Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-3

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
From the TV point of view it almost looked like Kappy + AJ were arguing over who was going to score the empty net. I'm sure when they got home they continued arguing over who's going to get top bunk.

AJ normally passes to Kappy but he needed that goal.

Yeah I saw that too, looked pretty weird. Kappy didn't even really celebrate with him either lol. But I wouldn't read too much into it.

Responsible play, most important thing is securing the win. If it was an empty net with a 2 goal lead, I could see why Kappy would be pissed but it was still a close 1 goal game at the time.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The big difference with Hyman under Keefe is the sense of entitlement is gone. That drove me nuts about Babcock! He’d crap on any player that wasn’t playing up to his standard but Hyman would always get a free pass. I think it created a lot of unfair fan resentment toward Hyman. He’s playing better now under Keefe imo and the lack of entitlement has gained him more fans. Including me.

Hyman had a sense of entitlement under Babcock? What utter nonsense, the guy's been arguably the hardest working Leaf since he put on the jersey.

The fan resentment stemmed from the fact that many fans did not value what he brought to the team because it wasn't fantastic point totals.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hyman had a sense of entitlement under Babcock? What utter nonsense, the guys been arguably the hardest working Leaf since he put on the jersey.

The fan resentment stemmed from the fact that many fans did not value what he brought to the team because it wasn't fantastic point totals.

Ding ding ding

Reactions: Heritage

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I thought it was one of our better defensive games .
Liking how Mathews is starting to get involved physically.
Barrie it's one of the first games that I was happy with his defensive play.

Johnson and Kappy need to stop making that one extra play because they always lose the puck.
And they need to go to the net.

Moore love his piss and vinegar non stop motor

Still not crazy about the Dermott - Barrie pairing. I think they are too similar to be paired together, although Dermott at least has a bit of a physical edge to his game.

I would like to see:

Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Ceci

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Splitting hairs but closer to an hour and 40 minutes. Still, should help with re-signing him.
His wife has already decided. It is only a question of term and $$$ and finding middle ground. Tik toc tik toc. I expect it will be done before TDL. Both sides want it done so it will. I only hope we don't go 5 years at 5M. I'd rather higher AAV for shorter term but who knows maybe Leafs have lower AAV for longer term because AAV is what is important to them. So shift actual $$$ upfront to get lower AAV. Anywho either way we need him for next 3 years where he should be very productive for our Cup runs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
From the TV point of view it almost looked like Kappy + AJ were arguing over who was going to score the empty net. I'm sure when they got home they continued arguing over who's going to get top bunk.
I don't know what it is, but they really give me a 'Dumb and Dumber' vibe sometimes. Probably because they're both hotheads and do really head-scratching, stupid plays from time to time. Also both frustratingly inconsistent.

Reactions: Once

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Unless he really liked living in California.
He loved his buddy Drew. It is hard to leave best friends man. They can still party in summer at either guys place like 20 minutes apart. But he is married now and has a baby. And for a kid who dreamed of being a Leaf the dream is now a reality.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Hyman had a sense of entitlement under Babcock? What utter nonsense, the guys been arguably the hardest working Leaf since he put on the jersey.

Easily.

Those threads where he would get trashed would make for some humorous reading now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Easily.

Those threads where he would get trashed would make for some humorous reading now.

They were just as funny back when they were current. Though that kind of humour gets more and more tiresome as time goes by.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I agree with the first statement, but only to a point with the second.
Some of the criticism of Hyman in that role, at that time was warranted. Hyman has grown a lot since that first season playing with Matthews/Nylander. The offense doesn't die on his stick like it used to.

Reactions: Matte99

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Yeah I saw that too, looked pretty weird. Kappy didn't even really celebrate with him either lol. But I wouldn't read too much into it.
I thought I saw Kaps yelling what the f are you doing, after Johnson iced the puck last night

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hyman might not be the most skilled offensive player on the ice and he'd be even better if he were, but damn if that guy doesn't give it his all every night. Glad he's on our team and hope he stays for a long while. :)

He's this generations Wendel Clarke...nobody will ever be like Wendel but he is as close as we will see, especially in the love he generates from the fan base...

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Some of the criticism of Hyman in that role, at that time was warranted. Hyman has grown a lot since that first season playing with Matthews/Nylander. The offense doesn't die on his stick like it used to.

Ya, I think the people who think nothing has changed with Hyman need to remember how atrocious offensively he was in the first year. The other big problem was that if the team wasn't going Babs would demote Nylander and play Connor ****ing Brown on the first line rather than try a more offensively gifted player with Matthews.

Love Hyman but as usual the revisionist history is utterly baffling.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ya, I think the people who think nothing has changed with Hyman need to remember how atrocious offensively he was in the first year. The other big problem was that if the team wasn't going Babs would demote Nylander and play Connor ****ing Brown on the first line rather than try a more offensively gifted player with Matthews.

Love Hyman but as usual the revisionist history is utterly baffling.

I've ate crow on Hyman but yeah, a lot of the criticism was directed at Babcock (and rightfully so) and not Hyman. The line went really stale a couple times and Babcock refused to try anything else.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I've ate crow on Hyman but yeah, a lot of the criticism was directed at Babcock (and rightfully so) and not Hyman. The line went really stale a couple times and Babcock refused to try anything else.

Yup I liked his work ethic but wasn't a fan of his deployment or stone hands. He's turned it around and good on em. Mirtle says he's really worked hard on improving.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The big difference with Hyman under Keefe is the sense of entitlement is gone. That drove me nuts about Babcock! He’d crap on any player that wasn’t playing up to his standard but Hyman would always get a free pass. I think it created a lot of unfair fan resentment toward Hyman. He’s playing better now under Keefe imo and the lack of entitlement has gained him more fans. Including me.

What-a-story-mark.jpg

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Certainly fed him with a beauty last night that JT did not bury but I'll take my chances that JT figures it out sooner than later. People also forget that JT is getting most of the "hard" minutes which frees up #34 and #16 to play against lesser players.

And is just a bit under PPG while playing the hard minutes and losing the best play making winger on the team. Not too worried either.

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
wow:help::help::help:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Because he wasn't putting up the offensive numbers? That was my assertion, without the points, many didn't appreciate what he brought.

Reactions: rubous

Once

Jul 16, 2010

I saw Kap unnecessarily rush up for the 2 on 0 empty netter. AJ created that opportunity and deserved the goal.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Because he wasn't putting up the offensive numbers? That was my assertion, without the points, many didn't appreciate what he brought.

People understood what he was good at, he was credited for his work ethic, his tenacity and his defensive acumen from very very early on, but to be playing where he was in the lineup there was and should be an expectation that you are contributing more positively to the offense, and I don't mean just points, but a lot of things, whether that is your ability to get the puck to your linemates, to make an individual play, or your ability to convert prime scoring chances to actual production. They are all factors and Hyman has grown a lot in those areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->