Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
No he was not the best player on the team last year. I love the guy but everyone needs to calm down a bit on the hype.
No hype hes the best 2 way player . even Boston's organization said he in the play off he was the best player on the leafs by a land slide . No hype , if he put up a equal first half to his second half of the season last year he would have hit 100 points . He only had 2 goals before December. whos the best player on the leafs than?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
A+- Marner
A- Matthews, Freddy
B- Kadri, Lindholm, Kappy, Zaitsev
C- Reilly, Gardiner, Johnsson, Oz- man, Marleau, Ennis
F- Rosen
I (Invisible)- Hainsey, Leivo, Brown, Tavares, Moore

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No hype hes the best 2 way player . even Boston's organization said he in the play off he was the best player on the leafs by a land slide . No hype , if he put up a equal first half to his second half of the season last year he would have hit 100 points . He only had 2 goals before December. whos the best player on the leafs than?
Matthews was the better player over more games last season, and he's the best player now. Preseason games and one playoff series do not change that.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
For tonight's game

Great
Marner: head and shoulder our best player
Kapanen: putting up marner levels of effort and skill but without the iq to finish the plays off
Andersen: Looking like mid season form out there, all around great moving the puck and making big saves

Good
Tavares: created a lot of offence, even if nothing showed for it, chemistry will take time, he had tons of good passes to players that died on there stick, but he was still good
Matthews: getting the points but missing the jump to his game he usually has imo
Gardiner: moving the puck well very few mistakes
Ennis: creating chances all around but is still weak on the puck
Lindholm: was everywhere on the ice looked good for the most part

Okay/Avg
Rielly: looks to be getting into better form as the pre season goes on, he was good just not first pairing good
OZ: a bit indecisive at times but works players over and clears the crease, pretty decent puck skills all in all
Zaitsev: a bit indecisive as well, but moves the puck well and looks to be closer to his rookie season form then last year
Kadri: didnt do a whole lot and had a few bad plays and turnovers but strong on the puck and was trying to create
Brown/Leivo: Not a whole lot going on very strong on the puck and a few chances, neither positive or negative really
Marleau: quite game wish he was more impactful in his movements but made some good plays, skating is still good

Bad
Johnson: Looked like he was doing skating drills at times, less planning in his movements to his counter parts.
Rosen: unlike OZ he didnt do much of anything else other then being indecisive and turning pucks over
Hainsey: wasnt a terrible game and still looks to be a borderline top 4 form but hes going to be on the top pair he cant play like tonight if hes going to be playing so high in the lineup.

No opinion
Moore: didnt notice him more then maybe twice out there tonight.

Reactions: blueberrie

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I have zero doubt whatsoever that we will ice the puck more than any other team in the NHL, just like we did last season.

Our breakout should not be this bad

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Hey guys Habs fan coming in peace. I would like to know your impressions on Kotkaniemi, I would love to have sincere opinion from a rival team. By the way I love Marner you guys have a heck of a player and wish you the best for this season!
Kotkaniemi is a stud. I believed he was always the right pick for your organization. I would be cautious about him playing the full season in the NHL, but he will definitely get some games in at this point.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Hey guys Habs fan coming in peace. I would like to know your impressions on Kotkaniemi, I would love to have sincere opinion from a rival team. By the way I love Marner you guys have a heck of a player and wish you the best for this season!

He's great, may he lead you to a 9th place finish ;).

Really though, 9 games for a taste then send him down to cook.

Reactions: Maitz

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We’ve been waiting 4 years for him to show something. He’s 25 and can’t beat out 22 year olds. Babcock clearly doesn’t view him highly. I’m just ready to move on. It will probably be in his best interest too. I’m sure he can get minutes on a bad team so he can at least better his game instead of sitting in a press box.

What 22 year olds isn't he beating out? Ennis is 28. Hyman is 26. Johnsson is 24 (and hasn't outperformed him in the pre-season). Kapanen has been better, but he's a 1st round pick so he should be.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Who do you think is in the 5/6 over Oz?

Oz is 6 foot 2 ... Before and after the game...... Babs def. Has him penciled in as this year's Polak. Seems to make better choises and move the puck better, thankfully. He will be Dermots partner to start the season. Although he played a shift with zietsev late in the game.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I was at a bar watching so Habs player names are not something I can respond to. But I thought the Habs played better 5 on 5 tonight. I don't see this as a positive game for the Leafs at all really.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Somehow our Leafs won the game all the while playing rather poorly!

Special teams alone won this game. 5 on 5 our team was very flat and not sharp at all!

Reactions: Cobra777 and glue

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015

hes good, gonne be great, hes a nhl 3C already...i told the habs board and draft board this months ago, it wasn't well received

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marleau: Quiet night aside from his goal, but he looked solid for the most part.
Matthews: not quite as dominant as I'd like, but still looked very good. could have had several goals and was dangerous
Ennis: pretty all over the place. Brutal on some shifts, had some slick and crafty moments on others.
Moore: Not very good, clearly not an NHLer
Tavares: had some chances but overall was not much of a factor
Marner: easily the best player in the game tonight. he dominated
Leivo: invisible
Kadri: pretty good, had some nice work on the PP. not anything too special though
Brown: invisible
4th line: good
Freddy: good

I'm not going to get into the defense. the entire defensive structure needs to do a complete 180. it is extremely ugly to watch

Reactions: Cobra777

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Almost. I’d go:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown
Ya I almost switched them. Haha. I think your right. Ennis has earned the Kadri line at least to start the season.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
What 22 year olds isn't he beating out? Ennis is 28. Hyman is 26. Johnsson is 24 (and hasn't outperformed him in the pre-season). Kapanen has been better, but he's a 1st round pick so he should be.

And they’re all a hell of a lot better then Leivo.

You Leivo cult fans are like Teleqvist fans back in the day.

Reactions: NCoRe and BM14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad