Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yea, I do. Every time and I try to be honest in my analysis. Either way, the ref didn't analyze it to a "ridiculous degree". He saw a fast play and made a quick decision based on what he saw and made a call. There's nothing untoward about it and my ridiculous degree of analysis tells me at the very least, it wasn't the crazy call I thought it was at first.
It wasn't able to be reviewed because of the penalty call. The ref saw contact against Andersen but didn't notice he was pushed into him. It was an honest mistake. Fine.

But some fans here (get this...) are arguing that even after seeing the slow motion instant replays, that the penalty should still count. You get that? I realize you'll probably think I'm just joking. But read through the page. The sin of literally being pushed into Andersen is now a punishable offence.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It wasn't able to be reviewed because of the penalty call. The ref saw contact against Andersen but didn't notice he was pushed into him. It was an honest mistake. Fine.

But some fans here (get this...) are arguing that even after seeing the slow motion instant replays, that the penalty should still count. You get that? I realize you'll probably think I'm just joking. But read through the page. The sin of literally being pushed into Andersen is now a punishable offence.

Yeah, I'm one of them. He wasn't pushed in, he was going to make that contact either way because there wasn't enough space to skate through the crease - and it was 100% in the crease. Again I say this is a borderline opinion and I would accept the call either way - after my ridiculous level of analysis.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yeah, I'm one of them. He wasn't pushed in, he was going to make that contact either way because there wasn't enough space to skate through the crease - and it was 100% in the crease. Again I say this is a borderline opinion and I would accept the call either way - after my ridiculous level of analysis.
I think it's absolutely and utterly absurd to suggest that Dumoulin would have had "no choice" but to hit Andersen in the head anyways if he wasn't directly pushed into it.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I respect your opinion. It's not mine but the world still turns.
So if somebody was murdered by being pushed in front of a moving bus, you'd call it a suicide? "Whether he was pushed in front of it or not, that bus was going to hit him."

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
You're forgetting one important point. Hainsey pushed him. I would be pretty mad if that was called back on us.
you're just wrong, straight up. Compare the before and after, the only thing moving is the elbow, hainsey is pushing on his trunk, that transferred force had literally nothing to do with it. Andersen is clearly elbowed in the head here.

upload_2018-3-11_22-22-32.png

upload_2018-3-11_22-24-10.png

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
you're just wrong, straight up. Compare the before and after, the only thing moving is the elbow, hainsey is pushing on his trunk, that transferred force had literally nothing to do with it. Andersen is clearly elbowed in the head here.

View attachment 104075

View attachment 104077

Lol still images from one angle... Excellent proof. No sir you are completely wrong. Watch the video very carefully don't just look at a blurry still image.

Dumoulin's elbow doesn't even hit Andersen. Like I said he tucked his shoulder in to avoid contact but was shoved by Hainsey so he had nowhere to go. It's his waist that hit's Andersen and again it' because Hainsey gives him a slight shove. Yes contact is made but Hainsey gave him the shove that initiates it. Some think that shouldn't be a goal which I can understand. But I feel if you are pushed into the goalie that's on the opposing player and that should be a good goal.

League needs to get a concrete definition of what goalie interference is.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Lol still images from one angle... Excellent proof. No sir you are completely wrong. Watch the video very carefully don't just look at a blurry still image.

Dumoulin's elbow doesn't even hit Andersen. Like I said he tucked his shoulder in to avoid contact but was shoved by Hainsey so he had nowhere to go. It's his waist that hit's Andersen and again it' because Hainsey gives him a slight shove. Yes contact is made but Hainsey gave him the shove that initiates it. Some think that shouldn't be a goal which I can understand. But I feel if you are pushed into the goalie that's on the opposing player and that should be a good goal.

I saw the game and I thought the slow motion replay showed Dumoulin elbowed Andy's head. But if it was his hip, then perhaps the ref saw him skating too deeply into the crease causing interference on Andy.

Last edited:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

lmao this guy, such denial. He elbowed him in the head, get over yourself already. Its okay to stop defending your erroneous position, pride will only hold you back my friend.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That was an absolute statement game.

People are too transfixed on was it a penalty/was it not a penalty.

I am not going to lessen the win because Murray wasn't in net either. Murray is injured and Pitt might have to play this other tandem in the playoffs. This is the Pitt team they would face.

This was a good team effort by Toronto. The players decide the outcome and not the refs. The referee is not allowed to put the puck in the net.

Too bad for all those sour Pitt fans, and too bad for all the endless Leaf haters.

The Leafs are a good team that can contend with the best teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That was an absolute statement game.

People are too transfixed on was it a penalty/was it not a penalty.

I am not going to lessen the win because Murray wasn't in net either. Murray is injured and Pitt might have to play this other tandem in the playoffs. This is the Pitt team they would face.

This was a good team effort by Toronto. The players decide the outcome and not the refs. The referee is not allowed to put the puck in the net.

Too bad for all those sour Pitt fans, and too bad for all the endless Leaf haters.

The Leafs are a good team that can contend with the best teams.

Hahaha so true. I mean I understand that it's controversial and an interesting thing for people to debate but to me the main thing is, we clobbered the two time defending champions. And sure they were without their #1 goalie but we were without our best player.

Feels good man!

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Said it right after the play happened and I said it again watching slow motion replay. Gutsy, correct call. Ref deserves to be singled out for workplace excellence.

Reactions: therealkoho

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
When I saw the overhead angle of the play, it looked like the impact was with Dumoulin's hip rather than his elbow, but that impact was a direct result of Dumoulin lifting his leg unnecessarily as he skated by Andersen, directly through the crease.

As someone who believes a penalty needs to be involved in the over-turning or challenging of a Goal via Goaltender Interference, I was pretty happy to see this outcome.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada

Im happy they called it back but imagine if it was mathews who scored. And also pretty much every goal that is scored in the playoffs are like this, except even worse. Tough play for the refs but playoff hockey you cant call back every goal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I absolutely agree about the lack of consistency. It's most certainly a problem.

But in this case, Hainsey directly pushed Dumoulin into Andersen. It was a flat out absurd call.

And to suggest that any player in the crease can be pushed against the goalie for a free powerplay is utterly insane. It's a suggestion that borders on being psychotic.

although I know this will have very little effect on your opinion of what happened, dumolins line was mid crease, hainsey's push did not change that line but may have accelerated dumolin somewhat....and the big two...Dumolin made no visible effort to avoid the contact(crucial point on whether or not to call goaltender interference) and that the principal point of contact was the head..which is, as we all know, a foul

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
final word on this

this is why the referee's call is correct

Button swore up and down that this is a travesty and miscarriage of the rules, and thet the goal should have counted

what more does anyone need to know

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad