Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-3

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I don't know what it is, but they really give me a 'Dumb and Dumber' vibe sometimes. Probably because they're both hotheads and do really head-scratching, stupid plays from time to time. Also both frustratingly inconsistent.

And once in a while they pull some incredible move that generates a scoring chance. Good players but very inconsistent and questionable hockey IQ.

Reactions: 1specter

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
People understood what he was good at, he was credited for his work ethic, his tenacity and his defensive acumen from very very early on, but to be playing where he was in the lineup there was and should be an expectation that you are contributing more positively to the offense, and I don't mean just points, but a lot of things, whether that is your ability to get the puck to your linemates, to make an individual play, or your ability to convert prime scoring chances to actual production. They are all factors and Hyman has grown a lot in those areas.
You can say that of Willy, Matty and Mitch too. The issue was we had a young team so everyone was playing above their grade. Very very few guys have the try motor of Zach. And he has had it since he was a little kid.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Half of me loves the small things JT does but the other half wants so much more. The guy is an absolute beast along the boards and below the red line, most of Willy's production is a result of Tavares' work. But he can't get anything going offensively. I just expect so much more offensively from our 11 million dollar 'franchise' centre and I really hope this is a symptom of fatherhood.

Reactions: ToneDog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You can say that of Willy, Matty and Mitch too. The issue was we had a young team so everyone was playing above their grade. Very very few guys have the try motor of Zach. And he has had it since he was a little kid.

I think people have this misconception maybe that I'm criticizing Hyman, I'm not. If anything, I'm praising the work he's put into his game to become a better player.
I don't think Willy, Matty and Mitch are the same situation though because while they had and still have defensive growth to undergo they landed into the NHL with bonafide top 6 forward (or better) offensive talents. A lot of top 6 players in the NHL never grow a solid defensive game, but usually bottom 6 forwards have to develop their offensive game before they become top 6 guys. Hyman skipped that step, basically all I'm saying...

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Easily.

Those threads where he would get trashed would make for some humorous reading now.

The difference was he was a third liner with stone hands who couldn't finish chances generated by Matthews and Willy.

He's evolved into a really good top 6 F with some hands.

Players change, and opinions should be allowed to change with them.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Easily.

Those threads where he would get trashed would make for some humorous reading now.
to be fair, Hyman wasn't worth of the opportunity he was getting at the time, he's just been plainly better in the last couple of years and especially this year. I was very much a Hyman detractor when he was hitting goalies in the chest on tap in back door plays set up by his linemates or not being able to retrieve pucks in the corners on his own, he's making a lot more contribution to the offensive efforts of his line that he did in the first few seasons

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
His wife has already decided. It is only a question of term and $$$ and finding middle ground. Tik toc tik toc. I expect it will be done before TDL. Both sides want it done so it will. I only hope we don't go 5 years at 5M. I'd rather higher AAV for shorter term but who knows maybe Leafs have lower AAV for longer term because AAV is what is important to them. So shift actual $$$ upfront to get lower AAV. Anywho either way we need him for next 3 years where he should be very productive for our Cup runs.
I would love to know your source one day :laugh:

Not that I doubt you, I think I'm just jealous.

Everything you said makes sense though. If he's signing here, there's no need to drag it out.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
And is just a bit under PPG while playing the hard minutes and losing the best play making winger on the team. Not too worried either.

One thing Bobby Mac said a couple of days ago about JT. He may have bad games but he always puts in the effort.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think Hyman got a bit of an unfair reputation mostly based on what he wasn't and not what he was, and that's never really a good way to evaluate players. He was a dreadful finisher first and foremost, and struggled to make good plays off the rush. However, he was already then an absolute workhorse who could push quality possession in a big role like a high-end forward. Add that he was also, and still is, our best forward at actually working the puck into the slot for scoring chances for his linemates*, and you have a pretty good player. As the cherry on top, he's added a scoring touch.

He's a legit top six forward.

* This might surprise people, but Hyman is not only good at getting to the net with the puck himself, or providing a net front presence off the puck, he's also setting up passes from the low boards into the slot at an elite level.

Reactions: 1specter

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Hyman had a sense of entitlement under Babcock? What utter nonsense, the guy's been arguably the hardest working Leaf since he put on the jersey.

The fan resentment stemmed from the fact that many fans did not value what he brought to the team because it wasn't fantastic point totals.
I meant more Babcock applied it to Hyman rather then the idea that Hyman felt or believed it. Hyman deserves to be on the top line! but he's accountable for his play now under Keefe. Accountability wasn't there with Babcock.

Jun 27, 2005
I think Hyman

snip

He's a legit top six forward.

snip

This is hilarious. If he's a top 6 guy then I guess you won't mind paying him like one after next season when his contract is up.

Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kap make $3.5M,$3.4M and $3.2M and are all pretty well 3rd liners. Does that mean that you're willing to give Zak $5M for his top 6 performance? The truth comes out when the money does.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This is hilarious. If he's a top 6 guy then I guess you won't mind paying him like one after next season when his contract is up.

Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kap make $3.5M,$3.4M and $3.2M and are all pretty well 3rd liners. Does that mean that you're willing to give Zak $5M for his top 6 performance? The truth comes out when the money does.

Hyman is work 5M AAV... for sure.

It'll be tough to make that work on the Leafs, though.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe I am wrong, but does anybody else notice the one reporter that seems to piss AM off during postgame interviews?

I think it is a Sun reporter, but even last night when the reporter was saying "was really nice to see Kappy and Mango get going" AM just didn't give a single shit lol

I have noticed it a few times, but it is always the same one reporter.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Are you really under the impression that this is how contract negotiations work?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The difference was he was a third liner with stone hands who couldn't finish chances generated by Matthews and Willy.

He's evolved into a really good top 6 F with some hands.

Players change, and opinions should be allowed to change with them.

His value, then and now, is in being one of the very best forcheckers in the league. He's the same player with the same work ethic, if he's caught a few more bounces that's great, but nobody defending him was ever praising his offense.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
to be fair, Hyman wasn't worth of the opportunity he was getting at the time, he's just been plainly better in the last couple of years and especially this year. I was very much a Hyman detractor when he was hitting goalies in the chest on tap in back door plays set up by his linemates or not being able to retrieve pucks in the corners on his own, he's making a lot more contribution to the offensive efforts of his line that he did in the first few seasons

Perhaps that's one of the few things Babs got right about the roster, sticking Hyman on Matthews wing.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Perhaps that's one of the few things Babs got right about the roster, sticking Hyman on Matthews wing.
I think Hyman got a lot more leash than anyone else had to get it right. Hyman deserves credit for earning it, I really didn't think he had the talent, but the first 2 years were of that line being less productive than it should have been because he was on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->