Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Right.....but unless Van passes us, whatever Montreal does is irrelevant. Until Van pushes it's way into 4th the results for any other team do not matter to our playoff chances.

We only care about about the 5th place team passing us. (for PO implications)

I'm just giving you the reason Montreal is relevant as you asked for. If both M/V pass us, we miss the playoffs and that's why none of the sites have us as clinched yet. Calgary can't reach us so this is the only way we can miss. That's why Montreal is not irrelevant (to us).

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Who hasn't played soccer? Put cleats on a hockey player, he can play soccer, put skates on a soccer player and enjoy the entertainment.

giphy.gif

Nice

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm just giving you the reason Montreal is relevant as you asked for. If both M/V pass us, we miss the playoffs and that's why none of the sites have us as clinched yet. Calgary can't reach us so this is the only way we can miss. That's why Montreal is not irrelevant (to us).

No that is incorrect. In order to miss, Van, Mont, Edm, and Wpg all have to "pass" us.

I understand we haven't mathematically clinched, but as of today, the only team that matters to our clinching is Van. That could change but that is situation right now.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
No that is incorrect. In order to miss, Van, Mont, Edm, and Wpg all have to "pass" us.

I understand we haven't mathematically clinched, but as of today, the only team that matters to our clinching is Van. That could change but that is situation right now.

Jesus man, let it go. You said Montreal is irrelevant to the Leafs clinching a playoff spot, I've demonstrated beyond human imagination that you were 100%, objectively wrong when you said that. FFS, you want to keep charging up this hill? Then you get the last word.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Jesus man, let it go. You said Montreal is irrelevant to the Leafs clinching a playoff spot, I've demonstrated beyond human imagination that you were 100%, objectively wrong when you said that. FFS, you want to keep charging up this hill? Then you get the last word.

Ok, in your opinion a team that is already in a PO spot can somehow push out another team that is in a PO spot. Let's move on.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ok, in your opinion a team that is already in a PO spot can somehow push out another team that is in a PO spot. Let's move on.

Sorry, I can't follow through. Why don't you do this: show me one way of the Leafs missing the playoffs without Montreal passing them and I'll give you the trophy. I mean, there's a reason they haven't clinched yet right?

Show me.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
There is a difference between something being a mathematical possibility, and something being being relevant.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
There is a difference between something being a mathematical possibility, and something being being relevant.

But that's not what the other poster is saying. They are saying that somehow because the Habs are already in 4th they are irrelevant to our playoff chances. I'm simply saying they are. Even if it's a 1 in a 1000, they are.

And I'd like to point out that this discussion started because one poster claimed the Leafs clinched last night which was false...because of what I'm f***ing saying. In the context of what the conversation is (why we haven't clinched) IT'S LITERALLY THE ONLY RELEVANT THING (besides Vancouver). Learn context people. No one is arguing it's going to happen.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This was a playoff-like win. Was the first time in years that I've seen the Leafs use physical play to take another team out of the game. I'm starting to feel confident that this team is built for a playoff run.

Just hope the goaltending holds up...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sorry, I can't follow through. Why don't you do this: show me one way of the Leafs missing the playoffs without Montreal passing them and I'll give you the trophy. I mean, there's a reason they haven't clinched yet right?

Show me.

Of course Montreal would have to pass them. So would Edm, Wpg and Van.

But if only Mon passed them they'd be in 2nd
If Mon and 1 of Edm /Wpg passed them, they'd be in 3rd
If Mon and both of Edm /Wpg passed them, they'd be in 4th

All of those scenarios keep them in a PO spot

So which team hasn't been mentioned yet? For those not paying attention, it's the Vancouver Canucks.

The only way the Leafs miss is if Mon, Edm, Wpg AND Van all pass them.

Montreal / Edmonton / Winnipeg are not factors without Vancouver.

They CANNOT miss without Vancouver (and the other 3) passing them. That is while Van is the only relevant impediment to clinching AS OF TODAY.

Not should sure how to make it more clear.

Reactions: bax and david999

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Nice 3 full days off before the next game. Then it’s Habs time. 4 games against them to conclude the schedule. We can be their undoing. Flames could leap frog them and we would start against them in the Playoffs.

I don’t know what I would I like more, screw the Habs out of a playoff spot, or meet them in the playoffs for the first time in decades and sweep them.

Either way, it will be sweet.

While it would be so, so sweet to be the reason the Habs miss, I’d rather face them in the first round and knock them out. Especially with how unbearably boring a Sutter coached Flames team is.

Reactions: tonymono67

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While it would be so, so sweet to be the reason the Habs miss, I’d rather face them in the first round and knock them out. Especially with how unbearably boring a Sutter coached Flames team is.

I've been waiting for over 40 years to do just that so MTL falling out of a PO spot would be a huge disappointment for me.

Guys, don't worry - we're going to make the playoffs.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
See how much fun it can be winning games with skill and grit and offering some push back, hacking, jousting, hitting, slashing?

So much fun. Let's not wish all the physical stuff and between the whistles play out of our game again.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Whoa did you just say Tiger and Kurt weren’t tough? There goes all your credibility. Those guys allowed Sittler and Salming to do their thing without being assaulted by thugs and if they were they were held accountable. Tiger had a nose that went in 3 directions but he protected his I doubt you’d get into fight with Kurt, unless you had a death wish.

My point wasn’t that I’d switch this team with that one but I was referring to the fun it was watching those games where anything could happen at any time, including 12 guys going at it like cowboys in a saloon lol. Korn had a fight in the penalty box against Philly. Good times.

Never mentioned Tiger. He was indeed very tough. Who is Kurt...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
See how much fun it can be winning games with skill and grit and offering some push back, hacking, jousting, hitting, slashing? So much fun. Let's not wish all the physical stuff and between the whistles play out of our game again.
Fun for fans to have a bloodfest, but also rather inconsequential to the actual end result, and as we saw, extremely risky in terms of accumulating injuries. Which is why it's great to have a team like the Leafs, who can push back and lay a physical beatdown when necessary, but aren't reliant on and endlessly focused on all of the silly extracurriculars.

Reactions: authentic

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
The last two games were so fun. I love the fight back.

I have zero fear of the Jets and wish we could dismantle them in the first round. Sure they’re skilled but they don’t have one fear-inducing player or fighter, meanwhile Foligno, Simmonds, Muzz, Bogo and apparently Thornton can all take heads off. I’m more weary of the Habs than any of the other North teams.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
In the North division, our biggest challenge is ourselves. If we get decent goaltending, olay the game right, the way we can, limit mistakes, get the PP going, nobody can touch us. If we don’t show up and give 100%, from top to bottom, we are vulnerable. But if they don’t make it to the Cup Semis this year, they can only look in the mirror. The talent on this team is easily good enough, now we find out if they possess the rest of what is needed when it counts.

Reactions: willmma

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad