Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This is the team I was looking forward to watching before the season started when looking at the lineup. :nod:

Can't believe how much Babs ruined my enjoyment of watching hockey, and I truly believe the guys who were suffocated by his system and who are breaking out, are REALLY gonna break out as the year continues onward.

Watching the Rangers feed you can hear it in their announcers commentary how scared and in awe they are of our lineup.

Very exciting times to be a leaf fan! :thumbu:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This is the team I was looking forward to watching before the season started when looking at the lineup. :nod:

Can't believe how much Babs ruined my enjoyment of watching hockey, and I truly believe the guys who were suffocated by his system and who are breaking out, are REALLY gonna break out as the year continues onward.

Watching the Rangers feed you can hear it in their announcers commentary how scared and in awe they are of our lineup.

Reactions: David MORO

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I try to watch the visitor feed every chance I get
It's a good way to get the scouting report on the way teams see the leafs.
RANGERS broadcasters raved about marner all night and he delivered
They were impressed with holl and nylander had a real strong game
I been hard on nylander the past month or so but man when he dances he is an all world player

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I find it amazing that I can't find a word of criticism against the Tavares line in Toronto media after they screwed up on all three goals. The two first in particular was really ugly, some of the worst defensive shifts of the year. I've even seen Tavares praised for his defense somehow. What does those three have to do to get criticized?

Marner made up for all that with his offense. Bump him a bit for just being so damn fun. Tavares had his worst game of the season though. Willy and Matthews were awesome, Ceci was good, Mikheyev and Engvall were terrific. Holl too, man he's a find. How on earth did he barely play last season? I'm at a point where I'm getting comfortable calling him a solid two-way top four d-man.

9-4 now, people. The Keefe Leafs are taking off.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I actually don’t even know where we fit johnsson and Moore on this team. We are way too stacked on forwards
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I've liked Tima and Goat all year on the fourth. They've had a few uninspired games, but have been mostly solid. Then again, the hockey gods are injuring our players every week! We keep getting close to that full line-up, but never quite make it there.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I also like watching the other teams feed (especially when the game is on Sportsnet).

The Rangers broadcast team is definitely one of the best in the game. They're never afraid to praise the opposition when appropriate and they're not at all homers. Definitely a recommended away feed to check out, much better than what we usually get.

Reactions: supermann_98

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I find it amazing that I can't find a word of criticism against the Tavares line in Toronto media after they screwed up on all three goals. The two first in particular was really ugly, some of the worst defensive shifts of the year. I've even seen Tavares praised for his defense somehow. What does those three have to do to get criticized?

Marner made up for all that with his offense. Bump him a bit for just being so damn fun. Tavares had his worst game of the season though. Willy and Matthews were awesome, Ceci was good, Mikheyev and Engvall were terrific. Holl too, man he's a find. How on earth did he barely play last season? I'm at a point where I'm getting comfortable calling him a solid two-way top four d-man.

9-4 now, people. The Keefe Leafs are taking off.
It's because that line is made up of three toranna boys.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Red Wings hockey under Babcock was always the most least interesting game on the schedule.

Clearly brought the boredom with him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kappy best suited as #3RW but the way our#3 line of 47 15 and 65 look, it would be hard to break them up once AJ returns. Somebody needs to go and it is looking like one or both of Kappy and AJ could be moved for help on D and backup (unless Hutch finds his game sooner than later).

Reactions: The Kessel Run

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
i want this team in the playoffs
if it was Keefe from September we would be in home ice territory
i LOVE Keefe. His creativity and in-game devisions are so refreshing. Keefe-hockey makes me love hockey again.

We had like 10 bad minutes and kinda an off night for Fred but a well deserved win
i knew Mitch was gonna score he was dancing
i think the Matthews Nylander Kapanen line is starting to click: Matty was great in the dzone, Will had one of his best games and i thought Kappy had some nice and smart moves too.

for me AJ is the odd man out

we need to win tonight

We're still in hone ice territory. Tied for 2nd in the Atlantic with Montreal. Even if Tampa, Florida, and Montreal win their makeup games we're just 4 points out of the home ice position in the division. All three have a worse schedule than us for the next month and a half at least.

Home ice in the playoffs are still very much in reach.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Bottom 6 continues to provide a lot of o-zone time and is chipping in consistently. Spezza was solid, Engvall was great, Mickey looked good and I thought Goat had lots of jump. That was a dominant third.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Thought Engvall and Holl were excellent.

Both have been pleasant surprises to this point.
Engvall's speed is so good coming through the neutral zone, he blows by guys with tiny dekes and head fakes. That line is so fast and has good IQ and skill. Mikheyev is getting results and confidence is starting to rise. Could be a great line very soon.

Reactions: weems

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner on pace for 92 points. 10 points last 6.

Barrie 5th in D man ice time last night.

Reactions: weems

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marner on pace for 92 points. 10 points last 6.

Barrie 5th in D man ice time last night.
Was a big critic of Marner before his injury. He had 18 in 18 but played like he should have had half of that. So many points where he didn't have much of an impact, on top of very frustrating play. Since coming back he's been absolutely terrific though, just a treat to watch more or less every game for us.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I would swap Kerfoot and Kapanen.

Mikheyev and Engvall have been ridiculously good together, even made Gauthier look dangerous for a shift against the Panarin line.

Kerfoot-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Engvall-Kapanen
You are right. Things are going to be very busy once Johnsson and Moore return. Engvall is cementing a spot in my mind. Do we disturb that lines Chemistry?

Johnsson. Matthews. Nylander
Kapanen Tavares. Marner
Engvall. Kerfoot. Mikheyev.
Hyman. Gauthier/Spezza. Moore

??????

Hyman is big on the forecheck for the Tavares line though. I agree I could see one of Kapanen/Johnsson being traded under the right return...but it would have to be good...hopefully a #1 pick (probably lottery protected) to replace the one we lost.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Was a big critic of Marner before his injury. He had 18 in 18 but played like he should have had half of that. So many points where he didn't have much of an impact, on top of very frustrating play. Since coming back he's been absolutely terrific though, just a treat to watch more or less every game for us.
What a takeaway and goal last night...classic Marner.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He was off his game, but I think the criticism was a bit over the top, perhaps we expect what we’ve seen recently.

As an aside, read a lot of comments about Andersen, those goals were prime time chances, not sure wtf some expect?? Their goalie was awful, half our goals were pure garbage.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I know things could always be slightly better, but for me I’m not switching any lines after your top three lines each score two goals. That’s the kind of balanced scoring we’ve been expecting all year!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What a takeaway and goal last night...classic Marner.
A couple days ago I had to defend that YES takeaways are actually an important stat and the league leaders are a who’s who of complete players. It isn’t an accident the great ones also steal pucks and it’s a great hustle stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad