excellent PKing.

Envall and Mikheyev 3rd line has generated secondary scoring on a consistent basis, as Leafs are able to play a bigger heavy game with those 2 wingers riding shotgun with Kerfoot.
100%
Having a solid contributing 3rd line is so vital , no one has that in the league , except for us at the moment
It’s unheard of ..
I would keep it as such and use Kap, AJ , cc , Petan , Barrie and some of our forward depth in the A and picks to come up with a solid DMan and a solid left winger for Mattys line and a goaltender ..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Did you see the goal he just scored tonight?

As for the tunnel vision, Kapanen is your guy. I'd argue that Mikheyev has the second best hockey IQ in our team after Mitch. He is really, really smart and he's showing it as a rookie in NA size rink.

I'd put Engvall in the thinking player category.

I was interested in seeing one of Engvall or Mikheyev in the top 6.

At this point I'm happy going with:
Hyman-Tavares-marner
Engvall-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Moore/Timashov-Gauthier-Spezza

Matthews
Nylander
Kapanen/Korshkov/Moore/Agostino/Timashove and a Hail Mary shot for Bracco (is Bracco a fit anywhere else?).

As much as it would be nice to see one of Engvall / Mikheyev along side the Duo, I wouldn't want to breakup the Kerfoot line that might be the difference maker.
A third line with size, defensive abilities, speed, and some offensive talent.
I think that line has it all, including above average speed.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->