Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Somebody posted this the other day in the Hyman thread but these numbers are much better with Brown and AJ. Hyman statistically doesn’t seem to be a great fit for that line.

5v5
Tavares with Hyman: 2.76pts/60
Tavares W/o Hyman: 4.69pts/60
Tavares with Brown: 4.14pts/60

Marner with Hyman: 3.10pts/60
Marner W/o Hyman: 3.76pts/60
Marner with Brown: 3.55pts/60
Reality rears it's ugly head!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Where would this team be without Tavares and Marner playing hard every night. Perhaps Matthews Nylander and Kadri could learn something about being professionals from them. To suggest that Matthews should get McDavid money the way he’s loafing around is an insult. He shouldn’t even get Tavares money.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs are 4th in the league in score adjusted CF% in the 15gms since Willy came back:

1.SJS 60.1%
2.MTL 56.0%
3.VGK 54.2%
4.TOR 54.2%
5.NSH 53.5%

and 5th in scf%

1.SJS 58.4%
2.VGK 55.4%
3.STL 54.3%
4.MTL 54.2%
5.TOR 54.1%

and 1st in hdcf%

1.TOR 59.7%
2.STL 58.1%
3.SJS 58.0%
4.TBL 57.4%
5.MIN 56.2%

15gms isn't huge, but it's not nothing.

I'm not sure I remember the Leafs ever having a sustained stretch of possession as good as this for this long since we became aware of these stats.

roggie13

Jan 10, 2019
Matthews doesn't look the same don't get me wrong I really like him as a player (loads of talent) but this is Toronto the biggest hockey market in the NHL it almost looks like he doesn't try anymore perhaps he is injured or perhaps coming to Toronto was something he dreamed about. A star with all the talent in the world in one of the biggest franchises in all of hockey thinking all eyes will be on him, that he will be the face of the Toronto Maple Leafs. But now Tavares is stealing the show more goals lots of media attention etc. Kinda reminds me when Kessel was here all about himself and not a team player when things didn't go right Kessel got pouty and started floating . Like I said I like him and don't care much for Tavares but at least JT tries every game

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well,that may be true,however,I have noticed that Leaf players,almost to a man prefer to try and steal a puck from an opponent as opposed to engaging them physically. Maybe it's because Marner and Matthews are successful at it that Babs has adopted it as a strategy. Cuts down on penalties (which ,there really is no rhyme or reason to what the Refs are gonna call) and can be advantageous.
The criticism of course is that this is 'soft play' and therefore the team is 'soft',but from what I've seen in my time is...the league wants it this way. Let the 'dipsy-do' players run free cause the rough and tumble,beat-em-in the alley strategy is gone...long gone! For better or worse, time will tell.

Boston is #1 PIM/GP(hot on our tail)>>>>>>>>Leafs #31 PIM/GP

so i have to ask ,,,,,,,WTF are you talking about

AVs#5+PO slotted
Jets #8=#2 in the cent
Flames#9 = #1 in the pacific

dispsy-do don't mean jack fckn sht brother, till the refs call the games without bias.

do me 1 favor, look at where this leafs fast/skilled/talented team ended up last season in PP/OP,,,3rd last in the league

AND look at this seasons PP/OP,,,, LAST IN THE ENITIRE FCKN LEAGUEEEEEE!!!!

HM ,,,,,,you want to see something totally FREAKY????

Go look at last seasons #1 PP/OP and today's #1 PP/OT,,,hint hint AVs

Last season the AVS #1 PP/OP,,,this season AVS #1 PP/OP
last season leafs #29 PP/OP,,,,this season #31 PP/OP

^^^^^^^^^^how does THAT make any rational sense????????

I ASK anyone,,,,,,,,, after 125 consecutive games from the start of last season to now,,,,,, how can this kind of imbalance be even mathematically possible??, when the premise of penalty calling is a unknown random event?

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs are 4th in the league in score adjusted CF% in the 15gms since Willy came back:

1.SJS 60.1%
2.MTL 56.0%
3.VGK 54.2%
4.TOR 54.2%
5.NSH 53.5%

and 5th in scf%

1.SJS 58.4%
2.VGK 55.4%
3.STL 54.3%
4.MTL 54.2%
5.TOR 54.1%

and 1st in hdcf%

1.TOR 59.7%
2.STL 58.1%
3.SJS 58.0%
4.TBL 57.4%
5.MIN 56.2%

15gms isn't huge, but it's not nothing.

I'm not sure I remember the Leafs ever having a sustained stretch of possession as good as this for this long since we became aware of these stats.

Imagine adding a top 2/4 defenseman to that group? That's really the only downfall.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Boston is #1 PIM/GP(hot on our tail)>>>>>>>>Leafs #31 PIM/GP

so i have to ask ,,,,,,,WTF are you talking about

AVs#5+PO slotted
Jets #8=#2 in the cent
Flames#9 = #1 in the pacific

dispsy-do don't mean jack fckn sht brother, till the refs call the games without bias.

do me 1 favor, look at where this leafs fast/skilled/talented team ended up last season in PP/OP,,,3rd last in the league

AND look at this seasons PP/OP,,,, LAST IN THE ENITIRE FCKN LEAGUEEEEEE!!!!

HM ,,,,,,you want to see something totally FREAKY????

Go look at last seasons #1 PP/OP and today's #1 PP/OT,,,hint hint AVs

Last season the AVS #1 PP/OP,,,this season AVS #1 PP/OP
last season leafs #29 PP/OP,,,,this season #31 PP/OP

^^^^^^^^^^how does THAT make any rational sense????????
Not quite sure what you're trying to say...or how it relates to my post!

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Matthews doesn't look the same don't get me wrong I really like him as a player (loads of talent) but this is Toronto the biggest hockey market in the NHL it almost looks like he doesn't try anymore perhaps he is injured or perhaps coming to Toronto was something he dreamed about. A star with all the talent in the world in one of the biggest franchises in all of hockey thinking all eyes will be on him, that he will be the face of the Toronto Maple Leafs. But now Tavares is stealing the show more goals lots of media attention etc. Kinda reminds me when Kessel was here all about himself and not a team player when things didn't go right Kessel got pouty and started floating . Like I said I like him and don't care much for Tavares but at least JT tries every game

He has 12 points in his last 10 games and a goal called back last game. He wasn't great tonight but he had 4 shots.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Somebody posted this the other day in the Hyman thread but these numbers are much better with Brown and AJ. Hyman statistically doesn’t seem to be a great fit for that line.

5v5
Tavares with Hyman: 2.76pts/60
Tavares W/o Hyman: 4.69pts/60
Tavares with Brown: 4.14pts/60

Marner with Hyman: 3.10pts/60
Marner W/o Hyman: 3.76pts/60
Marner with Brown: 3.55pts/60
The Jacksonville Jaguars QB, Blake Bortles, always put up good stats.

When the Jags were behind a couple of scores, that is when Bortles finally gets the offense moving.

Of course by then, the chances of Jacksonville winning the game was very low. They lose another game because Bortles could not make plays when it mattered.

Zach Hyman was dominant in the 1st period tonight, the period where the Leafs basically won the game. After that, not much more from him. In fact the whole team was going probably 90% effort the rest of the way.

That 5-0 game against Vancouver, the Matthews line got all their points against a tired team when it was already 2-0, then 3-0, then 4-0 ... ...

Offensive stats can be misleading. What is important, when does the player steps up and makes a difference in game. QB Blake Bortles was unable to do that, even though his stats and numbers suggest otherwise.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Imagine adding a top 2/4 defenseman to that group? That's really the only downfall.

Dave,,, i am not going to let you away with this,,,, till they find another reason to ban me

there is no one in the pending UFA market worth a crap(aka,,grab a rental)

and

we don't have the cap space next season to add anyone with term , who is a top 4 , let alone top 2.

do we fix our cap moving Melander????and PM?,,, well that would open 13.2m in cap space from our 3rd line WINGERS

but lemme guess,,,you want to move our 2nd pair RHSD,,,,,so going into next season our top RHSD is OZY

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Jacksonville Jaguars QB, Blake Bortles, always put up good stats.

When the Jags were behind a couple of scores, that is when Bortles finally gets the offense moving.

Of course by then, the chances of Jacksonville winning the game was very low. They lose another game because Bortles could not make plays when it mattered.

Zach Hyman was dominant in the 1st period tonight, the period where the Leafs basically won the game. After that, not much more from him. In fact the whole team was going probably 90% effort the rest of the way.

That 5-0 game against Vancouver, the Matthews line got all their points against a tired team when it was already 2-0, then 3-0, then 4-0 ... ...

Offensive stats can be misleading. What is important, when does the player steps up and makes a difference in game. QB Blake Bortles was unable to do that, even though his stats and numbers suggest otherwise.

Hyman had a great first period - but notice that that great work turned into points.

nobody minds Hyman when he's contributing to points.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Hyman sure doesn't bring much skill, but the tenacity and hard work he brings does have its place for sure. Glad to see he's back grinding away out there
what he does in the corners is more than just hard work though. It looks different to me than other players who show tenacity like kapanen or johnsson and I suspect it's because Hyman has spent more time learning his craft. Like tonight I saw him pinning a guys leg with his knee so he couldn't spin. And another time he slowed down to let a guy skate into the back of his elbow while he stole the puck. We have other hard workers on the team but I still feel a lot more confident when hyman goes into the corners for a puck battle and I suspect it's because he's simply more skilled at it.

Reactions: Optomist

roggie13

Jan 10, 2019
Yes but still looks disinterested doesn't look like the Matthews of last year 1 goal in 8 games. Remember I like him ....like him better when he is scoring. Guys like AM can't go into scoring slumps especially during playoffs. Kadri and Willy are in the same boat if not for JT (not my favorite leaf) and Marner who knows where we would be in the standings

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's not even being bias, its 100% true. Not just the Leafs, but NHL refs seem coached to give the losing team more powerplays to give fans a false sense of parity. We see it more because we're leading most of the time.

the AVs finished #1 last season in PP/OP and are #1 this season
the leafs,,,#29 last season in PP/OP and #31 this season

i see a trend
in something that is "supposed to be random and evening out , over time"

125 games later(aka 1.5 consecutive full seasons),, the AVs are tops and leafs are basement. Funny that.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Don't want to be negative but Kadri is starting to look like he didn't play for 3 months as well.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad