Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
See how much fun it can be winning games with skill and grit and offering some push back, hacking, jousting, hitting, slashing?

So much fun. Let's not wish all the physical stuff and between the whistles play out of our game again.
It’s pretty apparent there are a number of newer fans around, they’ll catch on at some point.
Toughness has and always will be part of the game, Dubas realized this. A year late but he got there eventually which is all that matters now.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
See how much fun it can be winning games with skill and grit and offering some push back, hacking, jousting, hitting, slashing?

So much fun. Let's not wish all the physical stuff and between the whistles play out of our game again.

It’s only fun if you’re winning though. That’s the difficult thing. Team’s spend decades churning to find the skill necessary to win. You can pick up the tough elements we have easily in one offseason and a TDL, but so long as you have a chance to win first.

Reactions: Leaftors

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I've been waiting for over 40 years to do just that so MTL falling out of a PO spot would be a huge disappointment for me.

Guys, don't worry - we're going to make the playoffs.
The Leafs fan in me runs too deep to be confident against any team let alone the Habs. The could dress a team of 7 year old kids and it'd still terrify me

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s pretty apparent there are a number of newer fans around, they’ll catch on at some point.
Toughness has and always will be part of the game, Dubas realized this. A year late but he got there eventually which is all that matters now.

Not that they were the glory days or anything like that, but I think a younger fan would have fewer Leaf reference points for successful defensive and gritty playoff hockey if they've never witnessed a series victory.

The palm sweating 3x 1-0 shutouts Potvin pitched in the old Chicago Stadium in 1994, the shut blocking and hard hitting defense late in the Philadelphia series in 1999, the Leafs and Islanders 7 game slug fest in 2002, even various Ottawa series where they were outgunning us pretty badly. When you see grit and toughness and defense and clutch play contribute to a series win, you'll never forget it.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As usual, teammates gave Sandin an entirely uninspiring, unimaginative and wholly predictable nickname: "Sandy".

After taking out the much bigger Wheeler with a solid reverse check, I hereby propose Rasmus be referred to as "Captain Crunch", a tribute to legendary bodychecker and bone rattler, Scott Stevens.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The Leafs fan in me runs too deep to be confident against any team let alone the Habs. The could dress a team of 7 year old kids and it'd still terrify me

Haha, I know how you feel. For me it's not the Leaf fan in me, but rather decades of experience following (and betting on) pro sports that tells me there are no sure things. We could lose in the 1st round to anyone, that's just life. But I have been waiting over 40 years for revenge on MTL and the chance of losing is just part of the deal, just as it always is. And if there was no chance of losing then winning wouldn't mean anything so ... bring on the Habs I say!

I will be rooting for them against CAL tomorrow night. Scoreboard watching ... hoping for MTL to win ... never thought I'd be saying that but here I am. :laugh::laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Glad I'm not the only one.

The thought of losing to Montreal in the first round makes me sick. I'm beyond nervous. However, if they play like they did last night and bring Hyman, Andersen, Riley Nash and Bogo back into the fold it will help ease things pretty quickly.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Best part was him pretending like he didn't do anything and actually whining to the ref. Dude, you just threw a flying elbow to someone's face. The Jets are a rat team. For all the talk recently of the Leafs being "dirty" people sure do ignore the Edler knee on Hyman, the spear from Ehlers, the headshot from Dubois on Kerfoot, the Copp crosscheck to the face of Tavares, the Perrault elbow on Tavares, Landing on Campbells back when he's laying down etc. And that's all in the last week. No wonder Simmonds called it out because the league doesn't seem to care. Do we really wanna go back to players policing themselves again?

100% agreed.

Reactions: tonymono67

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Not that they were the glory days or anything like that, but I think a younger fan would have fewer Leaf reference points for successful defensive and gritty playoff hockey if they've never witnessed a series victory.

The palm sweating 3x 1-0 shutouts Potvin pitched in the old Chicago Stadium in 1994, the shut blocking and hard hitting defense late in the Philadelphia series in 1999, the Leafs and Islanders 7 game slug fest in 2002, even various Ottawa series where they were outgunning us pretty badly. When you see grit and toughness and defense and clutch play contribute to a series win, you'll never forget it.
Can we bring Yuskevich and Markov out of retirement ha ha.......the bash brothers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13 and Pinto

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Brooks has surpassed Engvall on the depth chart. Neither are star players but Brooks has a high hockey IQ and can actually create some offense. Engvall has better physical tools but makes low percentage plays most of the time.

For sure. Brooks is also much more physically engaged and finishes all checks. It's very nice to see and what you need from a bottom 6 player.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
He needs to be consistent every night. That's the difference between a regular and a borderline player. Gally with all his attributes had to learn this lesson.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I like the the way Brooks has played as well. Need to see it over a much longer stretch before I'll believe he can play like that every single night... Much more impressive than Engvall, however, who floats around as the most un-engaged, 6'5 cream puff that I've ever seen lol.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
THE GOOD: Rasmus f***ing Sandin, he's a bulldog with real skill. I thought I saw it last year or at least the beginnings' of it. The kid has what it takes to be an everyday NHL defender no doubt, he'll still need to accumulate experience to reach his potential, but I think I'm seeing a definite 2nd pairing guy, maybe even a #1. He's got a way to go but he's sure showing the signs and certainly has some confidence. The Captain is playing like the former #1 pick that he is, his early hit on Ehlers set the tone for the entire game, I didn't like that no Leaf jumped in when he got flattened in the crease, but generally the team overall didn't take any backward steps. Oh and Jack seems to be back!

THE BAD: There doesn't seem to be too much to complain about, there were the usual breakdowns here and there on the D, but you have to keep in my mind that, this is the Winnipeg Jets we were playing, no pushovers anywhere in that line-up, they are a typical Maurice team, they're physical from the opening whistle, they're big and fast, and they are really disciplined, but we beat them at their game! Which isn't so bad is it?

THE UGLY: How JT taking that crosscheck in the head did not get called, or as I mentioned above, at least retaliated against, I just don't know, but somebody needs to dummy Pionk.

Honorable mention: Brooksie, keep going big boy you're playing for a regular spot next year, prove you still got the game that scored 335 in the dubya, just a little more work on the blades and I think you're there. It sure doesn't hurt him getting to be around Jumbo and Spetz. I think he's a keeper

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As usual, teammates gave Sandin an entirely uninspiring, unimaginative and wholly predictable nickname: "Sandy".

After taking out the much bigger Wheeler with a solid reverse check, I hereby propose Rasmus be referred to as "Captain Crunch", a tribute to legendary bodychecker and bone rattler, Scott Stevens.

I thought he was Sandman?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My expectations for Brooks have evolved, interesting to watch what he brings with renewed confidence.

He's starting to look like a standard issue Tampa Bay utility forward. Hopefully he just sponges all the hockey ability he can from Jumbo and Vintage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad