Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
I was at a bar watching so Habs player names are not something I can respond to. But I thought the Habs played better 5 on 5 tonight. I don't see this as a positive game for the Leafs at all really.
The Habs reminded me how we played in the tank year. All effort, minimal talent. Buzzed around and waited for a mistake.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Hey guys Habs fan coming in peace. I would like to know your impressions on Kotkaniemi, I would love to have sincere opinion from a rival team. By the way I love Marner you guys have a heck of a player and wish you the best for this season!

Kotkaniemi was fantastic imo, thought he played a great game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think Marner is going to explode this year.
How is that affecting the can and we will?

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Oz is 6 foot 2 ... Before and after the game...... Babs def. Has him penciled in as this year's Polak. Seems to make better choises and move the puck better, thankfully. He will be Dermots partner to start the season. Although he played a shift with zietsev late in the game.

Agreed, that was my point was that he is not the 7th D

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Hey guys Habs fan coming in peace. I would like to know your impressions on Kotkaniemi, I would love to have sincere opinion from a rival team. By the way I love Marner you guys have a heck of a player and wish you the best for this season!
His mom needs underwear.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
After Nylander we need to get Marner signed ASAP because the price is going to keep rising as the year goes on

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Matthews was the better player over more games last season, and he's the best player now. Preseason games and one playoff series do not change that.
And im on the hype train ? Matthew is the conductor of the train . Marner was better in every analytic stat, besides PP IP, and Points60 and S%, but that's cause matthews played 20 less games. Marners 2 way play is better than matthews And he also put up 7 more points in the play offs than Matthews ( MARNER 9 , MATTHEWS 2 ). Marner also had Bozak who slumped hard last year and JVR who was usless with out the puck. Marner drove his line every shift. Matthews got to play with Elite Talent Nylander and one of the best work horses in the NHL HYMAN, I'm not taking a shot at matthews at all , by any means. Matthews is one of the best Centers in the league but Statistically Marner was the better players last year, even tho he had a cold start putting in 2 goals in his first 2 months and have like 17 assists or somthing like that before christmas break.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Kadri was not the best player on his line tonight.

Not sure what game you were watching. Leivo played himself off the team and I didn't even know brown was on the ice. Kadri most certainly was the best in the line. Kadri needs better wingers period. He did well with AJ last year. Kap played well tonight. Naz has the skills to break AJ out of his malaise.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Great effort from Marner and Andersen. The 4th line had their best night of the pre-season as well.

The defence is sloppy though. Babs needs to change up the pairings. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd prefer Ozhiganov in the top 4 over Hainsey.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
And they’re all a hell of a lot better then Leivo.

You Leivo cult fans are like Teleqvist fans back in the day.

And you Leivo haters need to find a new sport to watch, as hate-watching can't be much fun. He plays himself off the team, fine. But so far he hasn't. On the wings neither Brown, Johnsson or Hyman haven't put in better efforts this pre-season. When they do, then I'll be happy with Leivo being moved out. I didn't think Ennis had left what I've seen of him. He certainly deserves to stay, at least until he runs out of gas.

Last edited:

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I was at the game. The real standout was Freddy. Solid play, aside from the last goal I think he could have had.

Marner and Tavares are slowly finding chemistry. Marner just keeps putting up points. Matthews seemed a bit lax, even so he put one away and nearly had the second.

4th line never used their speed effectively aside from kappys short handed goal.

Habs played hard on offense but also lax on defense. Fun game. Main takeaway is that Freddy's ready.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I get the whole he's a Toronto kid, who was a late draft pick who beat the odds to make the league and works hard but Brown needs to start producing.

In todays game you need to have 3 lines that provide you with good offense and pace.

Hyman plays bad you hear tons about it. Nylander plays bad you hear tons about it. Brown for whatever reasons seems to dodge criticism pretty well.

He needs to play better or he should be moved to the 4th line where he can be a great energy guy who plays a lot on the PK.

Reactions: Cobra777 and dsred

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I hate him already. Which is probably a good thing if you are a Habs fan. Keeps up to the speed of the game, good vision, offensive instincts, gets into scoring position. The kid is going to be a good one.

Reactions: BigBlu

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This season's iteration of Marner so far is a cross between Doug Gilmour and Patrick Kane. I could live with that.

Reactions: Macallan18

weems

Jul 3, 2008
And im on the hype train ? Matthew is the conductor of the train . Marner was better in every analytic stat, besides PP IP, and Points60 and S%, but that's cause matthews played 20 less games. Marners 2 way play is better than matthews And he also put up 7 more points in the play offs than Matthews ( MARNER 9 , MATTHEWS 2 ). Marner also had Bozak who slumped hard last year and JVR who was usless with out the puck. Marner drove his line every shift. Matthews got to play with Elite Talent Nylander and one of the best work horses in the NHL HYMAN, I'm not taking a shot at matthews at all , by any means. Matthews is one of the best Centers in the league but Statistically Marner was the better players last year, even tho he had a cold start putting in 2 goals in his first 2 months and have like 17 assists or somthing like that before christmas break.

Marners two way game is better?

Interesting take that I don't agree with.

Reactions: Alerion and kb

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Does anyone want to debate anymore that they are working on a set play from the defensive corner backhanding it to someone that's supposed to be at the bottom of the circle? They tried it several times tonight and it still isn't working. I said it the first time I saw Kadri supposedly give the puck away in the first pre-season game and I don't think anyone was seeing it (it wasn't a giveaway).

They very successfully used the same thing from the half boards the last two years. It ain't working from the corner.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Marners two way game is better?

Interesting take that I don't agree with.
That is fine because Analytic stats don't lie on that . but anyways we can agree to disagree you have your favourite and i have mine . We are on the same side anyways , all the best bud GO leafs GO

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Ya I almost switched them. Haha. I think your right. Ennis has earned the Kadri line at least to start the season.

Kadri's line needs 2 reasonably strong players to do its job. Ennis and Kapanen aren't that 2nd guy. You either need Hyman or you keep Leivo there.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
If Babcock does what he he usually does, the lines will stay as they were drawn up by babcock ,for the entire season.
( when Nylander and Hyman get back,of course).
The only changes he will make will occasionally be the right wingers, as he did last season....
So we can expect the kadri line to stay the same as well.

I hope I'm wrong, but babcock has always been stubborn and unless something is different this year,that's what I expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad